Home

Is it too easy to get rocked?

This is a discussion on Is it too easy to get rocked? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Are stuns too common?
Yes 17 73.91%
No 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #57
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is it too easy to get rocked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
The thing most exceptional about Martial Mind is his distance management. He's good at range control... I find myself most times deranged now. With proper clinching this can be avoided. It's easier to move linearly than to circle generally.
Love watching MM. Def the most legit UFC YouTuber, and GCer. He keeps it legit and realistic, and is amazing at reading patterns.

You still see him struggeling against some super corny stuff though sometimes.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 09-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #58
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

As far as stuns/rocks go...

I think it's been shown by a bunch of people, with photos, with videos, that unless you're Romero or some other ultra amazing top top top actually best in the world player, it's super normal to get 5+ rocks a fight.

Do the mechanics work from a gameplay perspective mechanically.
-Yes.

Does it make for good gameplay?
-That's subjective.

Is it realistic?
-No.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:40 AM   #59
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
As far as stuns/rocks go...

I think it's been shown by a bunch of people, with photos, with videos, that unless you're Romero or some other ultra amazing top top top actually best in the world player, it's super normal to get 5+ rocks a fight.

Do the mechanics work from a gameplay perspective mechanically.
-Yes.

Does it make for good gameplay?
-That's subjective.

Is it realistic?
-No.
If EA were to get invested in a new clinch and grappling system, and made things more immersive + more consequences for fighting like a spaz (even though it IS a game and people sometimes just wanna eat, drink and throw spinning sh** at each other) I wonder how much it would help their sales?

They are all about the money, I know the Dev team has been extremely active for this community, Geoff especially has done a great job, if they give that man command over those three things + tweaks with the striking, it'll definitely be worth it.

So as long as corporate greed doesn't get in the way of things, and they do something ridiculous like dumb the game down TOO much in some aspects of the game, then we should be golden.

EDIT: ALSO, just saw your comment about 'cheesing' with the clinch....
Grappling is meant to alleviate pressure and control your opponent/damage when in solid position, I'm sure next game they might do something to where it's much easier to clinch and have more grappling exchanges, the grappling is much easier to understand than the striking, just takes some patience. There's a reason why those same dudes who apparently learn a cycled set of combos (and in that aspect, are PREDICTABLE) say, on quick fight, quit when they get taken down.

Nobody calls Khabib a cheeser for manhandling dudes in the clinch along with his masterful cage work + takedowns, nobody called Overeem a Thai Clinch Cheeser for ramming Knees into Lesnar, nobody said Aldo was 'spamming' leg kicks when he decimated Fabers thighs, nobody said Conor McGregor is cheesing his left hand when he landed those flurries on Alvarez. If you have the tool that is necessary to win (not counting gamebreaking/illogical tracking things), USE IT, and when people respect your grappling, you'll be surprised how the striking exchanges change.

Last edited by RomeroXVII; 10-01-2019 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #60
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeroXVII
Nobody calls Khabib a cheeser for manhandling dudes in the clinch along with his masterful cage work + takedowns, nobody called Overeem a Thai Clinch Cheeser for ramming Knees into Lesnar, nobody said Aldo was 'spamming' leg kicks when he decimated Fabers thighs, nobody said Conor McGregor is cheesing his left hand when he landed those flurries on Alvarez. If you have the tool that is necessary to win (not counting gamebreaking/illogical tracking things), USE IT, and when people respect your grappling, you'll be surprised how the striking exchanges change.

There is a difference between real life, where things are infinitely more dynamic, and abusing/exploiting borderline hidden video game mechanics, which exist in a very tight and limited framework.

When I clinch someone, and they have no idea how to defend because the game never actually tells you, and I abuse that to melt away his stamina with body knees and denials, and then hes basically screwed. Sure it works, it's still exploiting lame arcane game mechanics. I feel lame af doing it

Last edited by Haz____; 10-01-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #61
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
When I clinch someone, and they have no idea how to defend because the game never actually tells you, and I abuse that to melt away his stamina with body knees and denials, and then hes basically screwed. Sure it works, it's still exploiting lame arcane game mechanics. I feel lame af doing it
Ehhh this is pretty weak. You are exploiting a massive hole in his game but blocking body knees isn't some secret that only the chosen few know about. To be blunt, you don't need clinch against people who don't grasp such basic concepts (regardless of how poor the "tutorials" are).

That being said, I've always said that the skill floor for pressure should be a bit higher than it is now. Yet, defensive play should be more difficult than aggression because it would be awful if guys can coast rounds easily.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #62
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
Ehhh this is pretty weak. You are exploiting a massive hole in his game but blocking body knees isn't some secret that only the chosen few know about. To be blunt, you don't need clinch against people who don't grasp such basic concepts (regardless of how poor the "tutorials" are).

That being said, I've always said that the skill floor for pressure should be a bit higher than it is now. Yet, defensive play should be more difficult than aggression because it would be awful if guys can coast rounds easily.
Yeah, I don't see what's wrong with targeting an area in which the opponent's not good at or you would find success in. That's the entire point of it all.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #63
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

You guys are so funny. You literally have me laughing out loud right now. Not only did I AGREE with Philly's suggestion about using the clinch, but I posted about how I myself use this tactic and find great success with it.

But because I used the word "cheeze", because I am actually honest with myself, and it is cheezy af, you'll still start up an arguememt with me anyway.

*eye roll*

Yes MMA is about taking the fight where the opponent is weakest. But real MMA is infinitly more dynamic with far far far more possibilities.

Within the very limited framework the games mechanics function in, you have to do extremely specific defensive actions to break out of the clinch. Things that the game does not tell you. And lets be honest, the average player has not invested the time and practice into mastering. If you don't aknowledge the arcane nature of maaaaany of UFC 3s mechancis you're being willfully ignorant. The fact I can clinch someone and basically steal the entire fight from them, in what is basically an entirely separate game within the game, IS cheezy af. Lets just be honest with ourselves.

Do I do it. Yes.

Is it cheezy. Yes.

I know my clinch, and I don't find it cheezy when people clinch me. I've fought Romero a few times and hes tried to clinch **** me, but I know how to defend it, I escaped, and he knocked me the **** out with just his purely superior skill. No cheeze necessary at all. lol

The fact is you can totally steal fights by just clinch ****ing people, using mechanics these people just don't fully grasp, using basically a mini game to steal the fight.

I use it. But it can definitely be cheeze af. Just be honest about it. It is what it is.

Old 10-01-2019, 02:07 PM   #64
MVP

Icon1 Re: Is it too easy to get rocked?

Mate, your example was knees from Thai Clinch. It doesn't get any simpler than that. I'm sorry but if the people you're talking about can't defend that in no way whatsoever, then you're simply not playing good enough players or brand new ones.

— If they enter the clinch straight through Thai — the defender has plenty of time to deny and a good tell. Same with the underhooks.

—If they enter through single collar — the attacker has to transition at least once to get to Thai, with a pretty obvious tell.

—And if the attacker does get the Thai Clinch after all, they have a 50/50 chance of defending correctly, and if they spot a pattern those odds get better. If they get hit in the head they'll get plenty of leeway to turn things around. Not to mention they can actually transition themselves.

Once again, this something very basic. Now, advanced players could set entries up very well and be very good with the mechanic, but it's absolutely not something inaccessible or a deep secret. It's the absolute basics and if a player can't defend one at all, chances are they entire grappling game is missing as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »