Home

How do I defend the drag-down takedowns from back clinch?

This is a discussion on How do I defend the drag-down takedowns from back clinch? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-31-2021, 03:56 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
How do I defend the drag-down takedowns from back clinch?

How do I deny the drag takedowns when my opponent has my back standing?

These dragging takedowns [b]really[/i] frustrate me, because it doesn’t seem like any “common sense” strategy works. Matching the direction of their movement doesn’t work. Moving the opposite direction, doesn’t work. Simply holding RT+LT (standard TD defense) doesn’t work.

Even more frustrating is that I can’t seem to get a concrete answer on this. Some people say you have to stay still - once you move, you get taken down. But I’ve tried that, and still get dragged backwards (or forwards... either one).

And it’s not just the dragging TDs (pulling you backwards into back sitting, or forwards into backside). Sometimes, from this position, they do a sort of “step and elevate” maneuver, dropping you into backside. Again... standard TD defense doesn’t work.

It’s horrible to not know how to deny such a standard, common, seemingly basic move. It totally costs me so many matches where I’m thoroughly outplaying my opponent. Aside from that one takedown, I’m the far superior grappler. They’re afraid to even engage the grappling and standup even when they have me in a dominant position. But they like know 2-3 tricks to get behind me, where they can just run the clock and drag me all over the place without any resistance.

The worst (and best) part about these TDs is the positions you land in. They are what I used to refer to as “folkstyle meta” on UFC 3... basically positions where you’re at least two transitions away from danger. So you can basically prioritize denying the transitions that break this cycle, whilst racking up control time, throwing a strike every 20 secs (accelerated clock) to avoid standups... and basically just float around and win.

So I mean, yeah. I gotta learn how to defend these. I NEVER quit games early, because no matter how bad I’m getting wooped I always feel I’m a takedown away from breaking my opponent. But these freebies into folkstyle meta, risk free positions is just a lost cause, at least for my style. So yeah. Help plz!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2021, 10:46 AM   #2
MVP

Re: How do I defend the drag-down takedowns from back clinch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Grappler
How do I deny the drag takedowns when my opponent has my back standing?

These dragging takedowns [b]really[/i] frustrate me, because it doesn’t seem like any “common sense” strategy works. Matching the direction of their movement doesn’t work. Moving the opposite direction, doesn’t work. Simply holding RT+LT (standard TD defense) doesn’t work.

Even more frustrating is that I can’t seem to get a concrete answer on this. Some people say you have to stay still - once you move, you get taken down. But I’ve tried that, and still get dragged backwards (or forwards... either one).

And it’s not just the dragging TDs (pulling you backwards into back sitting, or forwards into backside). Sometimes, from this position, they do a sort of “step and elevate” maneuver, dropping you into backside. Again... standard TD defense doesn’t work.

It’s horrible to not know how to deny such a standard, common, seemingly basic move. It totally costs me so many matches where I’m thoroughly outplaying my opponent. Aside from that one takedown, I’m the far superior grappler. They’re afraid to even engage the grappling and standup even when they have me in a dominant position. But they like know 2-3 tricks to get behind me, where they can just run the clock and drag me all over the place without any resistance.

The worst (and best) part about these TDs is the positions you land in. They are what I used to refer to as “folkstyle meta” on UFC 3... basically positions where you’re at least two transitions away from danger. So you can basically prioritize denying the transitions that break this cycle, whilst racking up control time, throwing a strike every 20 secs (accelerated clock) to avoid standups... and basically just float around and win.

So I mean, yeah. I gotta learn how to defend these. I NEVER quit games early, because no matter how bad I’m getting wooped I always feel I’m a takedown away from breaking my opponent. But these freebies into folkstyle meta, risk free positions is just a lost cause, at least for my style. So yeah. Help plz!

The answer really is to stand still. If you start moving as soon as the back is taken, their drag down gets priority. If they start throwing leg knees you can move forward to escape, but otherwise stand still and hold L2 and R2.

Have someone lab this with you. You will deny both the drag down to back sitting and the slam to back side and get an immediate escape if you move after the animation. If you try to escape forward and they are holding the triggers you will be dragged into back side that way. The only way to deny this is to stand still and hold the triggers to sneak out the back.

The only time this doesn’t work is if they drag you down to back sitting and hit either up or down on the left stick. At that point you have to match their direction. The denial is almost always up on the left stick according to Romero, but again, you can lab that.

If they go for a strike or the jumping back take, if you are fast enough you can quickly let go of L2 to defend either.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-31-2021, 11:41 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
The answer really is to stand still. If you start moving as soon as the back is taken, their drag down gets priority. If they start throwing leg knees you can move forward to escape, but otherwise stand still and hold L2 and R2.

Have someone lab this with you. You will deny both the drag down to back sitting and the slam to back side and get an immediate escape if you move after the animation. If you try to escape forward and they are holding the triggers you will be dragged into back side that way. The only way to deny this is to stand still and hold the triggers to sneak out the back.

The only time this doesn’t work is if they drag you down to back sitting and hit either up or down on the left stick. At that point you have to match their direction. The denial is almost always up on the left stick according to Romero, but again, you can lab that.

If they go for a strike or the jumping back take, if you are fast enough you can quickly let go of L2 to defend either.

How do you go for backtake in the open? I think it's a different input. I tried the input when its against the cage but it doesnr work.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:24 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
How do you go for backtake in the open? I think it's a different input. I tried the input when its against the cage but it doesnr work.
LT, RB, X. That's what I use atleast lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-31-2021, 12:37 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey

I'm just going to re-quote this post, because it's great. Boop.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2021, 01:13 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil97
LT, RB, X. That's what I use atleast lol.

Thanks I kept trying to use the same input as it is against the cage. I dont understand why it isn't consistent.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:59 AM   #7
Pro

MeowingForVengeance's Arena

They replaced one unintuitive clinch system with another unintuitive clinch system. How delightful!
Old 02-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowingForVengeance
They replaced one unintuitive clinch system with another unintuitive clinch system. How delightful!
I think this one is more intuitive in terms of using it. But I understand ppl could feel different. But it is definitely unintuitive in the sense the tutorials aren't complete. There's a lot of details that are left to the player to figure out. I would've preferred if they used the old analog stick method for transitions with the HUD, that's way better.

Idk whats preventing that. Maybe they though it would be more user friendly? To me the issue isn't the input, but I would guess the using the same stick transitions for clinch would be easier than reamaking a new HUD for the button inputs. The main problem is the lack of a hud for new players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »