Home

Undisputed Series

This is a discussion on Undisputed Series within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2021, 11:54 AM   #1
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5
Undisputed Series

Just curious how many of you that are enjoying these EA games so far have actually played the Undisputed series?

I've seen some polls on Facebook and was shocked at how many haven't played it at all and missed out on arguably the greatest MMA video gaming experience we may ever get.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Undisputed Series

UD3 is still the GOAT.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 02-26-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
Pro

Another one of these threads I see.

Undisputed 3's clearest strength over the EA UFC games is the amount of offline content but I think the gameplay completely falls apart once players try to win by any means necessary. Undisputed 3's legacy is left unscrutinized because it's from an era when console online communities were considerably smaller so its problems were not highlighted to the public the way it happens to games today. You could quit ranked matches on the original Undisputed 09 without getting a loss and even Undisputed 3 had horrible online functionality.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:09 PM   #4
Pro

TheUFCVeteran's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
Another one of these threads I see.

Undisputed 3's clearest strength over the EA UFC games is the amount of offline content but I think the gameplay completely falls apart once players try to win by any means necessary. Undisputed 3's legacy is left unscrutinized because it's from an era when console online communities were considerably smaller so its problems were not highlighted to the public the way it happens to games today. You could quit ranked matches on the original Undisputed 09 without getting a loss and even Undisputed 3 had horrible online functionality.
For what it's worth, I played against one of the UD3's best players in its heyday the other week. I was not prepared for how well he could stifle me, but not once, not once did I ever feel like I wasn't in control. With the EA games, the way they balance it makes the game feel clunky because of artificial delays on when you can and can't strike, for balance reasons. UD3 is remarkably well balanced. If you know what you're doing, every ground position can be escaped with the correct timing. You never feel like you can't strike due to artificial limitations.

Having said that: the top level of UD3 was not particularly realistic. Neither is EA UFC. Lots of body shots and a grapple heavy gameplan. Thing is, just by virtue of the game's speed, pace (on sim) and animations, it felt a whole lot more realistic than the EA games.

Even if you're a top player, you had to be wary when facing a guy like Hendo. You know that if you slip up, one right hand and a chopping hook can rock you and put you in a really bad position. You can take a few knockdowns, but that damage piles up very quickly, especially if you're eating shots on the mat as well.

What I love above all about UD3 is the sense of total control, and the stamina/damage. There's something about the EA games which leads to a sense of frustration, and sure, I'm not the best player, far from it, but because of how it's balanced, I feel like I should be able to hit someone after a head kick is blocked, but I can't because they're not able to recover the block fast enough/the animation is too slow.

A combination of that and sluggish animations + inputs not coming out (again, for balance reasons) really makes the whole thing feel clunky to play.

You are on the money with the online. UD3's netcode is horrible, and even worse pre-patch. It's basically a 50/50 on whether you can grapple with the person you're playing against, sometimes it will just explode once you get in the clinch or shoot for a takedown. Some people you can grapple with fine, others, not so much.

People complain about EA's netcode but it is so, so, so much better than any of the Undisputed games (especially 3, although I hear 2010 was apparently even worse). EA's netcode would be a dream come true for UD3.

But when it works, oh man, it is so good. I can play UD3 online for hours and not get bored.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
For what it's worth, I played against one of the UD3's best players in its heyday the other week. I was not prepared for how well he could stifle me, but not once, not once did I ever feel like I wasn't in control.
Honestly I don't know how much that is worth really. Playing private for-fun matches with a few players (regardless of how good they are) is not comparable to having thousands (or tens of thousands or whatever) of people that are trying to win as easily as possible. This phenomenon is pretty evident if you look at any PVP game that gets launched with something OP/broken that somehow missed the playtesting.

