Home

EA Sports UFC Available Now, Post Your Impressions

This is a discussion on EA Sports UFC Available Now, Post Your Impressions within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
No Official License

Inhocmark's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: EA Sports UFC Available Now, Post Your Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Online is kind of easy so far. Most people have no takedown defense or gorund game. They just try to spam power shots.
You get that in every sports game though until the cream rises to the top. All these things tend to even out.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #18
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Swagger
So do ratings on the fighters even seem to matter? Or is almost always come down to the better player?
Ratings matter a lot. I lost my last two fights primarily because my opponents used Rousey and Silva and I used Zingano and Bader.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedboy
Have not went online yet but can tell you the roster is abysmal. I really cant think of too many intriguing matches and am gonna spend the rest of the day making cafs. I need someone for chuck to fight so im making randy and tito first.
The roster has been known for awhile man, so I don't understand why you bought this if you felt the roster stunk.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
This game is why I feel like every sports game should have a simulation mode for the most hardcore of fans and a mode that is more "inviting" for those that are casuals. I am no UFC fan, I much prefer boxing to UFC (mostly because I don't understand what is happening when they go to the ground). That said this game is fun, and I will be able to extract some hours of enjoyment out of it. I was on the fence about buying it after playing the demo, but I needed another game for my rotation and I am done with Madden. So this will fill in nicely with The Show and AC-IV.

One of my biggest issues from the demo has carried over to the retail copy. User stamina for me depletes way faster than the CPUs. The CPU can throw a 4 punch combination, mix in a kick and attempt a take down and have relatively little stamina loss, I throw 4 or 5 punches/kicks and I am wiped.

In my limited time it does seem like there are varying styles for the fighters. After watching Gustafsson attempt numerous takedowns in the demo, I picked a fighter with lower ground ratings (Michael Bisping) and in my fight with him he didn't attempt a takedown once.

This is all from a very small sample size, but I am liking the game better than I did the demo, even if some of the things I didn't like are still present.

Again, this is from someone who doesn't really follow the UFC all that closely and if I would characterize myself it would be as an extremely casual fan.
Excellent post! This is exactly why I cancelled my preorder & I won't be getting this game. Everything you said is dead on. It's disappointing because I was really looking forward to this game smh.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 25

Just went to a 5 rd decision back to back with real 5min rds.

I will say, the CPU fought aggressively in each first 2 rds. As stamina became an issue, the last 3 rds were fantastic.

Won the first by split decision. Lost the second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #22
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

I definitely recommend doing the challenges, which are basically just extended tutorials, in areas you aren't comfortable. I have done the submission and wrestling challenges twice now to get black belt in everything and will do them a few more times until transition defense is automatic.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #23
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
Just went to a 5 rd decision back to back with real 5min rds.

I will say, the CPU fought aggressively in each first 2 rds. As stamina became an issue, the last 3 rds were fantastic.

Won the first by split decision. Lost the second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which fighters were you using?

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 11

I have the game now and I have mixed feelings about EA's effort. Again, I think it would involve a much deeper conversation about how EA approaches their titles, especially ones they have exclusivity to.

For myself, this game feels a lot less tactical and technical and more like Street Fighter meets UFC. The Street Fighter reference might be a bit much but it's all I can think of right now at the moment. What I want in an MMA game is to feel rewarded for being a smart fighter, not because I can repeatedly cartwheel kick someone into a knock out. I want to feel that feeling out phase that happens in real MMA fights. Sure that doesn't happen in every fight, but it seems to never happen here when playing against the CPU. I feel like all of my wins are cheap. Sure CPU might have me on the ground and I might reverse it and submit my opponent but what I mean is I want to feel rewarded for going in with a strategy and utilizing not only my fighter's strengths but also my opponent's weaknesses. I just don't get that feeling from this game. This doesn't really feel like MMA to me.. it feels like a more arcadey high paced kickboxing game that lets you take the fight to the ground.

The graphics are great and they will only get better. The sound is ok I guess. I applaud them for at least getting some of the real licensed tracks that some of the fighters walk out to (DMX with Silva for example).

So lets talk about the ground game. On default level, reversals come way too easy. When you kick the difficulty up its almost too extreme on the other end. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium. Also with the ground game, when I'm on top of someone and I've beat them to a pulp and delivered that knock out blow, there is no ref coming in to pull me off the dude. Some people might think this is a small thing, but when the ref is just in the ring to check the "make sure the ref is in the game" box and that's all he's there for. That whole feeling of the ref pulling you off a knocked out opponent is non-existent so when it happens you just feel like the game itself (not the ref) stepped in. Speaking of beating the tar out of someone while on the ground, it would have been nice to see the ref pull someone off when you have swarmed them and they can no longer effectively defend themselves. With this game, if you're not defending yourself, there's no ref to step in and stop the fight, you just eventually get KO'ed. So again, I really have no idea why the ref is even in the game. I don't feel like I'm going to see the ref actually stop a fight. I dont mean someone hurt so bad that the fight is stopped out of the blue on dammage.. but I mean the ref truly stepping in while someone's getting beat down and stopping it. THIS is a big deal... its so much part of the atmosphere of a game like this..and I don't think it's there.

I cannot comment on career mode because I have only played several solo fights. Cant comment about online yet either.

Yes I bought the game, and I don't regret buying it either, granted this is relevant to home much disposable income you have. I'm in my 30's with a career so the pain of 60.00 for this game doesnt sting as much. Also I bought the game more because I'm a HUGE MMA and UFC fan and I knew this would be the only game in town (pardon the pun) on next gen. Also there still is a lack of titles in the PS4's and XB1's libary so some people will buy this game just to help fill a void until say the next Madden or something comes out.

Overall I have to give them game a 6.5.. maybe a 7 after I feel what multiplayer is like but I don't see myself going past 7 on this year's effort. It will be interesting to see what EA does with the game in the future. Will they truly invest the time and effort into bringing out the gameplay intricasies of MMA in this title. I'm sure its easier to develop a more arcadey game (requires less figuring out of the gameplay details) and slap an Octagon around it with a UFC logo on it. I guess only time will tell.

PSN = LordHveMercy08

XBL = Lord Hve Mercy

Add me now, because I don't like playing with little random 12 year olds.

Last edited by blackceasar; 06-17-2014 at 02:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »