Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2020, 12:35 AM   #1
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2016
Convoluted Dom Get Up Input

Why are there so many random different inputs for Dom get up depending on the position rather than one consistent input regardless of position? Sometimes the input is R1+up then L1+up then just up, why?
FlaccoNumba5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2020, 01:04 AM   #2
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer
 
GameplayDevUFC's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,839
Re: Convoluted Dom Get Up Input

For classic controls?

Because people would accidentally getup form DOM mount/backmount/crucifix etc, and since they are undeniable transitions you can't cancel them if you do it by mistake. So since that's rarely what people actually wanted to do, we hid the getup behind a button modifier in dominant positions where getup would be undeniable.
GameplayDevUFC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #3
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2016
Re: Convoluted Dom Get Up Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
For classic controls?

Because people would accidentally getup form DOM mount/backmount/crucifix etc, and since they are undeniable transitions you can't cancel them if you do it by mistake. So since that's rarely what people actually wanted to do, we hid the getup behind a button modifier in dominant positions where getup would be undeniable.
But why not have one consistent get up input regardless of position
FlaccoNumba5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
Rookie
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Scotland
Re: Convoluted Dom Get Up Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaccoNumba5
But why not have one consistent get up input regardless of position
He literally just told you. It's because people would accidentally get up from the dom positions when they didn't want to. So they changed it for those positions so that wouldn't happen.
ragreynolds is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
MVP
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Apr 2016
Re: Convoluted Dom Get Up Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragreynolds
He literally just told you. It's because people would accidentally get up from the dom positions when they didn't want to. So they changed it for those positions so that wouldn't happen.
I think you might be missing what he is saying. Keep a modified input to avoid accidental gettups, but apply it universally. RB and up on the RS seems like a good one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Evil97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2020, 03:20 PM   #6
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer
 
GameplayDevUFC's Arena
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,839
Re: Convoluted Dom Get Up Input

We didn't want to hide the getup behind a modifier from positions where you very well might want to get up, because 99% of the people who don't read instructions and don't explore the HUD just want to get up so we wanted to make it as easy and intuitive for them to find it as possible.
GameplayDevUFC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:18 PM   #7
LORDTHUNDERBIRD
 
Pappy Knuckles's Arena
 
OVR: 46
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 15,812
Blog Entries: 33
Re: Convoluted Dom Get Up Input

I understand the intent, but I have to agree with Flacco here. Keeping everything one (or two) inputs is a lot more user-friendly and less frustrating than having it change depending on the position. I think the casual would figure it out.

Enviado desde mi Pixel 3a XL mediante Tapatalk
Pappy Knuckles is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:49 PM   #8
EA Sports UFC Developer
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 645
Re: Convoluted Dom Get Up Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I think the casual would figure it out.

Enviado desde mi Pixel 3a XL mediante Tapatalk
Sadly, this was not proven the be the case. Through local testing, focus groups, and even just watching twitch streams and reading comments, it is very clear that many new and casual users would not find the modified getup input.

If you use the hybrid or full assist grappling controls, however, you can always push up on the left stick and it will bring you to the closest getup available.
Skynet is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 PM.

Top -