We've discussed UD 3 a few time so I'd like to avoid repeating same points but generally speaking I agree that Undisputed is considerably snappier which makes the gameplay feel smooth especially when transitioning from striking to grappling. However, I find footwork and sways really janky in Undisputed. Also, while Undisputed is flashy I think the actual mechanics are quite hollow. For example, I would attribute Hendo's dangerousness in UD 3 to the game's punishing damage system that feels good despite the limited striking mechanics.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #6
MVP

Undisputed 3 is better than any of the EA UFC games. The main thing EA UFC has over it is the vulnerability system and deeper metrics, but that can be offset by input delay and what not.

UD3:
- Actual fighter uniqueness. (Wonderboy is the only fighter that feels genuinely unique in EA UFC)
- Deeper grappling (more positions and strategies)
- better transition and transition blocking system
- Responsiveness
- ground movement
- better animations
- pride mode
- sim mode
- offline modes

If you take all the features of UFC 4 and add it to UD3 it would be better than vice versa. It just looked and felt better.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:56 PM   #7
Pro

I honestly feel that UFC 4 at it's core is actually a really good game, BUT there are a couple things that ruin it completely. I'll try to make this as short as I can. Cosmetics are a no go. I honestly never thought I'd see such dumb and silly looking cosmetics in an MMA game... let alone a fully licensed UFC game... baffles my mind. When I think cosmetics in an MMA game I think actual brands like Tapout, Affliction, Adidas, etc. Now if it's licensing issues then I understand, but still give us something along the lines of that... instead of rainbow shorts, and bob the builder...

CAFS should only fight in UFC gear in UFC venues. In non UFC venues that's fine, it's just so immersion breaking the way it is now. The emotes..... I don't even know what to say about them. Many of us said they should be changed to the intro of the fight when fighters are getting introduced, but that's been removed so idk on that topic. Tweaks to gameplay, new camera angles, new career mode CAF AI postures. Alright let's start with tweaks to gameplay. Honestly, it's almost there... turn the damage up and stamina up just a tad and I think we'll be there. Maybe add some new animations if possible, it's always welcome. New camera angles; I'm actually talking about a specific one Martial Mind brought up in a sorta recent video, I think it's like 2 weeks old. There's a camera glitch that happened in his video where the camera captured the fight in full 360 degrees. It looked amazing. He loved it, many people in the comments loved it, I loved it lol. Would be amazing to receive that camera angle, gives it a realistic broadcast presentation feel to it. Actually reminds me of the broadcast camera in Fight Night Champion. Moving on, new career mode CAF AI postures. This would be pretty big for offline players. So I've noticed the AI CAFS in UFC 3 AND 4, ALL HAVE THE SAME POSTURE. It's the default one I believe. Stipe Miocic has it and Raquel Pennington as well. It's not the best looking posture, and it definitely got old seeing it for 2 iterations of the game now... oh and one last thing, the KO replay camera angles with the bluish tint looks awful. Definitely prefer the more realistic presentation style replays, which are still there just not for KO's.

There's definitely more things and ideas to talk about, but these are just things that I think can elevate the game significantly.

Last edited by Stealthhh; 02-26-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:13 AM   #8
Rookie

I've played from UD 2009, which was limited but very well balanced with its archetypes system and introduced great grappling mechanics.

They dropped the ball with UD 2010, way too easy to clinch and takedown, almost impossible to go to decision, but it paved the way for a great ground and pound system.

UD 3 was great, main problems were online netcode and default stamina for ranked. Also the damage system was obsolete.

I then skipped EA UFC 1 and 2 because I didn't really like them.

Started again with EA UFC 3, very good game especially the striking and how fluid it was. Bad clinch system and ground and pound, ground game a bit stale.

EA UFC 4...I don't know man. The striking it's better than 3 on paper, but it doesn't feel as satisfying to me and I can't explain why. It feels more chaotic and claustrophobic, less methodical and clean than 3 but, again, I can't really explain why.
I appreciate that they tried to revamp clinch and ground and pound but, I don't know, they still need to be improved a lot.
I also stopped playing online here for the toxicity of the community, and there's not much offline content.

My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »