Home

Official EA SPORTS UFC 14 Wishlist/MMA Feedback Thread

This is a discussion on Official EA SPORTS UFC 14 Wishlist/MMA Feedback Thread within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
EA Game Changer

CoreySA's Arena

OVR: 4
Official EA SPORTS UFC 14 Wishlist/MMA Feedback Thread

Hey OS MMA fans! For those that don't know me, I'm CoreySA, one of the EA SPORTS Game Changers, and I'm also a huge MMA enthusiast. I've been training MMA for a while now and have actually trained with such UFC fighters as Anthony Pettis and BJ Penn. Needless to say, I place MMA very high on my list of priorities.

Over the past few months, I have begun having dialogue with the guys up at EA Canada and more specifically with regards to EA's upcoming UFC/MMA title.

I've started this thread because I want to be sure to gather as many wishlist items as I can in regards to what the community wants in terms of features and gameplay that they're looking for in the next UFC title. I will be in this thread continuously looking for any and all feedback and I can assure you that I will forward all of the ideas and items in here directly to the community managers and dev teams up at EA Canada.

What I'm looking for (or what you can add here):

1. Wishlist items or new requested features you'd like to see in UFC 14 (this is not the confirmed title).

2. Feedback on EA SPORTS' previous MMA title.

3. Feedback on what positives you enjoyed from the UFC Undisputed series and what you'd like to see EA SPORTS try and push over to this series.

Any and all ideas are welcome, so feel free to add! I can also be found on Twitter: @CoreySA, so if you have any other questions or comments feel free to hit me up anytime!

EA SPORTS Game Changer
Post-Game Podcast Founder & Co-host
Bay Area Sports & Euro Footie Enthusiast

Twitter -- @CoreySA
XBL: CoreySA
PSN: CAndress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Official EA SPORTS UFC 14 Wishlist/MMA Feedback Thread

You should talk to Steve to get your light blue name since you're a game changer.

I'll have to think to answer those questions, but off the top of my head things I want included in the new UFC game. One of the biggest things for me since I am a mostly offline player is being able to edit the stats/moves the way I see fit. If I don't like someone's rating I should be able to change it for offline play, but that shouldn't be a problem since in every EA game I remember it's editable.

Another thing is I thought EA MMA career mode was a right step in the direction for a good career mode but it still needs a lot of work.

One of the biggest issues for me in the UFC games was the damage system. There was no recovery of sorts after you got rocked a first time, and it was basically a fight for who could knock out the opponent the quickest.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

1. Editable rosters at least for offline players. Like any other sports game, you have a roster that you can edit anyway you want to, but then if you want to play online, have an official online roster.

2. Make leg kicks be more powerful. I felt in every MMA game ever released, leg kicks were too weak to the point majority of online players didn't respect leg kicks and just walked through them to button mash punch buttons. Leg kicks should be powerful to the point you have to respect them and check them, if not your leg will get jacked up and your movement will be severely limited far as speed and explosiveness.

3. More submission moves and some submission moves should be much harder to escape then others. In all MMA games you could escape any submission move in the same time frame with no effort what so ever. There should be a struggle and not just an instant your out of it animation.

Also submission moves attempts should cause some type of limb damage to a player. Nothing grinds my gears more then to put somebody in a knee bar or an armbar and they moving around like nothing happened to them.

4. Fix the muay thai clinch. Last year's UFC game people got out of it way too quick, literally after one knee they were automatically out of the clinch. Shouldn't be that way. The stronger fighter should be able to hold the weaker fighter in the clinch much longer. Made playing as Anderson Silva boring and pointless because you couldn't hold anybody in the muay thai clinch.

5. Cut down the amount of reversals. Ground game is an instant reversal fest. Put a limit on it per a round, like twice per a round.

6. Clinch up against the cage should be allowed to happen as long as the fighter want it to happen as long as they were punching or throwing knees. I found that in the last UFC game the ref would break it up way too quick and didn't allow a player to wear another player down with knees or shoulder thrusts up against the cage.

Hell I would dare say the last UFC game was ANTI-CLINCH. Didn't matter where you were, middle of the ring or up against the cage, if you tried to do any clinch work, it was either instantly broken or the ref would step in and break it up way too quick.

7. More visible damage to the player models and damage to a player's body should hinder movement. Last UFC game you could punch or kick a person in the side or gut 40 times, they still moved at full speed. Still was able to do take downs at full speed. Still was able to do reversals at full speed. Could do several leg lock or arm lock attempts, didn't hinder the movement of that limb at all.

8. Cut down the amount of instant KOs and flash KOs. Makes playing online unbearable because all people do is spam the punch button because they know how easy it is to KO somebody by doing that. MMA game should be about strategy, not who can button mash the fastest wins.

9. User should be able to create a fighter WITHOUT having to play some damn season mode. Nobody should be FORCED to play season mode to create a fighter that isn't in the game.

10. Season mode over all needs to be revamped. Way too boring, too short and too stale. Need a GM mode or something, where you can hire your coaches for your fighter. Make season mode online playable as well.

11. Spectator mode was the best thing about EA MMA. This need to return and allow up to 16 people or more to be watch the same fight or user created PPV card.

12. Submission sweeps. Part of real life, need to be in the game. Some fighters use submission moves to sweep or simply get to a better position.

13. Physics.......Make height, reach and leverage actually matter.

14. A complex but yet user editable CPU AI tendency for each fighter in the game. That way if a fighter so happen to change the way they fight in real life, we as the consumer can change it in the game OURSELVES. I still play the last UFC game and about half of the fighters in the game changed their fighting style in real life.

Some examples:

Throw body punches
Throw head punches
Throw leg kicks
Throw body kicks
Throw head kicks
Go for take downs
Go for clinches
Go for head submissions
Go for arm submissions
Go for leg submissions
Aggressive fighter
Counter puncher
Cautious fighter
Reckless fighter

15. Please make sure the ratings actually matter. If I have a 94 rated submission offense guy and going against a 74 submission defense guy, no way in hell should that defense guy escape my submission attempts INSTANTLY.

16. Body punches and kicks to the body should do more damage.

17. Slams should do more damage.

18. People shouldn't be able to escape from back control INSTANTLY, nor should they be able to automatically block your punches or knees from back control.

19. Blocking all the time should cause damage to your arms. This will stop people from holding down block all game long. Like in real life, if you constantly take punches or kicks to your arms from blocking them, eventually your arm will break or get severely damaged.

20. Game sliders........MMA should be treated like a sports game and not a fighting game. Therefore we need sliders.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Pro

22cedric's Arena

OVR: 11

Have Mike Goldberg & Joe Rogan do the commentary for the game. There actual 3D models should be in the game also. Make sure commentary is fluid, non repetitive, & not scripted. Add physics & footplanting in the game. This will remove the canned animations in the game. Also have motion capture if needed.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
EA Game Changer

CoreySA's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
1. Editable rosters at least for offline players. Like any other sports game, you have a roster that you can edit anyway you want to, but then if you want to play online, have an official online roster.

2. Make leg kicks be more powerful. I felt in every MMA game ever released, leg kicks were too weak to the point majority of online players didn't respect leg kicks and just walked through them to button mash punch buttons. Leg kicks should be powerful to the point you have to respect them and check them, if not your leg will get jacked up and your movement will be severely limited far as speed and explosiveness.

3. More submission moves and some submission moves should be much harder to escape then others. In all MMA games you could escape any submission move in the same time frame with no effort what so ever. There should be a struggle and not just an instant your out of it animation.

Also submission moves attempts should cause some type of limb damage to a player. Nothing grinds my gears more then to put somebody in a knee bar or an armbar and they moving around like nothing happened to them.

4. Fix the muay thai clinch. Last year's UFC game people got out of it way too quick, literally after one knee they were automatically out of the clinch. Shouldn't be that way. The stronger fighter should be able to hold the weaker fighter in the clinch much longer. Made playing as Anderson Silva boring and pointless because you couldn't hold anybody in the muay thai clinch.

5. Cut down the amount of reversals. Ground game is an instant reversal fest. Put a limit on it per a round, like twice per a round.

6. Clinch up against the cage should be allowed to happen as long as the fighter want it to happen as long as they were punching or throwing knees. I found that in the last UFC game the ref would break it up way too quick and didn't allow a player to wear another player down with knees or shoulder thrusts up against the cage.

Hell I would dare say the last UFC game was ANTI-CLINCH. Didn't matter where you were, middle of the ring or up against the cage, if you tried to do any clinch work, it was either instantly broken or the ref would step in and break it up way too quick.

7. More visible damage to the player models and damage to a player's body should hinder movement. Last UFC game you could punch or kick a person in the side or gut 40 times, they still moved at full speed. Still was able to do take downs at full speed. Still was able to do reversals at full speed. Could do several leg lock or arm lock attempts, didn't hinder the movement of that limb at all.

8. Cut down the amount of instant KOs and flash KOs. Makes playing online unbearable because all people do is spam the punch button because they know how easy it is to KO somebody by doing that. MMA game should be about strategy, not who can button mash the fastest wins.

9. User should be able to create a fighter WITHOUT having to play some damn season mode. Nobody should be FORCED to play season mode to create a fighter that isn't in the game.

10. Season mode over all needs to be revamped. Way too boring, too short and too stale. Need a GM mode or something, where you can hire your coaches for your fighter. Make season mode online playable as well.

11. Spectator mode was the best thing about EA MMA. This need to return and allow up to 16 people or more to be watch the same fight or user created PPV card.

12. Submission sweeps. Part of real life, need to be in the game. Some fighters use submission moves to sweep or simply get to a better position.

13. Physics.......Make height, reach and leverage actually matter.

14. A complex but yet user editable CPU AI tendency for each fighter in the game. That way if a fighter so happen to change the way they fight in real life, we as the consumer can change it in the game OURSELVES. I still play the last UFC game and about half of the fighters in the game changed their fighting style in real life.

Some examples:

Throw body punches
Throw head punches
Throw leg kicks
Throw body kicks
Throw head kicks
Go for take downs
Go for clinches
Go for head submissions
Go for arm submissions
Go for leg submissions
Aggressive fighter
Counter puncher
Cautious fighter
Reckless fighter

15. Please make sure the ratings actually matter. If I have a 94 rated submission offense guy and going against a 74 submission defense guy, no way in hell should that defense guy escape my submission attempts INSTANTLY.

16. Body punches and kicks to the body should do more damage.

17. Slams should do more damage.

18. People shouldn't be able to escape from back control INSTANTLY, nor should they be able to automatically block your punches or knees from back control.

19. Blocking all the time should cause damage to your arms. This will stop people from holding down block all game long. Like in real life, if you constantly take punches or kicks to your arms from blocking them, eventually your arm will break or get severely damaged.

20. Game sliders........MMA should be treated like a sports game and not a fighting game. Therefore we need sliders.

Brilliant post. A ton of amazing points in here. This is exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for. Great work.

What would you guys think of this - a season mode that began with creating a guy and he starts his career by getting invited by Dana White to join the Ultimate Fighter. I think it's silly that a UFC game hasn't incorporated TUF in some way as of yet. Huge potential there.

EA SPORTS Game Changer
Post-Game Podcast Founder & Co-host
Bay Area Sports & Euro Footie Enthusiast

Twitter -- @CoreySA
XBL: CoreySA
PSN: CAndress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

That would be cool, it would be a great way to work in a "training camp" type scenario, to work on and learn the control system. The back story of your fighter and how you would interact w/ other TUF guys would be interesting.
Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

TUF angle would be great if it was truly fleshed out. Have some type of RPG element to it and not just you on TUF and all you do is fight and train. Instead make it more like real life. Give it the Mass Effect angle, where as you can choose to interact with everybody in the house in a positive or negative way. And each choice has a consequence and the CPU remembers it for the rest of your career.

So let us say you were a dick to everybody in the house, all your actions were negative. After the show ended and you try to explore options to other camps, the fighters from the house that so happen to also to be a member of the camp you trying to get in remembers how much of a dick you were and tell their camp owners to not let you in. Or if you do get in, all you training gains would result in a 50% penalty.

Moving on to other elements of the TUF. If you win, you would get an automatic UFC contract of course, but if you lose, I feel the road to the UFC should be a much longer grind then it has been in the past UFC games. There should be more steps. Start off in WFA, then move on to WEC or Strikeforce, THEN move on to the UFC. I never did like the fact you could just do 2 fights in WFA and automatically get offered a fight in the UFC that fast. Sure it happens in real life, but not that often. Most fighters in the UFC had to grind for years in smaller organizations before they got in.

Getting into to the UFC should be a grind. That way when you do get in, you will appreciate it more and take all your fights and training way more seriously. Previous UFC games you didn't have to take it serious because everybody knew after a couple of fights you were automatically granted entrance into the UFC. There should also be a rise and fall element in the game. In real life you aren't in the UFC for life, you can be kicked out if you lose too many fights in a row and be forced to go back to the smaller organizations and try to win your way back into the UFC.

Not only should this happen for your fighter, but all the fighters in the game. It would add realism to the game if you knew if you lose three fights in a row you will be kicked out of the UFC and have to start the grind to get into the UFC over again.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

I also hope all of the overlays for Fox, Fuel, FX & PPV can get into this game. All of the Fuel/FX events Kenny & Anik are announcing, and the Fox & PPV events Rogan & Goldie are announcing.

Regarding TUF I would like it in career mode as long as it wasn't mandatory every single time. You could be offered a spot on TUF and accept/decline, or if you were a "top" prospect you could bypass TUF and go straight into the UFC.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »