Home

Why has blocking been nerfed?

This is a discussion on Why has blocking been nerfed? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 09-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Why has blocking been nerfed?

It was very realistic, skill-based, and balanced as it was. You could shut down a pressure fighter entirely by just moving, blocking, and swaying. You could just pick your shots here and there, and they’d be gassed by round 2.

Now, with the removal of blocking while leaning backwards, along with the stamina changes... it’s not very useful at all. Fighters can just tear your block to shreds, with even MORE stamina to spare.

We’ve lost an entire aspect of defensive striking.

It’s like the mods are saying “people are playing too defensively... we want more wars!”

I mean, Using Yoel Romero, it was actually viable to just hold your ground, block, calmly move your head. Then explode here and there. Now, your block just gets torn to shreds immediately. Totally different game now.

The striking is 80% offense, 20% defense now. Whereas is used to be more like 60% defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2020, 09:20 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Why has blocking been nerfed?

It’s on the player to punish aggression apparently.

Just like how punches automatically track if someone ducks because you wouldn’t sit and punch above their head instead of the player punishing them and “using all the tools” like uppercuts, knees, body hooks, body kicks leg kicks, etc.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:47 AM   #3
Rookie

I agree that is has helped reward pressure fighters, and it has made defense somewhat harder. But I think it's way more realistic. Holding block while someone fires away a bunch of strikes at you, and you still being fine, is not realistic at all in MMA. Maybe in boxing where the gloves are bigger, but in MMA, the gloves don't provide much protection at all.

I think it would have been great if they had given everyone a Gaethje style of block, where you can only block either straight or round strikes depending on the input you press. Apply that, but then also buff the strength of the block to the area where applied. So the block itself would be stronger but would require skill to use effectively, while also not being too unrealistic.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #4
Rookie

I want the parry back for straights/jabs. Let us punish people for being overly aggressive and predictable. The defensive tools they give us are all inconsistent against spammers. The variable lag makes the sway timing different every match and now block just falls apart.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrakt fists
I want the parry back for straights/jabs. Let us punish people for being overly aggressive and predictable. The defensive tools they give us are all inconsistent against spammers. The variable lag makes the sway timing different every match and now block just falls apart.
Please no, I remember on ufc 2 I could only throw hooks cause some people could parry every straight punch I ever threw.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeba1000
Please no, I remember on ufc 2 I could only throw hooks cause some people could parry every straight punch I ever threw.
Yeah I feel you. I don’t want the old fly swatter version of the parry. I want more of once every few seconds you can throw a parry. Make it deadly if you miss and don’t give the huge counter window of the past. Just a small counter window or stamina drain. Also make it directional so you have to pick the hand to swat so it takes skill to execute. Basically just a handy tool for specific situations to make people pay for spamming the 1-2.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5

I don't think blocking should be the strongest defensive tactic in the game because it's not the strongest in real life MMA. You can't just turtle up in MMA and block strikes because of how small the gloves are. You take a lot of damage still.

I think the block is good where it's at because it forces players to use other defensive tools such as head movement, footwork etc. Don't forget, you can block and move your head at the same time this year as well. Slipping and making people whiff is actually so rewarding in this game, that i can't even see a case for wanting block to be stronger.
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Old 09-30-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
MVP

johnmangala's Arena

Now that blocking is weaker. There should be a bigger stamina tax on blocked strikes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »