Home

Why has blocking been nerfed?

This is a discussion on Why has blocking been nerfed? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Why has blocking been nerfed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
I don't think blocking should be the strongest defensive tactic in the game because it's not the strongest in real life MMA. You can't just turtle up in MMA and block strikes because of how small the gloves are. You take a lot of damage still.

I think the block is good where it's at because it forces players to use other defensive tools such as head movement, footwork etc. Don't forget, you can block and move your head at the same time this year as well. Slipping and making people whiff is actually so rewarding in this game, that i can't even see a case for wanting block to be stronger.

I'd agree if the games controls weren't so unresponsive. Head movement, lunges,etc hardly have a good response time from the input.

So now its just a faster track to those 10 plus knockdowns while throwing 170 strikes a round with reckless abandon and no consequences. 👏👏👏👏👏
Old 09-30-2020, 03:33 PM   #10
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5

IDK man, it's tricky. Because you definitely want to give people defensive tools so that spam doesn't rule the game. I think the last patch did a good job of improving not just defensive tools but counter-striking tools to help with this.

But you also don't want to make the game "too defensive" because that would suck a lot of the fun out of it for most of the player base. Pryoxis made a very interesting video on the block meter and how it decreases from certain strikes, so we might see it updated in the future where weaker strikes do less damage to the block.

Ideally, you want a game where both styles are viable...the pressure fighter and the defensive counter striker. Buffing block is one of those things where it could tip the scales in favor of the defensive fighter so they just have to be careful.
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon

Last edited by EarvGotti; 09-30-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:45 PM   #11
EA Game Changer

MartialMind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
IDK man, it's tricky. Because you definitely want to give people defensive tools so that spam doesn't rule the game. I think the last patch did a good job of improving not just defensive tools but counter-striking tools to help with this.

But you also don't want to make the game "too defensive" because that would suck a lot of the fun out of it for most of the player base. Pryoxis made a very interesting video on the block meter and how it decreases from certain strikes, so we might see it updated in the future where weaker strikes do less damage to the block.

Ideally, you want a game where both styles are viable...the pressure fighter and the defensive counter striker. Buffing block is one of those things where it could tip the scales in favor of the defensive fighter so they just have to be careful.
About 95% of what Pryoxis said in that video is completely false and comes from a complete lack of understanding on how it actually works.

It is so unfortunate that he has left that video up knowing full well it is full of misinformation.

Romero is making a video soon explaining how the block ACTUALLY works and when he does I encourage everyone to watch that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2020, 12:50 AM   #12
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

So we have to wait for Game Changer videos to get an understanding of new mechanics after patches? This sounds way more mysterious than it should be.

I love how often EA releases updates, but it's frustrating as a player when changes are made with no insight given into how to properly utilize everything.

Romero has posted some great content, so I'm not here to knock him or any of the Game Changers. I'm genuinely very interested in what he'll discuss because I'm hoping learn something that will help. My opponents usually aren't doing anything special or tricky, so I'm clearly not getting something.

Enviado desde mi Pixel 3a XL mediante Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2020, 12:58 AM   #13
Rookie

I’m sure the block works on how it’s committed as well rather than just “block health”. It’s why a jab-jab-hook will get through better than just throwing 3 hooks in a row. Throw a couple of straight strikes to commit the block to the centre and then throw a round strike to get around it.

The meter is just a way to represent it I think. If you watch their hands when the meter is almost at nothing you’ll see them committing to the front or to the sides. There’s obviously some normal block health and bleed through as well.

They made the block a little less effective since you can sway and block now to try and balance it. It’s probably why the stamina is quite high as well to try and make up for the block sways.

I suppose it does make sense in a way as you’ll see especially in boxing fighters will use a couple of throwaway jabs to get the opponent to cover up and then throw a hook around the side.

I think the stamina tax on missed strikes and taking body strikes should be a touch lower though.

Most people think it helps pressure fighters but I actually find it harder to come forward because they can throw more to fend me off without gassing. It works both ways.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:41 PM   #14
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I'm not even having fun playing this game anymore, which is a shame because I really enjoyed it before. All good, I'll just see what the next patch brings.

Enviado desde mi Pixel 3a XL mediante Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #15
EA Sports UFC Developer

The last patch didn't change the block mechanics.

Some time ago (maybe even before launch?) we reduced the number of strikes needed to break through the block compared to UFC 4, that along with the addition of blocking during head movement are the only major changes to block that I can think of.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2020, 04:33 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet
The last patch didn't change the block mechanics.

Some time ago (maybe even before launch?) we reduced the number of strikes needed to break through the block compared to UFC 4, that along with the addition of blocking during head movement are the only major changes to block that I can think of.
Pretty sure it was before launch because I remember ZHunter destroying me with hooks back in the beta when I wasn't aware of the change. Either way yeah I don't think there were any other changes to the block.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »