Home

The taunt animation?

This is a discussion on The taunt animation? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The taunt animation?

Why does the taunt animation sometimes not cancel out? Was this done on purpose or is it a bug?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2021, 01:37 PM   #2
EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

TapOrSnap's Arena

Re: The taunt animation?

We have some taunts which are not cancellable during certain segments because the animation is so radically different from your base pose that to allow it to cancel would result in your fighter warping back to idle, which would be ugly. For example in a taunt where the fighter turns his back the only way to get him to return nicely to facing you is to allow him to finish his rotation.

Honestly from my perspective I would like to make the majority of taunts uncancellable. It would raise the stakes when using them.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #3
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

There are other taunts besides extreme ones where your back is turned that get frozen also.

It seems to be a glitch where they just freeze sometimes.

Also, no. In no universe should they be uncancellable. What....

Fighters taunt each other all the time without getting frozen into place for a super extra damage free KO shot. Wut.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 02-09-2021, 02:08 PM   #4
EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
There are other taunts besides extreme ones where your back is turned that get frozen also.

It seems to be a glitch where they just freeze sometimes.

Also, no. In no universe should they be uncancellable. What....

Fighters taunt each other all the time without getting frozen into place for a super extra damage free KO shot. Wut.
I figured it would be a controversial comment, I'm glad that I was not dissappointed. Would anyone like to provide a counter point to Haz?

From my perspective, I think if we made more taunts uncancellable we would have to include a reward mechanic for executing them. Make them part of the meta rather than just a flex against your real world opponent. A stamina boost from psyching yourself up for example. Anyways just the rantings of a dev, nothing to see here.

As of right now the only uncancellable animations are the ones where cancelling at certain points resulted in game breaking or immersion breaking animation issues. If you have specific examples of taunts which just seem buggy by all means please let us know.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
MVP

I'm on Haz's side on this one. If I can cancel a strike and takedown, no reason to not be able to cancel a taunt. Also don't like the idea of creating stamina pump ups or whatever, which would create a world where taunting or disrespecting successfully is rewarded and encouraged.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2021, 03:30 PM   #6
Pro

TheUFCVeteran's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOrSnap
I figured it would be a controversial comment, I'm glad that I was not dissappointed. Would anyone like to provide a counter point to Haz?

From my perspective, I think if we made more taunts uncancellable we would have to include a reward mechanic for executing them. Make them part of the meta rather than just a flex against your real world opponent. A stamina boost from psyching yourself up for example. Anyways just the rantings of a dev, nothing to see here.

As of right now the only uncancellable animations are the ones where cancelling at certain points resulted in game breaking or immersion breaking animation issues. If you have specific examples of taunts which just seem buggy by all means please let us know.
Making taunts uncancellable does two things: reduce realism, since fighters in real life will taunt, then raise their guard or attack when they see someone about to strike. The other thing it will do is heavily, heavily reduce the use of taunts - and it's not like people always use them, but you probably won't even see people use them as Conor or Nate because if you can't block, or move people will never taunt in case they get knocked out, unless they're at one side of the Octagon and you're at the other.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:47 PM   #7
Rookie

hope can add a ground taunt animation
People because of the ground taunt
so they enter the ground

Animation can be simple
It's like doing it with both hands
say come on'
Old 02-10-2021, 06:03 PM   #8
Pro

Regarding OP’s question, there is actually a bug that prevents some taunts from being cancellable - even the taunts that are supposed to be cancellable. Most taunts are cancellable - aside from the ones TapOrSnap mentioned. This bug can be avoided and/or remedied though.

Basically, if you input a taunt while in the middle of doing something* (such as before the animation of your strike has completed, while using head movement, or back-dashing)... THAT taunt cannot be canceled the normal way by blocking. In those cases, you have to throw a strike to “snap out” of the animation (which you can then cancel or whatever).

*I’m not 100% certain about what specific things cause the bug.

For a taunt to work normally and be cancellable, you have to be completely stationary and all animations need to be completely finished before inputting the taunt. So if you just backdashed, wait until your fighter’s completely settled back into their base stance before inputting the taunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOrSnap

Honestly from my perspective I would like to make the majority of taunts uncancellable. It would raise the stakes when using them.
I disagree. Sure, for some more “elaborate” taunts, where warping to idle would look weird... I get it. Such as backflips or spins.

But antagonistic taunts like “WHAT?!”, should be super responsive - both in activation and cancellation. You should be able to just mix it right into a combination. Sorta like Khabib did vs Justin. Or Max vs Kattar. Or Nate Diaz in almost every fight.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »