Home

Demo is more sim than people think

This is a discussion on Demo is more sim than people think within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Demo is more sim than people think

There has been a lot said about the demo being too aracade like and AI too aggressive.

The more I play I realized how AWSOME this game is.

Striking is a serious upgrade. First some of the strikes are unrealistic...ie Jones cartwheel kick and Jones and Gus abilty to jump off the cage. Not everyone is Anthony Pettis.

However, the depth is sick. the parry system, side step and bob and weave system allow you to set up and bait your opponent very realistically. An intelligent fight is slowed down. If you throw wild haymakers you can get KOd quick. Now that I have parries down. This is a game changer. I wish lowkicks had more impact...but that's ok. Striking is Very strategic and I think two high level players will make fights that look like UFC fights with fast exchanges mixed with set ups and breaks.

Takedowns- my only gripe is strictly visual. The suplex power takedowns look silly. I wish they picked a different animation or possibly did not give every fighter this ability. besides that...its on point. easy enough to do..easy enough to stop. Intercept knees would be cool. but other well timed strikes act as intercept moves so its cool.

Submission - this is as sim as it can get for a videogame. I think gus rating is a bit high...but that is whatever. blocking submission and transitions different make sense. Having submissions move in stages was genious. I think an added layer of depth would be to include the ability to transition one time during an attempt at certain stages. This would be reserved for the top sub guys. When they see a guy is near the end...it would serve as a reset during the battle. but this is the best system so far.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Demo is more sim than people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick32093209
There has been a lot said about the demo being too aracade like and AI too aggressive.

The more I play I realized how AWSOME this game is.

Striking is a serious upgrade. First some of the strikes are unrealistic...ie Jones cartwheel kick and Jones and Gus abilty to jump off the cage. Not everyone is Anthony Pettis.

However, the depth is sick. the parry system, side step and bob and weave system allow you to set up and bait your opponent very realistically. An intelligent fight is slowed down. If you throw wild haymakers you can get KOd quick. Now that I have parries down. This is a game changer. I wish lowkicks had more impact...but that's ok. Striking is Very strategic and I think two high level players will make fights that look like UFC fights with fast exchanges mixed with set ups and breaks.

Takedowns- my only gripe is strictly visual. The suplex power takedowns look silly. I wish they picked a different animation or possibly did not give every fighter this ability. besides that...its on point. easy enough to do..easy enough to stop. Intercept knees would be cool. but other well timed strikes act as intercept moves so its cool.

Submission - this is as sim as it can get for a videogame. I think gus rating is a bit high...but that is whatever. blocking submission and transitions different make sense. Having submissions move in stages was genious. I think an added layer of depth would be to include the ability to transition one time during an attempt at certain stages. This would be reserved for the top sub guys. When they see a guy is near the end...it would serve as a reset during the battle. but this is the best system so far.
I agree with most everything you said...
Old 06-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16

you make good points, most of us who complain about the realism of the game is mostly on the ridiculous AI aggression, but the striking movements, the depth of the grappling and wrestling and submission are generally good.

But for us who want realism, the uber aggressive AI overshadows the good parts of the game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of arcadey comments stem from how the AI fights in the demo.

I definitely agree with a number of your comments. I think against a smart AI or against a sim user you can see a lot of fight variation and excellent results. Like you said, there are some good tools to work with here

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Imperator

Anaxamander's Arena

OVR: 19

I agree with pretty much everything you said. The only moves that I don't really like seeing are the cartwheel kicks, showtimes kicks, and power slams and suplexes. Everything else works for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
MVP

SwedishTouch76's Arena

What is parrying? When I time a high or low block on an incoming strike which opens a brief counter window?
Old 06-08-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishTouch76
What is parrying? When I time a high or low block on an incoming strike which opens a brief counter window?
Go to the tutorial...butboth will open the opponent. You also have to hit the appropriate button its not just the strikes.

I think the overly aggressive AI has more to do with difficulty. I have learned to punish the AI because of it Also...if you use Gus its obvious Jones isn't as aggressive. I think at higher levels and against humans the game will have some real strategy.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #8
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick32093209
Intercept knees would be cool.
Knees should be able to stop a takedown. That was a specific case we tested against to make sure they worked as they were one of the main reasons for many of the knee animations (the standing ones). Timing might be a little trickier than I'd like given that they should be a primary defensive strike against TDs, but I've seen them used successfully both by users and the AI.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »