Home

Cheesy idiots in ranked (video)

This is a discussion on Cheesy idiots in ranked (video) within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Cheesy idiots in ranked (video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer04
Oh yeah, I just thought FIFA vs PES wasn't the best example because[b] they're definitely not on equal footing for one to be able to compare them in such a discussion strictly based on realism vs. non-realism. If anything, so many people being interested in playing PES despite its issues is a testament to how much the sense of realism matters.
Personally I would attribute it more to football having such an enormous demographic that even niche markets (PES, Football Manager) have big enough fanbases.

Quote:
My point is more like "wow, can you imagine if PES had the gameplay and EA's resources?"
Why hasn't FIFA done this? It seems like the obvious thing to do if it increases their profits.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #58
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
Personally I would attribute it more to football having such an enormous demographic that even niche markets (PES, Football Manager) have big enough fanbases.

Why hasn't FIFA done this? It seems like the obvious thing to do if it increases their profits.
These are both very valid points.

As far as the second one is concerned, the obvious answer seems to be that people still enjoy the fast-paced nature of FIFA and they have the data to prove it. Just like with the UFC games, I guess, wasn't there some such data that those devs used as well? But hey, I've never suggested EA need to change something. It's obviously working very, very well for them. The focus on what I said was rather the praise for KONAMI. But yeah, your point about football being so popular is very valid, too. I think that franchise has been seriously stagnant for a while now.

Edit: and the "imagine..." part didn't necessarily have to do with sales, it's more like imagine, personally, for yourself, what it would be and feel like. Can't speak for the masses but I can't help but be seriously intrigued by it. EA don't have to fix what's not broken by the way. Like I said, things are working great for them. They do have all the off the pitch advantages, their style of gameplay is working — why tamper with it?

Sorry for such a huge edit, I just felt like elaborating. If you disagree you can always unlike the post.

Last edited by Kingslayer04; 12-04-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #59
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
So by your logic, standing still and letting someone KO you is cheese because that's unrealistic. I know that this guy is lost in his own sauce, but this post should be enough to let anyone in the audience know what's up.
Context matters. In the sports gaming community cheese has always meant doing something unrealistic, cheap, and or exploitable in and attempt to win. Running the ball every time with Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl is cheese. Always going for it on 4th down in madden or constantly throwing hail Mary’s is cheese. The play style of 99% of NBA 2K players in my park is cheese.

So no, standing still and letting someone KO you isn’t cheese, by his logic or anyone else’s.

Also, using a post about “cheese” in the context of Street Fighter to try to refute his claim about how the term is used in sports gaming is pretty disingenuous.

Last edited by Counter Punch; 12-23-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:24 AM   #60
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32

Can you find a ad where EA regularly using the word "authentic" when advertising UFC? I'm struggling to find it anywhere. If it "drove sales" I would expect it to be all over their websites and videos.
https://www.ea.com/games/ufc/ufc-3/n...tech-deep-dive

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018...xperience/amp/

https://majornelson.com/2018/01/29/e...-for-xbox-one/

https://www.geek.com/games/ea-sports...lator-1729765/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianma...-concepts/amp/

“EA SPORTS UFC 3 is the most realistic mixed martial arts game ever made,” UFC President Dana White said.
https://www.ufc.com/news/step-back-o...a-sports-ufc-3

This game was marketed as realistic and authentic
Old 12-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #61
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Cheesy idiots in ranked (video)

Thanks. So you found 1 place where "EA" has described the game as authentic.

The first and third links refers solely to player motion and animations and not other aspects of the game or the game as a whole (You can debate whether that is true or not but thats besides the point I was making).

The fourth and fifth links are people outside of describing the game or summarizing a blog and then using the word realistic.

The 6th link is from Dana White.

So you found 1 link and ran into the same issue I did. I'm a firm believer that EA should never use "realistic", "sim" or "authentic" to describe the entire game because that not what this game is. The people who spend hours of their time discussing this game online (like myself) tend to overreact to those words and accuse EA of false advertising. They should only use it when its to describe certain aspects like they did in the first and 3rd links.

So again it looks like we are both having issues finding links where EA regularly described/promoted the game as authentic and realistic.

Last edited by aholbert32; 12-23-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #62
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Thanks. So you found 1 place where "EA" has described the game as authentic.

The first and third links refers solely to player motion and animations and not other aspects of the game or the game as a whole (You can debate whether that is true or not but thats besides the point I was making).

The fourth and fifth links are people outside of describing the game or summarizing a blog and then using the word realistic.

The 6th link is from Dana White.

So you found 1 link and ran into the same issue I did. I'm a firm believer that EA should never use "realistic", "sim" or "authentic" to describe the entire game because that not what this game is. The people who spend hours of their time discussing this game online (like myself) tend to overreact to those words and accuse EA of false advertising. They should only use it when its to describe certain aspects like they did in the first and 3rd links.

So again it looks like we are both having issues finding links where EA regularly described/promoted the game as authentic and realistic.
In my opinion, protesting and especially accusing EA of false advertising for adding the terms realistic or sim, is to take things out of context, it is impossible for a video game to be exactly the same as a real sport, for EA to add those terms can be debatable, but you cannot accuse of fraud or false advertising.

Another very different thing is that we fans and consumers of this game, can give ideas or opinions and wish that the game includes things that make us feel closer to what reality may be.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #63
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter Punch
Context matters. In the sports gaming community cheese has always meant doing something unrealistic, cheap, and or exploitable in and attempt to win. Running the ball every time with Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl is cheese. Always going for it on 4th down in madden or constantly throwing hail Mary’s is cheese. The play style of 99% of NBA 2K players in my park is cheese.

So no, standing still and letting someone KO you isn’t cheese, by his logic or anyone else’s.

Also, using a post about “cheese” in the context of Street Fighter to try to refute his claim about how the term is used in sports gaming is pretty disingenuous.
Lakers 24 7 claimed that cheese originated as a sports game term which is simply false. That is actually disingenuous. Regardless, UFC is actually marketed as a fighting game and is more comparable to fighting games than something like FIFA.

Furthermore, it seems like you are emphasizing the cheap and exploitable elements of cheese over the unrealism part while Lakers said everything unrealistic is automatically cheese, no matter how viable.

While I'm at it, shoutout to Lakers 247 for failing to give any sources for any of his statements in this thread.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #64
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter Punch

Oh come on, I'm taking his logic to its natural extreme. Next time don't necro posts which have already been settled and then cry about how I'm so toxic when you're reinsitgating ****. Get lost.

There isn't anything about me disingenuous, so miss me with that bull****.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »