Home

Backyard/Kumite

This is a discussion on Backyard/Kumite within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Backyard/Kumite

The answers are going to be biased here because OS doesn't speak for the entire game's audience...

But does anyone have a strong attachment to these modes in some way 5 months after launch?

What has been the lasting value of these modes? Was it simply that it created good marketing at the launch (which isn't nothing if you're trying to sell games)?

Is there data to suggest that it's still relevant to the player base now (online or offline)?

What's been the overall cost/benefit analysis to using resources on these modes during the dev cycle between games?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Backyard/Kumite

I doubt anyone bought the game just for this or because of this. But it could be a factor for those that bought 4 and were doubtful for this 5th installment.

Personally I sometimes play it because of the atmosphere, but I almost treat it as a different game altogether.

I also really would like to know that - as some people including you claim - how much of the "development cycle" went to creating this... Obviously it's exactly the same engine. So they made one outfit that is automatically equipped. And they made an arena. Finally there's the sound effects. That's... pretty much it.

It's a pity the mode isn't available for regular fights. I don't expect many people to opt for it, but it's weird that it's not even an option.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
Rookie

If in all this time he opens them used in 4 or 5 fights it is a lot, they do not interest me at all, unlike UFC Apex, Action Avennue and WFA that I use them a lot
Old 01-30-2021, 04:13 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman316
I doubt anyone bought the game just for this or because of this. But it could be a factor for those that bought 4 and were doubtful for this 5th installment.

Personally I sometimes play it because of the atmosphere, but I almost treat it as a different game altogether.

I also really would like to know that - as some people including you claim - how much of the "development cycle" went to creating this... Obviously it's exactly the same engine. So they made one outfit that is automatically equipped. And they made an arena. Finally there's the sound effects. That's... pretty much it.

It's a pity the mode isn't available for regular fights. I don't expect many people to opt for it, but it's weird that it's not even an option.
They actually did all that twice (once for each modr) and apparently every thing we deem as small actually takes a small act of God to accomplish.

So in essence six things, IMO is quite a lot of art resources.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2021, 05:04 AM   #5
Rookie

i am an offline player. and I really like the idea behind Kumite, backyard and action avenue. I just didn't like the execution. in the 3 locations we are limited to one type of clothing we could have the option to change the fighters' clothes ...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2021, 05:40 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor.rn
in the 3 locations we are limited to one type of clothing we could have the option to change the fighters' clothes ...
Aside from personal preference, the idea of limitations on the available options is quite ridiculous. Why in god's name would you make an extra effort to impose this limitation, knowing if will only lead to small frustrations and will not gain you anything as a company except small loads of bad publicity.

It's happened with "crosshairs" in FPS games that were purchasable, which is a quite daring practice I'd say, and got a lot of negative perception on the company in question. But at least the option is still there and imo it's the dev's choice what to provide or not. But if it's "DLC" I won't consider it as part of the core game and will value the game like it didn't have it.

I remember people complaining about it a LOT in the latest Tomb Raider game, where about 50% of the areas will restrict your clothing options. The idea behind it was "immersion" which is a valid point for sure, but the thing is that the people who care about it will not opt for the non-immersive choice, so why would you force that upon the others? Same thing for Skyrim: the default game doesn't force you to eat food and stay warm. If you are desperate for immersion, you can eat and sleep realistically. But they don't impose that as it'll piss off some people. If there was any technical reason for it people would understand, but there's nothing. It's exactly the same for the KO mode: the immersive option is imposed. Why? The stage doesn't have special lightning that the other clothing options can't deal with.

The latter is kind of my frustration with EAUFC: the options are all there, but we are locked out of them. Imo we are no longer in an age where it's considered a good practice to restrict options, at least not in the 'Western' world. It's a bit ridiculous that I'm writing all this for such a small gripe, but I just can't grasp why devs are making this choice.

Last edited by Blackman316; 02-02-2021 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:15 PM   #7
Pro

I unexpectedly really, really like these modes. Especially the Kumite. So much so, that I wish there was a way to optionally play it.

And I’m all about “true to sport” gameplay and presentation. I always use realistic tactics and strategies - and have been since the UD3 days of holding people against the fence with Jake Shields and Jon Fitch.

But the Kumite just has a really unique vibe to it. Totally different energy when playing a competitive match. It’s fun using a super realistic, modern MMA gameplan... yet in this movie-esque setting. Idk, definitely didn’t expect to like it but I actually wish I could play it more.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #8
Banned

Irish0331's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Grappler
I unexpectedly really, really like these modes. Especially the Kumite. So much so, that I wish there was a way to optionally play it.

And I’m all about “true to sport” gameplay and presentation. I always use realistic tactics and strategies - and have been since the UD3 days of holding people against the fence with Jake Shields and Jon Fitch.

But the Kumite just has a really unique vibe to it. Totally different energy when playing a competitive match. It’s fun using a super realistic, modern MMA gameplan... yet in this movie-esque setting. Idk, definitely didn’t expect to like it but I actually wish I could play it more.

It must blow your mind, like it does mine, that such an intricate part of the sport (clinch fighting) is basically non existent.

Granted, we don't see fighters at the UFC level leaning into each other and clinch fighting/pummeling back and forth in the center of the octagon (unless they are dog *** tired) too much, so i could understand why we don't have the kind of center cage transitions that we had in 3....but fighting in a clinch off the cage happens so regularly i'm beyond baffled its not in the game. As an offline/universe guy, i wasn't too happy seeing zero attention paid to additional caf slots/lack of full customization/custom sliders not being included in event mode etc....but there are work arounds for those issues. Theres no work arounds when it comes to the lack of clinch fighting/pummeling/reversing position etc up against the cage. Frankly, theres no excuse for it not being there. This is the one thing about the game that = me playing it here and there and getting bored kinda quickly versus rabidly playing it all the time. Maybe this analogy isn't the best but imagine your punt return team take the field in madden...but your only option is to call a fair catch. It's there, but not. Ya know what I mean?

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »