Home

Who are the Game changers?

This is a discussion on Who are the Game changers? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #17
EA Game Changer

ZombieRommel's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Who are the Game changers?

First off, hi there.

I see AHolbert and ZHunter have already addressed most of the OP, but I feel personally compelled to respond as well.

I'll be the first to admit I haven't been as active on OS as I was on the original forums. You could say that I've been a little demoralized that the trolls, in a sense, triumphed. I enjoyed Yari's posts and the guy self-banned himself from the old forum. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the regulars from the old forum aside from the trolls.

So I've been slower to acclimate here since I see our departure from the old forums as a kind of displacement, a forced exodus that none of us really wanted. Don't get me wrong. I like it here. Most of the posts I've seen have been constructive and (gasp) coherent. The mods have been very welcoming and awesome to us.

As far as our roles in the game dev process and what we actually did, it's frankly too much to list, and I don't say that in some kind of hyperbolic, self-congratulatory way. Everyone contributed. Basically, the game was REALLY imbalanced when we got there. You could body flurry someone across the cage like Tekken and they couldn't block it. Some tactics were USELESS (jabs and straights). The ground momentum feature was pretty much entirely a product of conversations ZHunter and Solid had with GPD. The strike intercept was largely a product of a conversation between me, GPD, and Brian Hayes. The moveset adjustments via the patches were largely a product of our input, and more are coming. Aholbert has given a ton of input toward AI refinement that is still ongoing. Many of the perks you see in-game are a result of our input (not all, but some).

Some of the stuff we wanted, the devs either decided against or couldn't do because of limited resources. MTS wanted lots of stuff in that would've required brand new mocap. I personally wanted normal clock as default instead of accelerated for example, but a dev explained that they had done research and most people preferred accelerated. We honestly wanted the straight to be more powerful than it is right now. Each buff to the straight was extremely incremental, which is understandable, and ultimately the straight is in a good place, but it's not where we really wanted it.

Point being, it's not like we are in there giving the devs marching orders, pointing fingers and telling them what to do, all while we dine on endless free pizza. We're bouncing ideas off them and creating reasoned arguments for why certain elements of the game should change in one direction or another -- much as we did in our forum posts. They can (and do) offer reasoned counter-arguments. Compromises are often made. To hold the Game Changers 100% responsible is frankly stupid. And to be honest, holding the devs 100% responsible for the game is also stupid because they have a limited budget, timeline, and hardware spec to work with.

Last edited by ZombieRommel; 05-09-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:47 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHunter1990
If you think the combos are ridiculous now, Id be interested in seeimg you play the earlier builds without GC feedback.
I mean, rear str8 body kick, str8 body kick, str8 body kick, str8 body kick is pretty ridiculous, especially if u get stuck in one of those damage animations. That's all competitive players do, then when u fight more casual players it's nothin but spin moves and running away the whole fight. The game is annoying, and the only improvements I've seen from the first, is the movement (somewhat), and the ground, if they add struggle animations for transitions then the ground would be close to perfect. All of which I'm sure EA would have done without the GC's. Striking and clinch, which I think the GC's had most input in, are the worst aspects of the game, and I'm sure is hurting the player count significantly.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2016, 09:58 PM   #19
EA Game Changer

ZombieRommel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTeekliss
I mean, rear str8 body kick, str8 body kick, str8 body kick, str8 body kick is pretty ridiculous, especially if u get stuck in one of those damage animations. That's all competitive players do, then when u fight more casual players it's nothin but spin moves and running away the whole fight. The game is annoying, and the only improvements I've seen from the first, is the movement (somewhat), and the ground, if they add struggle animations for transitions then the ground would be close to perfect. All of which I'm sure EA would have done without the GC's. Striking and clinch, which I think the GC's had most input in, are the worst aspects of the game, and I'm sure is hurting the player count significantly.

Back dash and block low... the straight doesn't hurt much, it's the combo-multiplied body kick you have to worry about sending you into a liver crit. It's annoying but not unbeatable and if you defend well, the other guy WILL spam himself out and you'll have a stamina advantage. MTS is great at using this combo but he mixes you up and is never predictable with it. He also knows the precise range and timing to use it. If scrub #2304581 uses this tactic, he will fail and miserably.

Spinning moves cannot be spammed anymore. Back to back spins result in massive stamina loss, and spins over the long haul do drain good stamina, especially in a 5 round fight. I agree they should drain more to make spamming them in 3 round fights more punishing, but the spinning attack issue is far smaller than it was before the last patch.

As for your last assumption, you're DEAD WRONG, and congrats on basing that assumption on NOTHING. We probably had the most input on the ground because GPD controlled all of the ground game and we've enjoyed constant contact with him.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #20
EA Game Changer

ZHunter1990's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTeekliss

The ground is actually where I gave most of my input.
GPD, Solid and myself sat at his desk for hours going through each position, myself looking for realism while Solid was looking for balance.

The clinch as well as the stand up was in a very bad place before GC feedback. I guess you can either trust what Im saying(because I was there and experienced it) or continue with your blind assumptions.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:21 PM   #21
Banned

drinklime's Arena

What concerns me is why the game was so messed up before the GameChangers got there and had to fix even the most basic elements. I hope UFC 3 is less imbalanced from the get-go
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2016, 10:23 PM   #22
MVP

Bigg Cee's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinklime
What concerns me is why the game was so messed up before the GameChangers got there and had to fix even the most basic elements. I hope UFC 3 is less imbalanced from the get-go
This is actually a great question!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #23
EA Game Changer

ZHunter1990's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Cee
This is actually a great question!
When you add a ton of new mechanics and features into a game. It is bound to have more imbalances, bugs, and exploits.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #24
MVP

SwedishTouch76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinklime
Ya. When I read the above post from Zombie and he says initially upon arrival you could "body flurry an opponent across the ring Tekken style" that terrifies me. I mean someone needs to come in and tell you that's probably not a good game mechanic?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »