Home

MartialMind and UD3

This is a discussion on MartialMind and UD3 within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2020, 08:10 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MartialMind and UD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRommel
I'll let Martial speak for himself if he ever makes his way into this thread, but I do not believe he enjoys the gameplay of UD3 more. He likes the attention to presentation, the atmosphere, and the diverse swath of animations in the game.

In no way is UD3 better gameplay-wise than UFC3. Just watch a match out the gate.

The AI comes forward with his fist raised but the devs didn't even program an actual glove touch, so you just meander into each other like two blind men feeling their way through the fog before the AI immediately begins assaulting you.

As there is no vulnerability system in place, you can't strategically use strikes to interrupt the other guy and hooks end up taking precedence over straight punches.

The health system is absolutely out of an arcade fighting game, with PERMANENT health loss and zero nuance. Under the hood, the head silhouette is nothing but a Street Fighter 2 health meter.

To be honest, it's a very stupid and silly game in terms of its gameplay. I won't even get into the grappling because to be honest I don't remember much of it, but I do remember it was very shallow and felt like Checkers instead of Chess (nevermind the AWFUL submission mini-game).

This has been my opinion since UD3 came out. I played and somewhat enjoyed UD1 and UD2, but UD3 came out with an online mode that DIDN'T WORK AT ALL (game-breaking de-sync issue that was never fixed), which soured me on the devs, and soon after THQ went under.

You can have your own opinion of course, but the gameplay of UD3 was never great. The devs just really understood animations and presentation and went all-out on it. It was like a pretty girl with a rotten personality.

EA MMA, despite having hideous animations, was the far better MMA game for that time period, and it came out before UD3.
Wow that was harsh as hell.
I don't think MM only appreciates the presentation of UD3, he mentioned to also prefer how striking and grappling smoothly blend together (no little detail), I also suspect he prefers grappling in general but I'll let him confirm that.
I think overall EA UFC 3 is better, but in some gameplay areas UD 3 stll has the edge such as clinch, ground and pound, finish-the-fight mechanics, which are not flash over substance things.

As I said though, I think EA UFC 3 is now the better game, Geoff with the game changers really did a great job

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-15-2020, 08:59 AM   #18
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

earlier grass was greener
Old 02-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #19
Pro

Well I don't have 10 paragraphs to explain it but as a mostly offline guy UD3 "feels" like the better MMA experience, while EA UFC 3 "feels" like the better striking experience. Whether science can explain how I am wrong or not, thats simply how the two games compare for me when I play them.

As it stands I would say UD3 is the superior offline experience. That being said, it certainly still has its issues. There is definitely room for a new champ.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #20
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRommel

The depth was there to sustain UFC3 throughout its lifespan. Once THQ decided to abandon UD3, left the online broken, and then went out of business, I didn't sit around and play a game from a dead franchise that I knew had no support and would never be patched again.
UD 3 had enough depth that people are still playing it 8 years later. Is anyone going to be playing UFC 3 in 8 years?

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 02-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #21
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

MartialMind and UD3

The striking in UD3 is not as good as UFC 3, but that’s about it. I still play UD3 as well. My biggest problem with it is the fact that it’s so easy to get a finish. Rarely do you go to decision, outside of that, it’s kinda of still on par with EA UFC 3 surprisingly.

Striking is a big improvement in UFC 3, but so much around it still needs improvement. Clinch is worse, grappling is worse, submissions are worse, health & vulnerability may not be worse but they both suffer from their share of positives & negatives. So it’s not that hard to enjoy UD3 still for those other aspects. I really miss actually having fun yet realistic grappling.

Also UFC 3s all or nothing clinch striking is so bad. It’s just baffling as to why they made everyone’s clinch striking ability virtually the same. Those are the kind of missteps that still make these older MMA games stay relevant.

Last edited by TheGentlemanGhost; 02-15-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2020, 11:23 AM   #22
Banned

I was never trying to rag on martial like i said more power to him. And for the dev. Look all im going to say is dont look for ud3 negatives and build off of it from there. Meaning try not to focus on all the negatives and trying to do the oppisite for ea ufc games. (Btw u guys did that alot now looking at the ea ufc games). But look at the positves of ud3 and try to emulate that for ufc4 in this case.like someone said in this thread we basically would love a updated ud3. And now i belive you guys can do that. To sum it all up try not to fix all the negatives of past ufc games for ufc4 but try to emulate all the positives of past ufc games.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #23
EA Game Changer

MartialMind's Arena

The OP is correct that I have an incredible time playing UD3 offline, BUT...... I'd like to clear up some confusion.

The best way I can describe my experience playing both games is this. (I'm not a car guy so forgive me here)

Example A:
Lets say you LOVE EVERYTHING about the Nissan GTR. You go to buy it and you're presented with this: "Sir here's the 2020 Nissan GTR you asked for"

Okay... one, that's not an ugly looking car at all. It's not a damn GTR body, but ah what the heck, why not at least look at the specs. You at least know the specs. You look at the specs and it's a twin-turbo 3.8-liter V-6, six-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive, travels 0-60 in 2.9 seconds, hell, it even puts out 565 horsepower. Everything you've come to expect from a 2020 GTR.

You decide to test drive it and it ONLY the acceleration and sound reminds you of a GTR. Everything else is off and doesn't give you that feeling of a GTR.

Sure the car could call itself a Nissan GTR, it has all the specs, the performance, parts of it even feels like a GTR, but there'll be something missing. Your experience driving it will always have an asterisk.

Now that's example A.

Example B:

You want to purchase a Nissan GTR, you go to the dealership and this is what you're presented with:

YES!! That's a 2020 Nissan GTR!! You get inside of it and the interior is just right, everything about the way its presented screams GTR! Woohoo!.... Awesome, now let's look at the specs.

Rear wheel drive, 332-horsepower, 3.7-liter V-6 engine, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds. "Wait a minute wtf"? That's not the specs of a Nissan GTR!, what the heck?

I mean, it's still powerful, it's still fast, but it's not GTR powerful or fast. The look, sound, presentation all screams GTR but the specs are not up to standard. So what the heck do you do?

Well you decide what is more important to you. Look, feel and presentation vs Specs.

That's what you get with EA Sports UFC 3 and UFC Undisputed 3.

You don't get the FULL package with either game.

With EA UFC 3, you get the specs and with UD3 you get the look (More unique strike animations), feel (Overall more responsive controls and seamless transition between striking and grappling) and presentation of MMA.

Overall, EA Sports UFC 3 is my favorite but only because the experience playing against another human being is better and more polished. UD3 online was a mess. Numerous game breaking bugs left unfixed, the default stamina in ranked wasn't simulation so the game ended up being a spam fest and many other things that made playing against another human, just terrible.

Against the A.I though, UD3 is unmatched. That's where the game truly shines. It's almost like it was created to be an offline game. You also have so much to do offline, so much content, many ways to keep your attention going.

With EA UFC 3, it's clear, more emphasis was placed on online play, but the game also innovates.

- The vulnerability system
- The real play motion tech
- The damage system
- The stamina system
- The different strike ranges... Clinch, punch, kick, step kick, out of range
- The innovative, independent transition system with grappling

It is a deep, well thought out game designed to represent what happens UNDER THE HOOD in a fight. That's what EA Sports UFC 3 does. Under the hood, it's the best. But it seriously lacks the FEELING of MMA. It nails the feeling of Kickboxing, but the feeling of MMA is severely lacking and that's why a game like that, although incredible, lacks replay value, especially offline.

That said... if all MMA games were to go offline and we couldn't play a single one online, the only MMA game i'd play regularly is UFC Undisputed 3. Reason being, UD3 gives me a much better MMA experience. When i'm playing it, it truly feels like i'm playing a Mixed Martial Arts game.

I guess i wrote all that to point out that, yes... EA Sports UFC 3 is my favorite MMA game, but only because i can still play it online against other humans. The moment i can't play online anymore, it's going on a shelf and won't be touched again for a while.

My hope now is that we can finally get a game that bridges the gap. A game that represents MMA under the hood and also represents MMA in feel and presentation. A game where everything is seamless and smooth. A game where it grappling and striking doesn't feel like two different games in one, but one game allowing us to transition between the two seamlessly.

That's the hope.

Last edited by MartialMind; 02-15-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #24
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

I know I shouldnt do this but here goes:

Gotta disagree with my boy Martial. I love UD3 offline but it isnt because of the actual AI/Gameplay.

The UD3 AI is one-dimensional. There are two real AI types. Striker/Wrestler. Its easy on most levels and uses cheese on the highest difficult level to win. The large majority of AI fighters are hyper aggressive and not nuanced at all and I had to use a ton of "house rules" in order to have a realistic Human v. AI experience.

The reason why people play UD3 offline still is because of the depths of the modes. Pride mode, a deep career mode, ultimate fight mode and an event mode that felt like a ****ing event instead of a bunch of matches slapped together (unlike UFC 3).

I'll be interested to see if EA improves upon this in UFC 4. With that said, the AI in UFC 3 is significantly better and more nuanced than UD3 imo....plus this game has sliders.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »