Home

Would you prefer a Dana white mode or trainer mode?

This is a discussion on Would you prefer a Dana white mode or trainer mode? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Would you prefer a Dana white mode or trainer mode?

I think Dana white mode would be fun if it's done correctly. The only problem I could see with it..is you'd be signing new talent which would essentially be randomly generated cafs with good records. Let's say Ronda goes on a 3 fight losing streak then we'd cut her right?
If we're Dana White, we're going to be cutting fighters whenever they go on losing streaks. Fighters such as Anderson Silva, Dan henderson and some of the older guys will also retire early.

So after a few in-game years of Dana White mode, most of the UFC roster could be gone, and our universe would consist of mostly randomly generated cafs.

On the plus side though - Dana White mode could include signing new talent from different organisations, putting fight cards together. Maybe as Dana White you have a budget for each event. You choose how that budget is spent, promotion, press conferences etc.
You can put out embedded videos.

Fighters that you sign can be built into the next Conor Mcgregor, the next Ronda Rousey. You choose who you want to make a star. Do you throw them to the wolves straight away? Or do you build them up slowly? Give them favorable fights? As you negotiate contracts, fighters could ask for more money and threaten to leave.

Trainer mode - In trainer mode, you'd be the next Gregg Jackson, Javiar Mendez, John Kavanagh. You'd manage a stable of fighters, maybe your own created fighter as well as famous fighters on the roster. let's say for example you train Cain Valasque. During a fight, corresponding buttons will shout out instructions If he's not doing well on the feet, you can tell him to go for a takedown. If he's doing well on the feet, you can call for him to keep it standing, tell him to pick up the pace, or stick to the gameplan.

Inbetween rounds, you have the option to let your fighter know how he's doing. For example, A would tell him he did well that round, Y would tell him he lost the round, X for example would tell him he's behind on the scorecards. Another button could tell him he needs to go all out and go for the knockout.

Obviously the AI would need to be a lot better for this to work, but again could be a fun mode.

You could also be in charge of managing the fighters contracts. Let's say you guide a fighter to 6-0 in a smaller promotion and he signs with the UFC. You then have to negotiate his contract, you could for example successfully negotiate a title shot for him if he wins his next fight in the UFC.

You could guide your fighters to successful careers, and if they get to old, you can have the talk and advise them to retire. When they retire, you have their picture up on the wall in your gym. You could then scout and take on new upcoming fighters instead.

I think both modes would be great for the future.

Last edited by scyth223; 05-03-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
MVP

Bigg Cee's Arena

Re: Would you prefer a Dana white mode or trainer mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyth223
I think Dana white mode would be fun if it's done correctly. The only problem I could see with it..is you'd be signing new talent which would
essentially be randomly generated cafs with good records. Let's say Ronda goes on a 3 fight losing streak then we'd cut her right?
If we're Dana White, we're going to be cutting fighters whenever they go on losing streaks. Fighters such as Anderson Silva, Dan hendersin
and some of the older guys will also retire early.

So after a few in-game years of Dana White mode, most of the UFC roster could be gone, and our universe would consist of mostly
randomly generated cafs.

On the plus side though - Dana White mode could include signing new talent from different organisations, putting fight cards
together. Maybe as Dana White you have a budget for each event. You choose how that budget is spent, promotion, press conferences etc.
You can put out embedded videos.

Fighters that you sign can be built into the next Conor Mcgregor, the next Ronda Rousey. You choose who you want to make a star. Do you throw them to the wolves straight away? Or do you build them up slowly? Give them favorable fights? As you negotiate contracts, fighters could ask for more money and threaten to leave.

Trainer mode - In trainer mode, you'd be the next Gregg Jackson, Javiar Mendez, John Kavanagh. You'd manage a stable of fighters, maybe your
own created fighter as well as famous fighters on the roster. let's say for example you train Cain Valasque. During a fight, corresponding
buttons will shout out instructions If he's not doing well on the feet, you can tell him to go for a takedown. If he's doing well on the feet,
you can call for him to keep it standing, tell him to pick up the pace, or stick to the gameplan.

Inbetween rounds, you have the option to let your fighter know how he's doing. For example, A would tell him he did well that round, Y would tell him he lost the round, X for example would tell him he's behind on the scorecards. Another button could tell him he needs to go all out and go for the knockout.

Obviously the AI would need to be a lot better for this to work, but again could be a fun mode.

You could also be in charge of managing the fighters contracts. Let's say you guide a fighter to 6-0 in a smaller promotion and he signs with the UFC. You then have to negotiate his contract, you could for example successfully negotiate a title shot for him if he wins his next fight in the UFC.

You could guide your fighters to successful careers, and if they get to old, you can have the talk and advise them to retire. When they retire, you have their picture up on the wall in your gym. You could then scout and take on new upcoming fighters instead.

I think both modes would be great for the future.
Dana White Mode...
Old 05-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
Banned

Kasel's Arena

I'd love a Dana White mode only if I get to hang out with Nick the tooth, Matt Serra, and have mini games of food eating. /s

I'd love a Dana White mode only if the AI gets better, and fights more like themselves. Nate Diaz for example to throw 1-2 combos with taunts when he hurts you and stuff, use punches almost exclusively, doesn't ever go for takedowns, but goes for submissions aggressively if you take him down. I don't think things like this is hard to do, I really really don't and I don't care what anyone says, this is NOT asking for too much.

And there are more things that would make me interested in a CPU based mode like that, that currently aren't in-game, and they aren't all to do with AI but to do with animations, LOTS of them. We need the bolo punch for specific fighters like Conor, Evan Dunham when/if he makes it in, Cowboy, Condit and some more but not many. Fighters need to feel more unqiue when right now they mostly feel the same, and I always have to use the same techniques to be successful in a fight no matter which fighter i'm using, and it's not right. I know I went off topic I did that a lot in the official forums and I intend to do that here unintentionally
Old 05-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #4
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasel
I'd love a Dana White mode only if I get to hang out with Nick the tooth, Matt Serra, and have mini games of food eating. /s

I'd love a Dana White mode only if the AI gets better, and fights more like themselves. Nate Diaz for example to throw 1-2 combos with taunts when he hurts you and stuff, use punches almost exclusively, doesn't ever go for takedowns, but goes for submissions aggressively if you take him down. I don't think things like this is hard to do, I really really don't and I don't care what anyone says, this is NOT asking for too much.

And there are more things that would make me interested in a CPU based mode like that, that currently aren't in-game, and they aren't all to do with AI but to do with animations, LOTS of them. We need the bolo punch for specific fighters like Conor, Evan Dunham when/if he makes it in, Cowboy, Condit and some more but not many. Fighters need to feel more unqiue when right now they mostly feel the same, and I always have to use the same techniques to be successful in a fight no matter which fighter i'm using, and it's not right. I know I went off topic I did that a lot in the official forums and I intend to do that here unintentionally
See this is the problem with people's view of AI....its sometimes skewed by their memory of certain fights and isnt always correct.

You think Nate Diaz never goes for takedowns but he actually does: He successfully went for 5 takedowns against Josh Neer. 2 against Hermes Franca and Guillard. One against Thomson, Kim, Conor and Stevenson.

He attempted 6 TDs against Henderson. 3 in the 2nd Maynard fight.

So he does go for takedowns. Should he go for them as much as a wrestler? No. But his AI should be programmed so that he attempts them.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Wonder why people always call it "Dana White Mode". Sean Shelby and Joe Silva are the matchmakers. Better to call it something like UFC Front Office Mode and have control over Dana, Joe, and Sean. As well as the Fertitta brothers to come in and shut down any unions the fighters might try to make.

I think they could actually do both. Make Universe Mode for the Front Office, and give an option to do career as a trainer and let you pick what you want your fighter to train for his/her next opponent and simulate the matches. As well as having the regular career mode and just have the trainer be a suggestion type thing. Play it either way.

Universe over trainer mode though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #6
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

I'm not at all interested in a Trainer Mode, so my answer would be Dana White mode... However, I don't want it the way it's described in the OP. I'd much rather a Universe Mode that solely focuses on the UFC (title holders, w/l records, streaks, awards, fighter progression/regression, etc.) and I don't want any randomly generated CAF's in any of these modes (well, maybe that could be an option). I'd much rather have my own CAF's join the mode at any time.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 05-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

I've played 99.8% multiplayer in UFC 1 and 2

Mostly b/c AI is poor, but also b/c the other modes just don't engage me.

If they were able to improve AI by a large margin...and make an interesting 'Dana White' or "UFC Universe Mode" --- I would totally play it

But AI is the key
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3219931900000578-3487851-image-a-71_1457714132621.jpg (70.5 KB, 53 views)
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Old 05-03-2016, 05:19 PM   #8
Banned

Kasel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
See this is the problem with people's view of AI....its sometimes skewed by their memory of certain fights and isnt always correct.

You think Nate Diaz never goes for takedowns but he actually does: He successfully went for 5 takedowns against Josh Neer. 2 against Hermes Franca and Guillard. One against Thomson, Kim, Conor and Stevenson.

He attempted 6 TDs against Henderson. 3 in the 2nd Maynard fight.

So he does go for takedowns. Should he go for them as much as a wrestler? No. But his AI should be programmed so that he attempts them.
Well fighters change, he has become way better in boxing than he was before the Takanori Gomi fight. The Josh Thomson takedown was desperate like Conor's takedown against Nate. You wouldn't want Conor to go for takedowns in-game would you? Conor went for a spot on TD on his last opponent before the UFC, some russian dude (good fight by the way if you haven't seen it I think his name is Ivan Buchinger or something close) Anyway that's not even exactly my point, I can pick someone else like Chuck Liddell or Joanna Jejdwagjnelsk who literally never goes for takedowns. It's important to me that the AI fights like themselves, and a relatively updated version of themselves.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »