Home

UFC Universe Mode

This is a discussion on UFC Universe Mode within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2015, 03:25 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: UFC Universe Mode

I think that the universe mode that most people here would like would be pretty easy and relatively quick to implement. Basic W-L tracking, basic belt tracking, basic event history tracking. I mean I do it in an excel spreadsheet right now, I imagine it wouldn't be tough for EA programmers to pull off.

The problem is that the universe mode that we would be happy with isn't one that the average player will be happy with. They're going to want some 'hooks' to keep them interested. Storylines, things like that. That would take a really long time to develop and program and test. It's just sort of an unfortunate fact with a big developer like EA that if something only appeals to the hardcore fans it isn't going to get much attention, and it would take a ton of effort to make a universe mode appeal to the majority of fans to whom it may sell copies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2015, 12:00 PM   #26
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
I think that the universe mode that most people here would like would be pretty easy and relatively quick to implement. Basic W-L tracking, basic belt tracking, basic event history tracking. I mean I do it in an excel spreadsheet right now, I imagine it wouldn't be tough for EA programmers to pull off.

The problem is that the universe mode that we would be happy with isn't one that the average player will be happy with. They're going to want some 'hooks' to keep them interested. Storylines, things like that. That would take a really long time to develop and program and test. It's just sort of an unfortunate fact with a big developer like EA that if something only appeals to the hardcore fans it isn't going to get much attention, and it would take a ton of effort to make a universe mode appeal to the majority of fans to whom it may sell copies.
Great posts. I agree that the first option would be sufficient for most of us here. The problem is convincing the devs that slimmed down mode is worth any of the time to actually create. Their response would likely be "Very few people would use that slimmed down mode and the ones that would have been using Xcel sheets and getting along fine."

Thats why when I pitched Universe mode to the devs, I pitched it very broad. Injuries. Storylines. Fighters refusing to take fights. Scheduling cards. Signing new talent. I also broke it down from a game to game basis. What could conceivably be added to UFC 3, UFC 4 etc.

For a mode like that, it would take a lot of man power. Not to make an excuse for EA or come off like an apologist but once you realize how many people it would take to create a mode, you stop saying "Adding this would be easy to do". Especially when it comes to making a big mode like I was pitching and one that would appeal to more than just the hardest of the hardcore.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #27
MVP

What you pitched is what makes me a little leery about a fleshed out universe mode. I like having full control over matchups, not dealing with injuries, not dealing with signing fighters, etc. But if there were a universe mode I would probably use that because it's easier. Doing the league is just a way to make the fights that I enjoy doing count for something, not an end unto itself. That's contrasted with something like Dynasty mode in NCAA where honestly a lot of the time I'm just playing the games to advance the dynasty.

So I, and some others here, might be better off as far as enjoyment of the game goes if they don't implement a universe mode.

That's just my two cents though, and I wouldn't want them to avoid putting in Universe mode because the hardcore guys would get too lazy to do things their way. I just wouldn't expect the guys doing it right now with our excel sheets to be happy with what we would get since we're used to having so much control right now.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #28
Pro

Tsuki's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
What you pitched is what makes me a little leery about a fleshed out universe mode. I like having full control over matchups, not dealing with injuries, not dealing with signing fighters, etc. But if there were a universe mode I would probably use that because it's easier. Doing the league is just a way to make the fights that I enjoy doing count for something, not an end unto itself. That's contrasted with something like Dynasty mode in NCAA where honestly a lot of the time I'm just playing the games to advance the dynasty.

So I, and some others here, might be better off as far as enjoyment of the game goes if they don't implement a universe mode.

That's just my two cents though, and I wouldn't want them to avoid putting in Universe mode because the hardcore guys would get too lazy to do things their way. I just wouldn't expect the guys doing it right now with our excel sheets to be happy with what we would get since we're used to having so much control right now.
The key to this modes success will be customization IMO. Before you even start you will have things you want added like injuries or fighter personalities and you can say yes to them and get sliders to adjust the frequencies of their affects yourself or you could just simply say no and not have to deal with them.

All sports games in general when it comes to modes need to have as many options as possible to be narrowed down to each player's benefit instead of just locking in a "sim" play style or "arcade" playstyle that cannot be adjusted.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:33 PM   #29
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:

All the control will still be there if they do it right. There is no reason why the devs could add on/off for things like fighter personalities, injuries, fight refusals etc.

I dont see it any different than being able to turn off AI trades or the trading deadline in a game like NBA 2k or the Show.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #30
MVP

On the other hand I don't see it being any different than the lack of control (particularly the lack of in season roster editing) we have in Madden. They could give us a lot of customization and control but starting with the last madden on PS3 they started choosing not to.

NCAA was probably the peak of customizability. We need to get back toward that in all sports games, including this one.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #31
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
On the other hand I don't see it being any different than the lack of control (particularly the lack of in season roster editing) we have in Madden. They could give us a lot of customization and control but starting with the last madden on PS3 they started choosing not to.

NCAA was probably the peak of customizability. We need to get back toward that in all sports games, including this one.
The lack of customization in Madden is because they did a poor job creating CCM and it isnt flexible enough to handle ratings changes with the XP system.

I'm hopeful that UFC 2 will have some form of roster editing but that really comes down to the UFC not EA. Unlike WWE and the sports leagues, UFC pays close attention to the roster. Everything from who is in the game to what they are rated. If there isnt any editing in the game, I have a feeling that this played a role in the decision.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #32
MVP

Yeah, the UFC seems to take an awful lot of interest in how their 'independent contractors' are shown in games, haha. I seriously doubt they'd allow it but it would increase what we could do with homemade leagues a lot.

AI fghters progress in career mode in UFC 1 don't they? Do some regress?

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »