Home

Patch 2.01 now out on PS4

This is a discussion on Patch 2.01 now out on PS4 within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2020, 02:18 AM   #97
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Patch 2.01 now out on PS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitfistssaipailo
Pressure fighters can smell it when you want to play realistically or don't have the skill to punish them . They are like bullies .you have to stand your ground and don't move back. Always pick someone with heavy and fast hands and go at them in the pocket. You will likely get kod but don't be a punk about it. Stand your ground wait for them to throw and hit em back.

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app
So what you're saying is, give up on trying to have a realistic fight, don't bother trying to use your fighter in the style they would actually fight, and instead just go full "meta" and game the game.

Sounds fun.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 08-18-2020, 04:14 AM   #98
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
So what you're saying is, give up on trying to have a realistic fight, don't bother trying to use your fighter in the style they would actually fight, and instead just go full "meta" and game the game.

Sounds fun.
This. So much this. Infinite amounts of this.
Changing my perception of MMA and my goal in purchasing an MMA game is somehow the answer to an MMA game not playing like... An MMA game.
This situation is backwards man.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:30 AM   #99
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____

Sounds fun.
Did you not read the part I said about fighting back ?

If you want to not be pressured , you have to fight with someone who has a laid back calculated style .

If being a sim player means getting slept , by all means call me an arcade guy. I will fight sim all the time but if you pressure me I will ground you and choke you out to the best of my abilities.

Don't get it twisted my bro.

That's not what I meant.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:32 AM   #100
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedMetalArts
This. So much this. Infinite amounts of this.
Changing my perception of MMA and my goal in purchasing an MMA game is somehow the answer to an MMA game not playing like... An MMA game.
This situation is backwards man.
Right now pressure ain't even the meta right now , chokes are .

But if you go through my posts I've always asked for more defensive tools . Footwork , counters , hand fighting etc .

Until this is done , people will continue to exploit this by paying pressure .

Old 08-18-2020, 04:42 AM   #101
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitfistssaipailo
Did you not read the part I said about fighting back ?

If you want to not be pressured , you have to fight with someone who has a laid back calculated style .

If being a sim player means getting slept , by all means call me an arcade guy. I will fight sim all the time but if you pressure me I will ground you and choke you out to the best of my abilities.

Don't get it twisted my bro.

That's not what I meant.

I ain't mean to come of as angry or nothing Haz. Sorry .

But it is what it is. It shouldn't be that way.

Hopefully once the marathoner perk is tuned , we won't see so many people pressing forward with no regard for vulnerability.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #102
EA Sports UFC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Cool_Ice
Thanks for giving a bit more background on ragdolls/KO's. I totally get that it can be like playing whack-a-mole trying to appease gamers (especially MMA gamers).

I've been one of the guys trying to give constructive feedback on the knockout physics since UFC 3, and I'm passionate about improving it. And I do want to acknowledge the the KO's in UFC 4 are an improvement over UFC 3! But I still think there are ways to make it better, and satisfy most of us picky fans

I know it's not helpful for us to just say "bring back UFC 2 ragdollz !", so I'm trying to better understand the constraints we have to work with in UFC 4. From what I gather, we're using a hybrid animation system that applies ragdoll physics that solve with pre-determined poses. So they're not "canned animations". I'm wondering if this system is similar to the Animation Pose Snapshot in Unreal Engine, where you can set target poses to the ragdoll to make blending out of them smoother?

I noticed in UFC 4 there seems to be 2 target poses, 1 for the initial knockout, and another for the FTF. You can see what I mean here. Jones falls into the predetermined side posed, then blends into another target pose when Silva jumps on him. Since we're already blending into the "FTF target pose" to allow for follow up strikes, I'm wondering if this first target pose is necessary. This first target pose seems to be the real crux of the "ragdoll issue", and is what is sucking the wind out of the knockouts.

Especially since people love doing walk-off KO's in UFC 4
Yes, there are indeed parallels to the snapshot system seen in Unreal. And we do in fact have many ideas on how to improve the existing system, just not the time to tinker with them at the moment. The first target pose is rather necessary because the ragdoll needs to get relatively close to the final FTF position. If the ragdoll was drastically different, the blend into FTF could be horrendous.

There are many different poses that the fighter can land in, and one of the things we want to explore more is why they land in the same ones so often when there are other possibilities.

We may also bring back full ragdoll KOs that don't allow dives (maybe on some overkill threshold?). Or try to mocap new FTF positions to flesh out the options. Or look into different blending and animation options for the KO'd fighter so we don't need to do a full pose match, keeping more ragdoll. There are many things we want to try, but none of them are trivial in the slightest. Hopefully some of them come to fruition sooner than later, as we know it's a very common ask from the community.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #103
Rookie

Quote:
When are you getting a decent finish the fight, you ask? I'd say you've got one of the best ones ever created in a virtual simulation of MMA that's ever been done. I think that's pretty decent.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:11 PM   #104
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet
Yes, there are indeed parallels to the snapshot system seen in Unreal. And we do in fact have many ideas on how to improve the existing system, just not the time to tinker with them at the moment. The first target pose is rather necessary because the ragdoll needs to get relatively close to the final FTF position. If the ragdoll was drastically different, the blend into FTF could be horrendous.

There are many different poses that the fighter can land in, and one of the things we want to explore more is why they land in the same ones so often when there are other possibilities.

We may also bring back full ragdoll KOs that don't allow dives (maybe on some overkill threshold?). Or try to mocap new FTF positions to flesh out the options. Or look into different blending and animation options for the KO'd fighter so we don't need to do a full pose match, keeping more ragdoll. There are many things we want to try, but none of them are trivial in the slightest. Hopefully some of them come to fruition sooner than later, as we know it's a very common ask from the community.
Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to hear you guys are exploring options!

Maybe the answer is a combination of full ragdoll with new FTF positions to blend better. Looking at UFC 2 ragdoll KO highlights, I noticed there aren't that many final resting positions for the KO'd fighter. It's almost always some variation of on the back, side, or stomach, with knees bent or not. I'm not sure how many FTF target poses you currently have, but maybe blending into them from ragdoll positions could still look ok most of the time.

However, I imagine that any solution that requires new mocap is the most expensive, so maybe the reduced the pose match/more ragdoll idea is the most realistic. Could something like this also be applied to the FTF sequences? I.e. KO'd fighters go into a constrained ragdoll state when they are being ground 'n' pounded.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »