Home

Where is Over/Under Clinch in EA UFC 4?

This is a discussion on Where is Over/Under Clinch in EA UFC 4? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Where is Over/Under Clinch in EA UFC 4?

Based on the early gameplay videos I’ve seen, there is a notable lack of the over/under clinch position. Instead, most clinch engagements seem to take place in the single collar, Thai clinch, or the new single underhook positions.

I understand that the over/under position is in the game (I think when standing up from sprawl), and I do think the overall clinch gameplay looks pretty slick. However, the rarity of over-under seems to be a pretty big departure from real life MMA.

Consequently, the new clinch system doesn’t really pass the eye test. While I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the single underhook position in real-life UFC, it’s definitely not as common as over/under (whereas the clinch gameplay indicates the opposite). In fact, the rarity of over/under was one of the first things I noticed (which is unfortunate bc the new over/under animations look awesome).

What’s the deal? Any reasoning for over/under not being a primary clinch position (gameplay, balancing, etc.)? Did I miss something?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2020, 10:19 AM   #2
MVP

Re: Where is Over/Under Clinch in EA UFC 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg3445
Based on the early gameplay videos I’ve seen, there is a notable lack of the over/under clinch position. Instead, most clinch engagements seem to take place in the single collar, Thai clinch, or the new single underhook positions.

I understand that the over/under position is in the game (I think when standing up from sprawl), and I do think the overall clinch gameplay looks pretty slick. However, the rarity of over-under seems to be a pretty big departure from real life MMA.

Consequently, the new clinch system doesn’t really pass the eye test. While I’m pretty sure I’ve seen the single underhook position in real-life UFC, it’s definitely not as common as over/under (whereas the clinch gameplay indicates the opposite). In fact, the rarity of over/under was one of the first things I noticed (which is unfortunate bc the new over/under animations look awesome).

What’s the deal? Any reasoning for over/under not being a primary clinch position (gameplay, balancing, etc.)? Did I miss something?

As far as I know, overunder is still there. You can get overunder via clinch transition but I don't know how to do it yet.

and Throwing high-knee is the only way to get into the thai clinch from the sinlg-collar.

The last one, There is the only way to get into double under is if you guys fail a takedown.

That's all. Locomotion is good, transition is bad. 1 step forward, 2 steps backward.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tissues250
You can get overunder via clinch transition but I don't know how to do it yet.
No, you can't. All I did was lab the clinch with 2 controllers during the beta. Over-under is only entered into via takedown denial. No actual transition input.

The single under position is only entered into against the cage.

Quote:
and Throwing high-knee is the only way to get into the thai clinch from the sinlg-collar.
Yes, or body knees.

Quote:
The last one, There is the only way to get into double under is if you guys fail a takedown.
This is wrong. Double underhooks are not in the game at all. This is how over under is entered into, via takedown denial.

Quote:
That's all. Locomotion is good, transition is bad. 1 step forward, 2 steps backward.
Yup. Right you are sir.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinch Control
No, you can't. All I did was lab the clinch with 2 controllers during the beta. Over-under is only entered into via takedown denial. No actual transition input.

Yes, or body knees.

This is wrong. Double underhooks are not in the game at all. This is how over under is entered into, via takedown denial.

Yup. Right you are sir.
You also end up in over-under when getting up from SUB sprawl position

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
Pro

The clinch game overhaul is probably the most unsure aspect of the game. I'd be unhappy if it was just the one position I've seen in online videos so far. Why remove all this work they did before? Senseless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:

Yes, or body knees.

Yup. Right you are sir.

Double underhooks are in the game if you go four a double leg takedown and cancel it as your fighter grabs the opponent he will mover up to double under

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-06-2020, 01:10 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeanisbae
Double underhooks are in the game if you go four a double leg takedown and cancel it as your fighter grabs the opponent he will mover up to double under

You move into over under after canceling a takedown. Skynet said this himself in the Beta Impressions thread on page 67 if you want to go check it out.

Last edited by Clinch Control; 08-06-2020 at 01:14 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
You move into over under after canceling a takedown. Skynet said this himself in the Beta Impressions thread on page 67 if you want to go check it out.

Well, at least there’s more than one way to get into over/under.

Would like to see it more in the meta though, maybe through new entries, etc. Would make the clinch look and play more realistic

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »