Home

Any tips for timing your opponents and making better reads?

This is a discussion on Any tips for timing your opponents and making better reads? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Any tips for timing your opponents and making better reads?

I find the jab is too difficult to deal with without parrys. And it's hard to intercept your opponent with the jab and slip but it breaks the block so easy. Any tips.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2020, 11:31 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Any tips for timing your opponents and making better reads?

Specifically for the jab? I generally slip (mainly duck) and attempt to throw absolutely nothing back. When I come back up my block is up and I've just dodged the first punch of their combo. This drains them and if they continue with their 3 punch max combo on my block, it doesn't break, I take no damage, they lose a lot of stamina for going through with the combo after missing, and I have no chance of eating a nasty counter that could happen if I choose to strike after slipping (because dodging a jab offers you no frame advantage). If they stop the combo, I take no block damage and they lose stamina with no gain whatsoever.

Later on after I find their patterns I will add body hooks and rear straights to the slip. They will most likely switch it up and lead with other strikes. You can then empty duck (dodge nothing) and hit them with body hooks (if you empty duck too early in the fight you'll duck a jab and eat the next strike, maybe an uppercut). Pick away at them with non committal, easy strikes like body jabs, dodge conservatively with no counter offense, observe patterns early on, counter when you have stamina advantage and they are slower.

Bonus is ducking or feinting body hooks to lure uppercuts that hit air or give you counter opportunities (feinting a body hook into a head hook will give you just enough time to hit them clean before the block comes up again). Jab heavy offense can be easily punished in most players. Not to mention the key to back lunges and slip straight counters is range. If you are at good range and have done some head damage already, a slip straight is almost a guaranteed rock if they throw an uppercut or their own straight. Back lunges are suicide if you are too close to a straight puncher though. You have to have perfect range. Also, if you're too close during the counter you'll stuff your own strike, doing nothing.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
Specifically for the jab? I generally slip (mainly duck) and attempt to throw absolutely nothing back. When I come back up my block is up and I've just dodged the first punch of their combo. This drains them and if they continue with their 3 punch max combo on my block, it doesn't break, I take no damage, they lose a lot of stamina for going through with the combo after missing, and I have no chance of eating a nasty counter that could happen if I choose to strike after slipping (because dodging a jab offers you no frame advantage). If they stop the combo, I take no block damage and they lose stamina with no gain whatsoever.

Later on after I find their patterns I will add body hooks and rear straights to the slip. They will most likely switch it up and lead with other strikes. You can then empty duck (dodge nothing) and hit them with body hooks (if you empty duck too early in the fight you'll duck a jab and eat the next strike, maybe an uppercut). Pick away at them with non committal, easy strikes like body jabs, dodge conservatively with no counter offense, observe patterns early on, counter when you have stamina advantage and they are slower.

Bonus is ducking or feinting body hooks to lure uppercuts that hit air or give you counter opportunities (feinting a body hook into a head hook will give you just enough time to hit them clean before the block comes up again). Jab heavy offense can be easily punished in most players. Not to mention the key to back lunges and slip straight counters is range. If you are at good range and have done some head damage already, a slip straight is almost a guaranteed rock if they throw an uppercut or their own straight. Back lunges are suicide if you are too close to a straight puncher though. You have to have perfect range. Also, if you're too close during the counter you'll stuff your own strike, doing nothing.
Couldnt of asked for a better reply.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
MVP

RM knows his shiiiiiiit ... Really good will add this to the advice you gave on the overhand beating the Jab .

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »