Home

The taunt animation?

This is a discussion on The taunt animation? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2021, 06:32 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: The taunt animation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUFCVeteran
(...)fighters in real life will taunt, then raise their guard or attack when they see someone about to strike. The other thing it will do is heavily, heavily reduce the use of taunts (...) you probably won't even see people use them as Conor or Nate
Yep exactly. Big reason fighter’s taunt is to ENCOURAGE an attack (then block or counter it). Being able to immediately block, sway or counter is the main reason taunts are fun in the first place (both in game and IRL). Taunts are essentially a way of “flexing” one’s reflexes and/or defensive prowess.

No one taunts just to show off they can do a cool move. Unless they’re Michel Pereira.

If you can’t immediately block, sway or counter from a taunting position... it defeats the purpose of having them in the game.

Also, most of the elaborate, uncancellable “taunts” taporsnap are referring to, such as Pettis pointing to his back, GSP’s jumping split, backflips, etc. aren’t really taunts. They’re pre-fight signature moves that the devs randomly decided to let players access mid-fight during an update on UFC 3. Those aren’t really “taunts” in the classical sense and shouldn’t be used mid-fight as such. Real taunts, like antagonistic minor hand motions, are the ones that should be more responsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martialxd
hope can add a ground taunt animation
People because of the ground taunt
so they enter the ground

Animation can be simple
It's like doing it with both hands
say come on'
Yeah we definitely need ground taunts.
Both from top position and bottom position. The ones on top could be more Khabib style, just talking ****. Or from backside you can do the Brock Lesnar or Ben Askren style hand motions.

Ones from bottom could just be exclusive to the Diaz bros, waving you in, flipping you off, etc.

Last edited by Good Grappler; 02-10-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOrSnap
I figured it would be a controversial comment, I'm glad that I was not dissappointed. Would anyone like to provide a counter point to Haz?

From my perspective, I think if we made more taunts uncancellable we would have to include a reward mechanic for executing them. Make them part of the meta rather than just a flex against your real world opponent. A stamina boost from psyching yourself up for example. Anyways just the rantings of a dev, nothing to see here.

As of right now the only uncancellable animations are the ones where cancelling at certain points resulted in game breaking or immersion breaking animation issues. If you have specific examples of taunts which just seem buggy by all means please let us know.
I think those taunts you’re referring to aren’t really true “taunts” - they’re the animations of “signature moves” from pre-fight celebrations that players can trigger mid-fight. Using those is really impractical mid-fight, or while anywhere within striking range of opponent, unless they just got knocked down. I got no problem with those being uncancellable, as anyone stupid enough to use them within striking range doesn’t deserve to win.

When it comes to the more traditional, simple taunts though - Khabib vs Gaethje, Diaz vs Conor, or Conor vs Eddie for example - those should definitely be immediately cancellable. I think you should even be able to immediately sway... that’s what’s really missing from the taunts. Silva or Izzy style.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #11
MVP

Only thing I'd say is : I just wish the d pad was used for other things besides taunts , seems like a waste to me.

It could be used for changer fighter stances. Or even custom combos.

Hell even running .

Sent from my Nokia 2.4 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2021, 01:05 PM   #12
EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

TapOrSnap's Arena

Everyone has made very good points on this thread and I wanted to let you all know your feedback is appreciated. It's seems the general consensus is fairly firmly in the camp of not making all taunts uncancellable so I won't pursue that idea further.

In regards to the other suggestions that were posted. I don't know when or if I will get to implement them but I'll make notes and save them for later.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »