Home

Should GnP/takedowns be animated rather than mocap?

This is a discussion on Should GnP/takedowns be animated rather than mocap? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-04-2019, 12:52 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Should GnP/takedowns be animated rather than mocap?

The more violent and explosive actions throughout the EA UFC series have always been rather soft looking. Hammerfists from stacked guard look inflated and ridiculous. Takedowns dont seem like you are fighting to get somebody to the mat, but rather drilling with a partner. Finish the fight GnP will just touch the surface of the opponents face if it doesnt miss entirely. GnP in general doesnt feel like a khabib or GSP is trying to drill the back of your head through the floor.

UD3 is a shining example of realistic looking GnP. It feels and looks like the fighter on top is making hard physical contact. When brock strikes you in mount, or side mount, he tries to cave your skull in. Not only is it more devastating, but the animations flow more fluidly between each other. EA UFC 3 ground and pound is awkward with little visual damage and in most positions long breaks between animations.
Although I love the low single in this game, almost all other takedowns look choreographed. As if they were safely being drilled in a high school wrestling room. juxtapose that to UD3s GSP spear takedown, where you litterally catch airtime, or the randleplex inspired suplex that game has.
The UFC 2 vision trailer first convinced me that we need to switch over to pure animation at least for GnP
https://youtu.be/jJgUsTMZ8mw
Specifically at 0:50. Is that how mocap striking on the mat is done? No thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Attached Images
File Type: gif 20191204_112339.gif (2.21 MB, 93 views)
File Type: gif 20191204_113947.gif (3.08 MB, 94 views)
File Type: gif 20191204_114622.gif (4.22 MB, 94 views)

Last edited by Gion; 12-04-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Should GnP/takedowns be animated rather than mocap?

You have a point.....but do you really want ea to hand animate their games? They have a hard enough time with the mocap...we'll be headed straight to Toy Story 3.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
Banned

Good lawd... those gorilla punches.

How good was UD 3s GnP again...

So good.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melo627
You have a point.....but do you really want ea to hand animate their games? They have a hard enough time with the mocap...we'll be headed straight to Toy Story 3.
Just updated the post with new Gifs, if EA can make anything similar to UD3s, I'm all in baby. Particularly if they are smooth and dont have any weird delays

Old 12-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
Rookie

Also if anybody in the dev team could correct me but if these animations get done the old fashioned way, would the workload get transferred to different staff? I know geoff and others go into the mocap studio to get the animations done, but if certain animations get transferred to be completed by the art team alone, does that free up time on Geoff and companies hands to do further work?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #6
Banned

Ea needs to partner with the euphoria team. They have made the best engine to dead. Game examples include back breaker read dead gta just to name a few. It would allow much more lifelike animations. Every punch would be it's own animation and look different.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ragdoll Guy
Good lawd... those gorilla punches.

How good was UD 3s GnP again...

So good.
I hate to be that guy; but fuuuuck, this looks so good. Can't believe I can't even get this game anymore (save buying an old PS3 and all that jazz)
Old 12-04-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
Pro

I believe Mo-Capped animations can be edited to whatever extent by hand after they are created. So they don't have to scrap Mo-Capping at all, the art guys just need to add a bit more physicality to the animations after the initial Mo-Cap.

Take it from someone who has some experience animating, getting 90% of the animation created by some dudes in weird looking suits acting stuff out, THEN having me just edit that is extremely valuable. Hand animating can take a very long time if you want quality.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »