Home

EA Sports UFC 2 Features Revealed

This is a discussion on EA Sports UFC 2 Features Revealed within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #57
Rookie

mosdef328's Arena

OVR: 0
In regards to the new submission positions. Can you get to an opponents back from a standing position and go for a choke now? Also are submissions limited to certain fighters: I.E. Uriah Faber can try a rear naked choke from standing, but Chuck Liddell can't? Thanks for all the great info. If you can't answer these don't worry about it.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #58
Rookie

santa7999's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Regarding Universe Mode, I'll tell you a story. One of the first things we did at the event was something called Dev 101. The devs asked us to each come up with a mode that we would like to see in the game. I along with one of the other GCers was assigned the hardcore mode. I pitched Universe Mode along with a feature that my partner came up with.

So I pitched a number of devs on the mode and they had questions. Then they asked me to predict the number of people it would take to create this mode. The number I said was WAY OFF. I didnt realize how much work and manpower goes into creating a new mode from UI to Art to Audio to AI to Online (if possible). So my expectation or hope that this team on its second version of the game would give us Universe mode was a bit off.

Now, that doesnt mean I dont want Universe mode and dont think its a great idea. Keep in mind though that THQ was in its 11th year of making WWE games before they implemented Universe mode.

Regarding your questions, I can answer two of those right now. Regarding the roster, its big. I have a copy of the current roster right now (It could change because the team is still working on it) because I was helping them with a side project.

Being the fight nerd that I am, I started inputting the new fighters in my chart and started to look for fighters that were missing and would need to be created by CAF.....I struggled to find significant fighters that werent in the game.

Right now I dont think there are fights between weight classes in play now but there are in event mode. The one issue is I cant remember how they are organized. Its somewhat similar to how UFC 1's online is structured (FW/BW/FEW, LW/WW, MW/LHW and HW) but I feel like Event mode was more open than that. I could be wrong and I'll need to check that once I go back in December.
While I can respect this reason for not having a universe type mode I feel like its something that every sports game needs to have to maintain its appeal for more than a month of two of playing. Its the same thing to me as having season mode in Baseball, or Hockey. Career modes that all the fighting games tend to have are more like Be a Pro, imagine if NHL came out with a version of their game that had no season mode, but only a Be A Pro, exhibition mode, online play, a great CAF, and their micro transaction game (the card nonsense) I know a lot of people enjoy those modes but I feel like it makes the game incomplete in so many ways, you have to collect these cards to compete with other people, it takes forever to earn the coins unless you only play that mode, or spend the cash. We have come to expect the Be a Pro mode (Career) in fighting games though, and we accept the reality that the WWE game is the only place that has a season mode similar to MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA. Just stating the way I thought about this.
As a developer that gave themselves an extra year to develop a game, I feel like what was added to this years game looks like a normal yearly release update. Im sure I am wrong about this but there is nothing major here to me. A new micro transaction online game isn't really up my alley, I know the gameplay will be improved, the AI, and things like that. 2 years is a long time. Sorry if I am ranting, or even sound unappreciative of this years game, but I was really hoping for a Universe type mode and am greatly disappointed that it is not in the game. UFC 3 was great, but again, it got old after a month or 2, I am still playing MLB the show, and NHL 16 because of the season modes. Im sure the gameplay of UFC 2 will be amazing, a lot of online people will love it, the people who love the micro transaction games will love it, but I prefer a season mode over be a pro. I enjoy my fair share of be a pro modes but they get stale pretty quickly. The KO mode sounds kind of silly to me. Basically turn the MMA game into a kickboxing game.
In a more positive note, The CAF has me excited, the event mode is always a welcomed addition and hopefully the start of the implementation of a Season/GM mode for 2018 when the next game most likely comes out . I guess I was expecting some sort of season mode, its silly that we still use spreadsheets to make our own season mode, I think that should have been a bigger priority over an online team mode, and a KO mode. I don't think this will be a purchase for me, which makes me kind of sad, I used to anxiously await the release of the UFC games. It feels like the days of old tracking my goals in NHL on the Genesis in my notebook. =(
Old 11-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports UFC 2 Features Revealed

Any chance there is a Pride rules setting?
Old 11-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #60
MVP

OVR: 1

They said no Invicta stuff because they wanted to focus on the UFC so I doubt any Pride made it in the game.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #61
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirst1000
Any chance there is a Pride rules setting?
Nope. I dont think so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #62
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa7999
While I can respect this reason for not having a universe type mode I feel like its something that every sports game needs to have to maintain its appeal for more than a month of two of playing. Its the same thing to me as having season mode in Baseball, or Hockey. Career modes that all the fighting games tend to have are more like Be a Pro, imagine if NHL came out with a version of their game that had no season mode, but only a Be A Pro, exhibition mode, online play, a great CAF, and their micro transaction game (the card nonsense) I know a lot of people enjoy those modes but I feel like it makes the game incomplete in so many ways, you have to collect these cards to compete with other people, it takes forever to earn the coins unless you only play that mode, or spend the cash. We have come to expect the Be a Pro mode (Career) in fighting games though, and we accept the reality that the WWE game is the only place that has a season mode similar to MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA. Just stating the way I thought about this.
As a developer that gave themselves an extra year to develop a game, I feel like what was added to this years game looks like a normal yearly release update. Im sure I am wrong about this but there is nothing major here to me. A new micro transaction online game isn't really up my alley, I know the gameplay will be improved, the AI, and things like that. 2 years is a long time. Sorry if I am ranting, or even sound unappreciative of this years game, but I was really hoping for a Universe type mode and am greatly disappointed that it is not in the game. UFC 3 was great, but again, it got old after a month or 2, I am still playing MLB the show, and NHL 16 because of the season modes. Im sure the gameplay of UFC 2 will be amazing, a lot of online people will love it, the people who love the micro transaction games will love it, but I prefer a season mode over be a pro. I enjoy my fair share of be a pro modes but they get stale pretty quickly. The KO mode sounds kind of silly to me. Basically turn the MMA game into a kickboxing game.
In a more positive note, The CAF has me excited, the event mode is always a welcomed addition and hopefully the start of the implementation of a Season/GM mode for 2018 when the next game most likely comes out . I guess I was expecting some sort of season mode, its silly that we still use spreadsheets to make our own season mode, I think that should have been a bigger priority over an online team mode, and a KO mode. I don't think this will be a purchase for me, which makes me kind of sad, I used to anxiously await the release of the UFC games. It feels like the days of old tracking my goals in NHL on the Genesis in my notebook. =(

A couple of things:

- They didnt have an extra year to create the game technically. The dev team was working on the UFC 1 through all of 2014 and really didnt get started on UFC 2 until early 2015. The two year cycle gives them more time to add features and patch the previous game. It doesnt give them a ton more time to work on the current one.

- I'm with you. I think that Universe mode would be great and is needed. With that said, Event mode will keep me playing the game until UFC 3. There are almost triple the modes in this years game so people will have plenty of things to keep them going in this game.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #63
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdef328
In regards to the new submission positions. Can you get to an opponents back from a standing position and go for a choke now? Also are submissions limited to certain fighters: I.E. Uriah Faber can try a rear naked choke from standing, but Chuck Liddell can't? Thanks for all the great info. If you can't answer these don't worry about it.
Thats a better question for GameplayDev. I can confirm that every sub wont be available to every fighter and that the movesets will be more closely tailored toward what the real fighter can do.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #64
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
This is the ongoing friendly battle I have with some of the other gamechangers. I think 85% of the time we all agree on changes suggested by one of the GCers. The other 15% is when we get into the balance vs. realism debate. Its just a different mindset.

My goal when I'm playing the game is to simulate a UFC event the best that I can. I fight realistically and suited toward the fighter's style I'm using. I'll use things like house rules to avoid exploiting issues with the AI. I want the AI to fight as realistically as possible. I dont really care if I win or lose as long as I'm having fun and the reason I won or lost is realistic.

Online the goal is to win. Now there are many guys there who avoid exploits and fight realistically and others who use exploits but the goal alone is to win. So if the goal is to win, you want to be put in a situation where your skills are more important than the fighter that you are using.

One example, is I want a much greater range in ratings. I think there should be a big difference between an Anderson Silva and a Francis Carmont. In UFC 1, Silva is a 94 and Carmont is an 85. Now, I would like the difference to be much bigger because Carmont shouldnt be in the same stratosphere as Silva. I would love to see a bunch of fighters in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

The online guys would hate that because it would make the lower rated guys unusable and would pretty much limit the roster for them. Why? Because no one online is going to use a guy in the 70s or 80s. Everyone is picking the best guys because they want to be put in the best situation to win.

Thats the difference in a nutshell. With that said, while we've had disagreements Its been great hearing a different perspective.
you should suggest that in addition to spread out ratings, they should do like 2k and have tiers so lower rated fighters give more wins vs a higher rated fighter to encourage diversity.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »