Home

Is it too easy to get rocked?

This is a discussion on Is it too easy to get rocked? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Are stuns too common?
Yes 17 73.91%
No 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2019, 04:17 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Is it too easy to get rocked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeroXVII
I don't think a lot of people utilize the tools available to them in game, and are quick to place everything on block breakers and yada yada.

I rarely see anybody utilizing the minor lunges, the major back lunges when rocked to get out of range, or conversely using side step counters, back lunge straight, block counters etc etc.

Heck, even simple circling does wonders, just ask Advaita_X.

If I fight somebody who's a scrub and has defensive holes all over the place I will generally get one to at most three rocks before finishing the fight. Sometimes I'll just break a dude down with no rocks until the final round and that first KD will be the last.

Styles also have a lot to do with things, and some people simply aren't capable of making reads and capitalizing on their opponents when the opportunity arises.

I think what gets guys rocked too soon, is that they either overcommit/rely on a specific strike or string of combinations and expect not to get hit.

I can't rely on forcing rocks which were easier then than now, and I prefer it to be that way.
See, that's exactly what I meant: "you're not playing the game correctly". And what this also is is you're not rocking guys correctly. Don't you see how ridiculous that sounds and what the issue is here?

You're thinking about the game in purely mechanical terms here, and I'm thinking about it from a realism standpoint as well and the way I see it, 8 rocks are 8 rocks (random number, could be any number really) and the fight should be stopped much earlier. It doesn't matter if it's a scrub or the best player in the world. When one gets such a big number of health events, they have succeeded in pure sporting, real life terms, and it shouldn't matter how those health events have been achieved. And what you're essentially saying is git gud in order to take advantage of what's already the biggest success a fighter can achieve in an MMA fight: hurting your opponent. Let alone hurting them a myriad of times. The game shouldn't allow this, plain and simple.

MartialMind's a top player, he has to rock people that are way below his level a bunch times, people that are closer to his level a bunch of times and quite often, he himself gets rocked a bunch of times before powering through. Most times he doesn't even care if he gets hurt because he knows it's inconsequential and that he'll get plenty of opportunities to turn things round due to his skill.

That's not how MMA works though. You can't afford to get hurt a myriad of times before learning someone's patterns and using the experience to beat them. Instead, you try not to get hurt in the first place because that one time can cost you everything. And if it doesn't, the next two will. Surely you understand what I'm saying here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #26
MVP

Quote:
I don't think a lot of people utilize the tools available to them in game, and are quick to place everything on block breakers and yada yada.

I rarely see anybody utilizing the minor lunges, the major back lunges when rocked to get out of range, or conversely using side step counters, back lunge straight, block counters etc etc.

If I fight somebody who's a scrub and has defensive holes all over the place I will generally get one to at most three rocks before finishing the fight. Sometimes I'll just break a dude down with no rocks until the final round and that first KD will be the last.

Styles also have a lot to do with things, and some people simply aren't capable of making reads and capitalizing on their opponents when the opportunity arises.

I think what gets guys rocked too soon, is that they either overcommit/rely on a specific strike or string of combinations and expect not to get hit.

I can't rely on forcing rocks which were easier then than now, and I prefer it to be that way.
This why we look up to you guys to give this info in this game .

I wish EA would hire you guys to just do a definite tutorial on these things .

For me I will try , I've heard of some of these defensive moves but I'm sure I don't know or even try to utilize the ones I know .

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #27
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer04
See, that's exactly what I meant: "you're not playing the game correctly". And what this also is is you're not rocking guys correctly. Don't you see how ridiculous that sounds and what the issue is here?

You're thinking about the game in purely mechanical terms here, and I'm thinking about it from a realism standpoint as well and the way I see it, 8 rocks are 8 rocks (random number, could be any number really) and the fight should be stopped much earlier. It doesn't matter if it's a scrub or the best player in the world. When one gets such a big number of health events, they have succeeded in pure sporting, real life terms, and it shouldn't matter how those health events have been achieved. And what you're essentially saying is git gud in order to take advantage of what's already the biggest success a fighter can achieve in an MMA fight: hurting your opponent. Let alone hurting them a myriad of times. The game shouldn't allow this, plain and simple.

MartialMind's a top player, he has to rock people that are way below his level a bunch times, people that are closer to his level a bunch of times and quite often, he himself gets rocked a bunch of times before powering through. Most times he doesn't even care if he gets hurt because he knows it's inconsequential and that he'll get plenty of opportunities to turn things round due to his skill.

That's not how MMA works though. You can't afford to get hurt a myriad of times before learning someone's patterns and using the experience to beat them. Instead, you try not to get hurt in the first place because that one time can cost you everything. And if it doesn't, the next two will. Surely you understand what I'm saying here.

Well, my post is mainly directed about how people are talking about defensively they can't do anything and they're forced to play rock em sock em robots.

You can circle and backpedal away easier than most people believe, aside from the disgustingly broken unrealistic jab feint body straight, you can avoid most strikes with the tools provided. I would have wished that they would have body kicks whiff when you utilize the back lunge to evade, but that's a gaming issue. Even I occasionally forget some of these tools are available to my use.

But yeah I agree on a lot of things that you've said.

There's a lot of things I like about the game and a lot of things I'm not a fan of, like the fact that you need about 10-20 leg kds to get a leg kick TKO, when IRL once a leg is generally wrecked to the point the fighter can barely stand, the ref will call it off.

Ideally for the next game I would hope that in order to have success, a huge part of it has to do with playing your fighter to THEIR best strengths rather than having to script a specific meta to gather more wins than usual. That being said, no meta can replace your own timing, your own recognition of somebody's pattern, and if you plan to capitalize when your opponent is hurt.

I wonder, if you were to increase the damage in the game by 2 and the Stamina tax by 2, weaken the block, have an easier way to clinch people trying to stay glued to you , would that help make things blatantly clear that, no matter what level of guy that you're fighting, you have to respect what they potentially have to offer.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:50 PM   #28
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer04

This exactly. Sure some players could maybe defend better, but from a realism standpoint, it just doesn't make sense. You'll never see a fighter get rocked all those times before something happens. Either the ref will step in or he'll be finished. The game just allows too many rocks before something happens. Thus it results in players getting rocked a bunch of times. Like irl, DC isn't gonna eat multiple big shots from Ngannou in a round and just keep getting rocked over and over...he'd get put to sleep fast. This is an area the game just doesn't reflect well enough. When you're getting hurt all those times and especially within a round(and especially from a heavy hitter), finish the fight knockdowns and ko's should be happening way sooner than they do imo.

Last edited by WarMMA; 09-28-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Well, my post is mainly directed about how people are talking about defensively they can't do anything and they're forced to play rock em sock em robots.

You can circle and backpedal away easier than most people believe, aside from the disgustingly broken unrealistic jab feint body straight, you can avoid most strikes with the tools provided. I would have wished that they would have body kicks whiff when you utilize the back lunge to evade, but that's a gaming issue. Even I occasionally forget some of these tools are available to my use.

But yeah I agree on a lot of things that you've said.

There's a lot of things I like about the game and a lot of things I'm not a fan of, like the fact that you need about 10-20 leg kds to get a leg kick TKO, when IRL once a leg is generally wrecked to the point the fighter can barely stand, the ref will call it off.

Ideally for the next game I would hope that in order to have success, a huge part of it has to do with playing your fighter to THEIR best strengths rather than having to script a specific meta to gather more wins than usual. That being said, no meta can replace your own timing, your own recognition of somebody's pattern, and if you plan to capitalize when your opponent is hurt.

I wonder, if you were to increase the damage in the game by 2 and the Stamina tax by 2, weaken the block, have an easier way to clinch people trying to stay glued to you , would that help make things blatantly clear that, no matter what level of guy that you're fighting, you have to respect what they potentially have to offer.
I don't question anything that you've said in terms of mechanics.

The second to last paragraph in particular is spot on: the styles make fights element. Absolutely, the fighter's strengths, not a meta that works universally. That's what it's all about for me.

As for your last paragraph (the mechanical/tuning suggestions), I would add removing magnetism and auto-range adjustments to those. It should be harder to land shots. I'm not forgetting that there is a defender out there too, not just an attacker. No stamina tax on the stiff arm retreat would help too. I'm not sure about increasing stam tax and damage by 2 simply because this is again a universal fix. Some guys really do have insane cardio and I wouldn't mind it if a guy like Max didn't get tired against me. I'll have to find other weaknesses. Just like (even though I'm arguing for a bigger threat in striking) not everyone has rockets in their hands.

I've always been thinking about some sort of personalised slider/stat combination that applies and is saved directly to the given fighter. If that's too complicated, perhaps the stats could be made to scale differently in order to mean more and get the desired effect.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:51 PM   #30
MVP

I feel like all the posters here are stuck in purgatory, destined to repeat the same talking points and opinions over and over until the heat death of the universe.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #31
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
I feel like all the posters here are stuck in purgatory, destined to repeat the same talking points and opinions over and over until the heat death of the universe.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
I disagree with that

We have blocking, head movement, footwork, lunges , stiff arm retreat, and double legs / clinches are great for defensive purposes.

But how many people are utilizing all of the tools?

I do agree the responsiveness can be a bit of an issue especially with lunges.
The quick fight

Here's the ranked fight that I need advice on in general
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2019, 02:55 PM   #32
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

Attachment 169259

These fight stats came from a fight I just had and I can definitely say there was a tremendous skill gap, but should I be able to knock someone down 5 times (not rock, but knock down) in the first round and still had to GNP them to finish on that final knock down? We all appreciate good info on how to play the game, but this kind of thing is beyond skill level, it’s a matter of ‘should this happen so frequently?’

It’s an odd dilemma since the devs did increase the sense of danger in this game, but maybe not the most realistic way.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »