Home

I want to improve on the ground. Help.

This is a discussion on I want to improve on the ground. Help. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 08-09-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
I want to improve on the ground. Help.

The ground game in the first three games wasn't interesting to me, so I didn't have much desire to improve. But now that I'm having fun and don't mind the fight going there, I want to get nice.

I played a Derrick Lewis user and I had Werdum. Once he realized he could have success on the ground against me, he started looking for the takedown constantly! I ended up finishing him on the feet, but I found that so disrespectful lmao. You should have some level of fear on the ground with a guy like that.

My issue has always been that my denial rate is awful. I feel like I'm making correct read quickly, but it doesn't matter. Top or bottom it's a crapshoot, and I lose advantageous positions more often that not. My opponents don't seem to have the same problem.

1. Do you flick the right stick or hold the denial direction?

2. How do you approach getting a grappling advantage? Do you watch the meter?

3. What's the best way to get back to your feet when you don't want to be there?

Those are my main three questions. Any help you ground killers could give me would be appreciated.

Enviado desde mi Pixel 3a XL mediante Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: I want to improve on the ground. Help.

the ground is a chess match. Usually you use one position to set something up in another position. It's very important that you calmly but quickly place your inputs. You don't have to just always deny on reaction. You can make reads on them and predeny them if they're being predictable. Most people do the same things. If you find someone doing different stuff steal it and make it your own. Bjj hierarchy matters here. Your goal is always the back or top mount. The best form of takedown defense is rubberguard. If you master rubberguard most people will think twice before hopping on you or taking you down allowing you an opportunity to dictate the pace. Its also great for setting up subs. Do not try and spam getup. Work for a position that allows free getups like backside topmount or side control.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1212headkick
the ground is a chess match. Usually you use one position to set something up in another position. It's very important that you calmly but quickly place your inputs. You don't have to just always deny on reaction. You can make reads on them and predeny them if they're being predictable. Most people do the same things. If you find someone doing different stuff steal it and make it your own. Bjj hierarchy matters here. Your goal is always the back or top mount. The best form of takedown defense is rubberguard. If you master rubberguard most people will think twice before hopping on you or taking you down allowing you an opportunity to dictate the pace. Its also great for setting up subs. Do not try and spam getup. Work for a position that allows free getups like backside topmount or side control.
I was thinking about predenials after that fight. I rarely do them, and I need to make a point of it. Especially since what I normally do isn't that effective.

On the feet I'm always in chess mode, but I don't have the same mindset on the ground, for whatever reason. I'm always thinking about the mechanics of the game more than what's happening in the fight, and what my opponent might do.

Thanks for the tips. That's helpful.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I was thinking about predenials after that fight. I rarely do them, and I need to make a point of it. Especially since what I normally do isn't that effective.

On the feet I'm always in chess mode, but I don't have the same mindset on the ground, for whatever reason. I'm always thinking about the mechanics of the game more than what's happening in the fight, and what my opponent might do.

Thanks for the tips. That's helpful.

I am here for your benefit. Feel free to ask me as many questions as you like.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #5
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5

Always flick the stick. Not sure if you play on a TV or monitor, but pc monitor helps a ton on the groud

GA is built up from landing strikes, denying transitions, and when your opponent misses a denial if you fake a transition. Fakes are the best way to build GA because it doesn't go away if you get it from a fake. Strikes my 2nd favorite way, but the GA from that only lasts about 2 seconds.

3. What's the best way to get back to your feet when you don't want to be there?

Depends on which position you're in. Full Guard is the best position to get up from so you should plan on keeping the fight there. The UP transition from Half Guard bottom is sneaky too. But if you want to get up the easiest, try to be in full guard or sprawl.
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #6
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Yh when you first get taken down, make sure and read the opponent to see if you can catch onto any tendancies. Also dont forget to incorperate quick trans fakes. These will fraustrate some opponents and alot of times you can bait guys and get a free trans off...especially if they like to camp on denials. Didnt seem he was too smart of a player cuz he was taking Wersum down with Lewis smh, but its all a learning process for everyone. I consider myself trash at the game right now lol. A few weeks to a month of playing and i should be pretty decent though.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
Rookie

I too suck on the ground so appreciate these tips. I'll give them a go later and try and improve, thanks.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #8
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti

Always flick the stick. Not sure if you play on a TV or monitor, but pc monitor helps a ton on the groud

GA is built up from landing strikes, denying transitions, and when your opponent misses a denial if you fake a transition. Fakes are the best way to build GA because it doesn't go away if you get it from a fake. Strikes my 2nd favorite way, but the GA from that only lasts about 2 seconds.

Depends on which position you're in. Full Guard is the best position to get up from so you should plan on keeping the fight there. The UP transition from Half Guard bottom is sneaky too. But if you want to get up the easiest, try to be in full guard or sprawl.
I had no idea that you don't lose grappling advantage from fakes, never paid attention. Wow, that makes a ton of sense now that I think about how most of my fights go.

I used to play on a monitor for a while, but I went back to tv when I upgraded. I might consider flip flopping again because I definitely noticed an edge across all of the games I play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »