Home

How to SOLVE LAGS in EA UFC once and for all

This is a discussion on How to SOLVE LAGS in EA UFC once and for all within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #17
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How to SOLVE LAGS in EA UFC once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet
Look, we're not saying we don't want 60fps and we're not saying that a different kind of netcode, or less lag, would be a bad thing.

HOWEVER, we are saying that having some people at 60fps and some at 30fps would not work, as if nothing else, the person at 60fps would have an unfair advantage over their opponent. That alone is enough reason to not do it in a competitive game such as this. If anyone has to play at 30fps, then everyone plays at 30fps. If everyone can play at 60, then we would gladly do so. End of discussion.

As for the rollback netcode, that really wouldn't work in our game. As GPD noted, the artifacts would be pretty noticeable, and totally ruin the flow of the fight. Even if it fixed some of the lag players see, it would make the experience so much worse.

Imagine if you and your opponent both swing and you get a KO and start running around the ring, only to suddenly be blacked out on the ground 5 seconds later with the other guy on top of you. Terrible gameplay experience. This behavior is something you notice all the time in large shooters, such as being shot behind walls or being killed by someone you thought you shot, etc. This isn't so bad when you can easily respawn and run back into the frey, but a 1v1 competition is not possible like this.

As a final note, please don't come out and say that one of the devs doesn't know about the workings of the game that we've spent years working on, and that you do. GPD may have lead the efforts in grappling for UFC 2, but he is also the lead of the entire gameplay team. Even if he's not directly involved in every change that happens, he knows about pretty much every gameplay feature we have, and has to review most of the work that goes into the game.

We are a team that all work together.

PS: Yes the physics is very much real-time and the consequences of every strike are determined by it.

1) About 60 fps - the solution:
Tecmo did it in Nioh game on PS4 - they gave us an option 720p60fps or 1080p30fps which user can select/switch in settings as he want.
GPD said that you have 720p60fps build of the game and (which we have) 1080 30 fps build of the game - he said that yr QA team tested both.
Give us this option TO SWITCH at least. Lets the player itself to decide what he want, especially when you already have 2 builds of the game.

Check this please:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...p60-you-decide

2) About roll back (GGPO) netcode:
i was talking about rollback elements in synchronised netcode - i.e. not full implement rollback netcode but for some fast reaction elemens w/o physics for ex Ground dynamic grappling.
I other words:
Standing striking - synchronized net code
Grappling - rollback netcode elements.

Last edited by SUGATA; 09-06-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:32 PM   #18
Rookie

JustBlazeM8's Arena

Gimme a 'hell yeah' if you like netcodes!
Old 09-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #19
Rookie

Question regarding lag: is there a way to see what my Xbox is receiving in terms of great or moderate connection? Last night there was terrible lag and my opponent blamed me for it. I did a speed test and I was at 20mbs -- should be enough, right? If I have enough speed, my ping should be fast, right?
Old 09-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #20
Rookie

I don't know how to fix lag. But i would say matchmaking and net code could be improved. It s just not fun to go online and suffer there. Displayed info about latency, ping etc can help too. Another issue physics used doesn't allow realistic counters and striking to happen in many cases. This leads to abuse of certain combos n play style in higher div and it doesn't look like UFC at all, also no fun
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »