Home

NEW Stand-up STRIKING mechanics for EA UFC 3 (concept, ideas, discussions)

This is a discussion on NEW Stand-up STRIKING mechanics for EA UFC 3 (concept, ideas, discussions) within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #73
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NEW Stand-up STRIKING mechanics for EA UFC 3 (concept, ideas, discussions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AydinDubstep
Please add in more animations, in particular, sloppy techniques. This will really add to the feel of crappy strikers or crappy wrestlers.

Here are some ideas for technically sloppy techniques:
- Dropping the other hand when striking
- Greater windup or telegraphing by pulling the strike before sending it out
- Over extending or leaning towards the opponent on some shots
- Not turning the hip on certain kicks
- Not turning the hip or shoulders on certain punches
- Not following a straight line on straight shots
- (don't know that much so can't comment)

These will hopefully give the fighters some tendencies by default - the sort of stuff Jack Slack and others pick up on when critiquing fights.

If you guys go for a momentum based approach for striking damage, I think this will go hand in hand with it. It'll make fighters who are sloppy still dangerous, as they could connect at the right time but a more technical fighter should be able to pick them apart by studying their faults and exploiting them... until they get H-Bombed.

The following would take priority before this though as I think they're more important:

- Takedown rework with a struggle phase added in similar to UFC 3 & timing a greater factor.
- Kick catch options like in UFC 3 where you have to figure out what your opponent is going for.
- Takedowns near the cage should initiate cage work. As a striker, I should fear being near the cage as even a defended takedown could result on my back being on the cage.

- Stamina system completely reworked to match a more Fight Night Champion style, where you can't just gas and instantly recover, more about the long term stamina over the rounds.
- Fatigue system affecting stats & move levels, deterioration over the fight if you're getting busted up or getting too tired.

- Parry system rework
- No more parry freezes when parrying punches i.e parrying a punch doesn't freeze the opponent.
- Parrying a kick to the body should push a kick to the side if you're at the edge of range. If you're close range, it should catch the kick.
- Parrying a kick to the head should be a glorified block and in some cases a kick catch, so it's tidier.
- Parry shouldn't move your character out of the way, that should be all dependent on footwork and the leaning system.

- Leaning system needs to be slightly faster. At the moment, it feels like I have to predict a shot and lean in advance rather than see a shot coming and move out of the way.
- Strike cancels need to be added.
- Spin attacks need to drain long term stamina.

- Leg kicks need to cause long term limp and affect spin attacks, making them less useful as the fight goes on.
- Leg kick TKOs need to return for fighters who have hard leg kicks like Aldo. Should be difficult to pull off but still an option.

- Sweat over the fight should make submissions harder.
- GNP damage should be tweaked(?)

- Rocked state should have debuffs afterwards affecting everything for a random amount of time or depending on the fighter.
- Fighters should have ways to defend themselves when rocked on the ground.
- Block should have damage bleed through with visible damage on arms.
- Arms should be breakable by vicious kicks, thai style. So someone who blocks too much against a high level kicker should be in serious trouble.
- Block should build up wear & tear if a fighter gets hit a lot over the fight causing stat decay.
- Block should have bleed through and combinations should get through as they did on Fight Night.

- Running mechanic forward.
- Takedown chase mechanic, where your fighter stays low and can follow the opponent for a greater distance.

- Sliders of course.
- Universe mode.
- More CAF slots.
- More arenas or rules.

Edit: Just some suggestions, obviously not everything will result in a fun game but see what can be used and try it. Thanks for reading.

Awsome post.

Some more additions:

-Whenever an opponent wants to quit mid-fight, force him to tap by clicking the "surrender" option before the Quit option appears. This way it will make it more immersive, by forcing the opponent to tap if he is on the ground on any position or verbaly tap on the stand-up by complaining to the ref or something. And the stats will process accordingly.(When you are ground and pounding him, the win will register as a TKO,when submitting as a submission, when stand-up striking if he is about to get Knocked out,by the time he clicks surrender and quit, you should be able to have locked a KO and so on so forth.)

-Referee variety in refereeing style. (Some referees will stand up people faster if not much action is going on than others,Some people will pass out on submissions more often due to some referees delaying the stand-up, some others will let you ground and pound a KO'ed opponent more than others before interupting and ending the fight.Also deducting points for too many referee interfered get-ups or too much stalling from specific submissions or from clinch/takedown spam should be a part of the game)

-In online modes where random people conect to each other instead of friends who have an aranged game, stuff like Cutscenes and entrances should be skippable by only 1 player and only allow a full cutscene break on the 2nd round of a 3 round fight or on the 2nd and 4th round of a 5 round fight, to avoid griefing and trolls who just leave those on to piss off people.

-The thing you said about striking having sloppy techniques, i suggested something simillar and i also added this to the idea: Specific Strike Combination Bonuses,For Example: lvl 5 jab combined with a lvl 3 or higher heavy straight, it shouldn't just improve the speed/damage/stamina modifiers. It should also add unique abilities/animations such as this "When throwing a jab your fighter has an 90% chance to automatically duck an incoming straight/hook."
That is to add some unique feeling to each fighter and make each of them stand out more.

-Change the Fighter Select screen, into a block selecting screen, to find fighters easier and faster instead of wasting time on the current laggy menu.

-Allow People to costumize their own menu. Have 2-3 menu layouts(1 with 1-2 options showing per page, one with 4-5 options per page etc.) and let everyone choose how they want their menu layout to be on their preferance.

-Add Hall of Famers on their Prime. (For example have a current experienced Anderson Silva in his 40s and have a prime Anderson SIlva in his 30s or a Shogun Rua or a Machida etc.) This would balance each weight class so much better and we would have much more fighters to compete vs Jon Jones and it wouldn't be a Jones Fest in LH in ranked.

-Rank should be the last factor in a casual quick match game,Ping First. That mode's matchmaking should focus on finding you the best ping for the best experience with the best case on lag/delay, then find people based on their skill. If someone is bored to own noobs or someone is bored to be owned by veterans, they should have a matchmaking option to block people on specific divisions on those modes.

- Standing TKO's and ref stopping the fight when someone is knocked down multiple times(depending on the ref) the fight should be stopped.

-Strike combinations should break opponent's block instead of that stun mechanic. For example a Hook+ Uppercat on someone who is holding High Block and doing nothing else, the uppercat should go through the block after a hook or the other way around. And other combos like that. They should cancel block, just like a failed Parry currently does in EA UFC 2.

-Ground game needs to be reworked and have more Leg Locks and other techniques that allow submissive fighters to hold on to their opponent for the ref to stand them up. Don't have transition mashing be the way the ground game is dictated. When on Full Mount, transitioning to the half guard shouldn't be as easy as it is now. Techniques such as turning around on your back or hugging your opponents lower back and pushing your face on his chest as he attempts to posture up, should be a more common defensive mechanism until you tire him out or get stood up. Make the ground game a bit more realistic rather than a puzzle game system that it currently is based solely on timing(which is pretty bad when you combine it with online delay)
Also you need to allow ground game Head Movement, Silva is a god in this. The ammount of times he has been mounted yet he kept moving his head and arm trapping people thanks to it is too damn high

-Allow Striking during Submissions to fasten up the gates or give the submitted fighter a chance to reverse the submission into a previous phase and Arm Traps during those submissions to allow the submitted fighter to instatly escape. (For example Anderson Silva Elbowing an opponent while having locked a triangle to make him tap from the pain or Nate Diaz punching Mac Gregor's face to lock in the rear naked choke easier,(A good arm trap on an opponent striking during submissions,should trigger an animation such as Rampage Jackson Standing up and Slamming the opponent on the pride days when he got armbared by Sakuraba)

-Clinch Reversals When someone is going for the mauy thai clinch near the cage, he shouldn't be just worried of getting stuffed on his attempt. He should also worry about someone reversing the position on a 180 spin and sending him to a submissive position. There is also a mauy thai clinch reversal where you can instalty trip your opponent down.

- Head movement and good defense and parrying should be also rewarded by random events such as causing your opponent to get disoriented and trip and even sometimes fall( Such as the Chael Sonnen spinning fist against the cage against anderson silva II, where chael tripped after silva ducked his spinning fist,then Silva Kneed him to the chest on the ground.)

- Betwen the cage/stand-up corner ground and pound scenarios (Such as Silva vs Sonnen II after silva made sonnen fall from a failed spinnin kick, silva kneed his chest then finished him with ground and pound,Connor Mc Gregor Finishing Chad Mendes while holding on to the cage with his left hand and ground and pounding him with his right hand)

- Getting your leg kicked while attempting a kick shouldnt drop you down like a criple skater failing a 360 mid-air spin and you should be able to instantly recover from it most of the times, instead of easily inviting a ground game scenario

- Most Importantly Add Submission Reversals and Armbar/Kimura/Limb Submission bones popping/breaking like this awsome fight: https://streamable.com/0k96

Last edited by manliest_Man; 07-17-2016 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:41 AM   #74
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

I don't know if this has been discussed but I would strikes to get cancelled if you get hit stunned.

Frequently it seems I throw a strike right as opponent throws a strike and I get hit stun animation. It seems as if that strike goes into cue and it gets thrown at end of hit stun animation. Normally when I get hit stunned I don't want to throw the strike I threw just before the animation.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:33 AM   #75
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
I don't know if this has been discussed but I would strikes to get cancelled if you get hit stunned.

Frequently it seems I throw a strike right as opponent throws a strike and I get hit stun animation. It seems as if that strike goes into cue and it gets thrown at end of hit stun animation. Normally when I get hit stunned I don't want to throw the strike I threw just before the animation.
I agree with part of this. I wish the strike that lands first didn't cancel the opponents strike, because that isn't what happens IRL. Instead your strike should still come off, however, based on the strike and distance it should simply redirect the strike (example would be you throw a cross but your opponents jab lands just before -- rather than cancel with some asinine hit stun, your cross should be redirected slightly higher and likely miss or maybe land atop the head causing little damage).

Why I disagree, and please feel free to tell me you hate my line of thinking? I don't like hit stuns. They take from realism and fluidity. I like the idea of constant action, and a punches trajectory being altered by getting hit first is real, and offers you the chance to quickly pivot (or whatever you like to do) and exploit the fact that they're likely - or should be - off balance. Things like this can be endless but not frustrating like the stupid stuns that don't really happen
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2016, 03:47 AM   #76
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by manliest_Man
Awsome post.

Some more additions:

-Whenever an opponent wants to quit mid-fight, force him to tap by clicking the "surrender" option before the Quit option appears. This way it will make it more immersive, by forcing the opponent to tap if he is on the ground on any position or verbaly tap on the stand-up by complaining to the ref or something. And the stats will process accordingly.(When you are ground and pounding him, the win will register as a TKO,when submitting as a submission, when stand-up striking if he is about to get Knocked out,by the time he clicks surrender and quit, you should be able to have locked a KO and so on so forth.)

-Referee variety in refereeing style. (Some referees will stand up people faster if not much action is going on than others,Some people will pass out on submissions more often due to some referees delaying the stand-up, some others will let you ground and pound a KO'ed opponent more than others before interupting and ending the fight.Also deducting points for too many referee interfered get-ups or too much stalling from specific submissions or from clinch/takedown spam should be a part of the game)

-In online modes where random people conect to each other instead of friends who have an aranged game, stuff like Cutscenes and entrances should be skippable by only 1 player and only allow a full cutscene break on the 2nd round of a 3 round fight or on the 2nd and 4th round of a 5 round fight, to avoid griefing and trolls who just leave those on to piss off people.

-The thing you said about striking having sloppy techniques, i suggested something simillar and i also added this to the idea: Specific Strike Combination Bonuses,For Example: lvl 5 jab combined with a lvl 3 or higher heavy straight, it shouldn't just improve the speed/damage/stamina modifiers. It should also add unique abilities/animations such as this "When throwing a jab your fighter has an 90% chance to automatically duck an incoming straight/hook."
That is to add some unique feeling to each fighter and make each of them stand out more.

-Change the Fighter Select screen, into a block selecting screen, to find fighters easier and faster instead of wasting time on the current laggy menu.

-Allow People to costumize their own menu. Have 2-3 menu layouts(1 with 1-2 options showing per page, one with 4-5 options per page etc.) and let everyone choose how they want their menu layout to be on their preferance.

-Add Hall of Famers on their Prime. (For example have a current experienced Anderson Silva in his 40s and have a prime Anderson SIlva in his 30s or a Shogun Rua or a Machida etc.) This would balance each weight class so much better and we would have much more fighters to compete vs Jon Jones and it wouldn't be a Jones Fest in LH in ranked.

-Rank should be the last factor in a casual quick match game,Ping First. That mode's matchmaking should focus on finding you the best ping for the best experience with the best case on lag/delay, then find people based on their skill. If someone is bored to own noobs or someone is bored to be owned by veterans, they should have a matchmaking option to block people on specific divisions on those modes.

- Standing TKO's and ref stopping the fight when someone is knocked down multiple times(depending on the ref) the fight should be stopped.

-Strike combinations should break opponent's block instead of that stun mechanic. For example a Hook+ Uppercat on someone who is holding High Block and doing nothing else, the uppercat should go through the block after a hook or the other way around. And other combos like that. They should cancel block, just like a failed Parry currently does in EA UFC 2.

-Ground game needs to be reworked and have more Leg Locks and other techniques that allow submissive fighters to hold on to their opponent for the ref to stand them up. Don't have transition mashing be the way the ground game is dictated. When on Full Mount, transitioning to the half guard shouldn't be as easy as it is now. Techniques such as turning around on your back or hugging your opponents lower back and pushing your face on his chest as he attempts to posture up, should be a more common defensive mechanism until you tire him out or get stood up. Make the ground game a bit more realistic rather than a puzzle game system that it currently is based solely on timing(which is pretty bad when you combine it with online delay)
Also you need to allow ground game Head Movement, Silva is a god in this. The ammount of times he has been mounted yet he kept moving his head and arm trapping people thanks to it is too damn high

-Allow Striking during Submissions to fasten up the gates or give the submitted fighter a chance to reverse the submission into a previous phase and Arm Traps during those submissions to allow the submitted fighter to instatly escape. (For example Anderson Silva Elbowing an opponent while having locked a triangle to make him tap from the pain or Nate Diaz punching Mac Gregor's face to lock in the rear naked choke easier,(A good arm trap on an opponent striking during submissions,should trigger an animation such as Rampage Jackson Standing up and Slamming the opponent on the pride days when he got armbared by Sakuraba)

-Clinch Reversals When someone is going for the mauy thai clinch near the cage, he shouldn't be just worried of getting stuffed on his attempt. He should also worry about someone reversing the position on a 180 spin and sending him to a submissive position. There is also a mauy thai clinch reversal where you can instalty trip your opponent down.

- Head movement and good defense and parrying should be also rewarded by random events such as causing your opponent to get disoriented and trip and even sometimes fall( Such as the Chael Sonnen spinning fist against the cage against anderson silva II, where chael tripped after silva ducked his spinning fist,then Silva Kneed him to the chest on the ground.)

- Betwen the cage/stand-up corner ground and pound scenarios (Such as Silva vs Sonnen II after silva made sonnen fall from a failed spinnin kick, silva kneed his chest then finished him with ground and pound,Connor Mc Gregor Finishing Chad Mendes while holding on to the cage with his left hand and ground and pounding him with his right hand)

- Getting your leg kicked while attempting a kick shouldnt drop you down like a criple skater failing a 360 mid-air spin and you should be able to instantly recover from it most of the times, instead of easily inviting a ground game scenario

- Most Importantly Add Submission Reversals and Armbar/Kimura/Limb Submission bones popping/breaking like this awsome fight: https://streamable.com/0k96
I agree with almost all of this with two exceptions that stand out to me:
1.) I hate the idea of ref standups (in a game or real life). Holding someone from a bottom position is stalling, and somehow refs - over the years - have listened to the redneck crowds and stood up fighters. If you want it in the game then I can only agree with it from closed guard; any other position is advantageous enough and should not be asked by the ref to work. And more to the nature of the sport, it is the responsibility of the submissive fighter to get out, it's a fight, so don't do bs tactics to engage the idiot ref. This whole stand up thing has had a monumentally disastrous unintended consequence in which fighters now use holding and other stall tactics from bad positions looking for a stand up. When you really think about it, that makes no sense... A lot of that is just my real life thoughts on how this sport has evolved over the last 25 years, it isn't to put down your viewpoint, which I respect

2.) Totally disagree with ref intervention on stopping a fight based purely on the number of times you get knocked down. You are either okay to continue or you aren't. This is why they took out the 3 knockdown rule in boxing. It doesn't really make sense. And even if i did agree, it creates a game of semantics about what counts as a knockdown.

I otherwise largely like where you're going with other ideas. Good work and thanks for the time putting all of that together
Old 07-17-2016, 07:01 AM   #77
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

I want to add some video explanation of defensive (DSS) and offensive (OSS) side step mechanics in concept.

This video is taken from Virtua Fighter 5 final showdown tutorial, how to implement this side step system in EA UFC with realism i wrote above in 11), 12).

Legends:
OM - offensive move (OSS)
DM - defensive move (DSS)
ST - side turned
G - guard block

Timing:
3:40 – DM
4:00 – OM
32:00 – Failed DM
33:00 – Cancel Failed DM
34:00 – Successful DM
35:40 – Anti DM: Full-circular attacks (is CH)
36:15 – Anti DM: Half-circular attacks (is CH)
38:30 – Getting hit during DM is CH.
39:00 – Anti DM: Delayed attack (is not CH)
40:00 – Anti DM: Throws
41:40 – OM
1:53:00 – Side Guard (SG) and Side-Turned Guard (STG). How to go to the opponent’s side:
1:53:15 – 1. by attack him from behind (6F for him to turning, then STG)
1:53:25 – 2. by successful DM > then immediately (by buffering) attack (even slow attack).
1:54:10 – 3. by OM > then immediately (by buffering) attack (even slow attack).
1:54:40 – I get +3F more advantage from hit to ST opponent.
1:55:25 – I get +3F more advantage from Guard my attack by ST opponent.
1:55:40 – The side frame bonus advantage is determined by the base damage of the attack! Base damage 14 or less = +2 (P and 2P has +2F (not 3F) on ST opponent); Base damage 15 - 24 = +3; Base damage 25 or more = +6.
1:56:25 – STACKING opponent IN STG: Continue striking opponent in STG – he will be stacked in STG (Opponent needs 12F to turning into face Guard): [considering-summering my frame advantage status] IF i hit him at 1-12F (my exe is 1-12F) – he will STG; IF i hit him (me exe is) at 13th or more frame – he will face Guard.
1:57:40 – STG opponent can not to switch High/Low Guard against SOME Strings (Series), but can against Normal strikes.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:00 PM   #78
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Do you know what is the most frustrating thing now in Strand up Striking in EA UFC 1-2? - RANDOMNESS!

Because we dont have Hit stun at all after first 1--3 strikes and at the same time we have strike interruption from hit on its initial state.

Explanation:
1P perform a combo:
1P starts Jab, which is clear landed (clear hit, not blocked) on 2P > then 1P starts Straight with clear hit too > then 1P launches his 3rd powerful strike... but 2P immediately after getting 2nd hit launches his strike, and as he dont have Hit stun his strike launches w/o hit stun delay, i.e. during 1P 2nd strike recovery phase (hand is coming back to initial state and ready fr 3rd strike) > 1P launches his 3rd strike, but at this moment 2P's strike hits him and crushes (interrupt) his 3rd strike causing interrupt stun and breaking 1P successful series...
I in other words, i can not to plan my series, setups because of unpredictable crushing.
In EA UFC 1-2 ONLY FBHR (full body hit reaction) causes real Hit stun during which the opponent can not launch a strikem but FBHR is caused only by huge damage (on 3rd+ strike boosted by CM, Counter window, etc).
Result: stand up striking in EA UFC 1-2 = closing in w hoping for luck in not crushed series until FBHR = randomness, no depth and strategy!

How it should be:

2P get Hit stun (strike disadvantage) - i.e. his strike will be delayed because of it > but he could to block immediately to regain Striking advantage > 2P block 1P strike so 2P strike will be launched earlier.
I.e. 2P when getting hits must to think about defense not about striking! In EA UFC 2P starts his strike - and get success by crushing opponent's fast strikes, nonsense!

This is a striking mechanics fault.
On my successful combo opponent's strike launches earlier than mine 2nd or 3 rd ( and interrupts mine) because he does not get hit stun but my successful strike going back (recovery phase) so my follow up strike launches later.
There are must to be Hit stun for ALL strikes always ( hit stun duration depends on strike total dmg)!
The main option for the opponent after he got hit must to be a DEFENSE (by block or more advanced Parry, Sway, Dodge, Side step) BUT NOT striking in response!! He is in disadvantage after getting hit!
This is the BASIS of any real striking game! And this is THE MAIN FAULT of EA UFC2 striking game. Strike interruption by other strike (stopping power) is useless w/o Hit stuns - we have interrupts but don't have Hit stuns = RANDOM!

Last edited by SUGATA; 08-25-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:18 AM   #79
Rookie

TheSouthpaw's Arena

Excellent post Sugata! Not only was it a well thought out, well written post with cool ideas but it was able to get the attention of the devs and community alike. Hopefully these ideas get implemented into EA UFC 3.

More Striking Ideas For EA UFC 3

1.) Accounting for Range

The striking meta would be revolutionized by putting an emphasis on landing the right strike at the right distance. Each strike has an optimal distance/trajectory in which it lands for maximum damage.

Let's use my favorite strike (the left straight) as an example, if I'm too close and my arm is bent when I connect, I won't generate nearly as much force as if I'm at a distance where my arm can straighten and my knuckles twist into my target. Of course there are exceptions like a spinning back kick which is pretty dangerous at a variety of ranges, but most strikes have a sweet spot in which it's most effective.

If this is currently in the game it is no where near as noticeable as it should be.
This additional logic could solve so many of the problems the striking meta currently has:

(A.) Shorter fighters won't be at such a major disadvantage in the striking meta as they currently are because once they get inside on the taller fighter they'll have an advantage.

(B.) Improved logic for hit stuns/knockdowns/ko's

(C.) Single strikes become much more effective without the randomness. Now the meta can become less combo dependent because precision/accuracy/timing is just as important. As you know not everyone is a volume striker in the UFC, let's give AJ, Woodley, Hendo, Lombard, Romero, etc. a viable way to employ their style of striking.

2.) Variety of Animations

This is pretty unanimous request from the community. More animations would go a long way in regards to fighter uniqueness.

Having different styles of jabs, straights, hooks, etc. (Think punch styles in FNC)

Also have lesser strikers would have more stiff and sloppy strike animations while elite strikers have more crisp, fluid animations

3.) Strike Cancels

This is a must.
It's a pretty simple idea too. Any strike can be cancelled during startup by hitting either high or low block. However, once you reach a certain point in the startup you can't cancel anymore. This also requires a much lower degree of execution than feints currently do.

It would be nice if just tapping really fast block allowed you to strike cancel and follow-up with another strike without a block animation happening in between. (If that's even possible). This would allow for fluid combos employing both strikes and feints.

4.) Fluidity Between Striking & Grappling

The aim should be to have clinch attempts and takedown attempts mesh so well with strikes that they feel almost like they're a part of the combo. This would be a huge improvement in the feel of the stand-up.

5.) Parries

Eliminate the freeze, meaning:
P1 throws a jab-cross > P2 parries the jab > P1's cross will still connect if it isn't defended.

Now parrying takes real skill because the follow up strikes don't just go away. You have to anticipate your opponent's actions and react appropriately.

6.) Kick/Punch Catches

Most of the parries for kicks I would like to see replaced with a catch animations. But if you want to keep the parry animations in, there is an alternative:

R1+RS(Up) Catches any head strike
R2+RS(Up) Catches any body/leg strike

Catches should be possible at any time but fairly hard to do
But much easier when the opponent's stamina is low. This will help punish kick spammers.

7.) Canon of Combos

This is tricky to explain but I'll try my best.

So many people use combos that you would almost never see in real life to devastating effect in this game. Stuff like 4 or 5 uppercuts in a row, 4 or 5 body hooks in a row, etc. How can players be made weary of using these kinds of cheesy combos?

Well what if a few seasoned strikers met with the devs and came up with a list of realistic/acceptable combinations. These combinations would have the speed, fluidity and the damage bonus that combos currently have. However, combinations outside of this canon would not have nearly the same speed and fluidity, wouldn't get the combo multiplier bonus, and would use more stamina too.

This could really be a game changer for eliminating cheese.

8.) Spinning Kicks

Nerf the tracking on spinning heel kicks, capoeira kicks, tornado kicks, etc.

It should take serious precision to land cleanly. Defenders should be able to crowd these kicks as well. The only kicks that shouldn't be nerfed for tracking is the spinning side and spinning back kicks because they are sometimes used to get someone to circle in the other direction.

9.) Leg Kicks

Damage to kicker if kick is checked.
Damage to kicker if their foot hits the opponent's knee.
Replace fall caused by kicking one-legged fighter with a stumble.
If leg is too damaged kicks are weakened and cause minor damage to kicker.
Buff damage.

10.) Teeps

Buff push back from teep
Teep should shut down most opponent's kicks if it connects in startup frames
Rare chance of knocking one-legged opponent down

11.) Roundhouse Kicks

Nerf lead high kick speed
Buff stamina drain
Buff damage

When used by strong kickers:
Should have major strike priority
Should wear the arms down if blocked
Should have a chance to rock through block

12.) Movement Speed Modifier

Eventually this has to be addressed, dashing and backpedaling are as much a part of the sport as a jab. Fighters explode into combinations and fighters backpedal away from strikes all the time. This is where a speed movement modifier comes into play.

By clicking in the left stick your fighter will now move quickly in any direction. Run forward, backpedal backwards and shuffle laterally.

When in this mode you can also karate blitz with punches however you take increased damage from counters in this mode and burn through stamina as well.

Being able to close distance explosively is a missing feature in this game and would be an excellent addition.

13.) Accounting for Explosiveness

This is another area of the striking meta that could use improvement. Trying to simulate guys like Romero or Woodley without replicating their explosiveness is a major oversight.

Sure you can give them the heavy hands ability and the max power stats, but how good is that really if they can barely ever reach there opponent before there opponent reaches them? Part of what makes a guy like Woodley dangerous is that he excels at closing the distance, he can be well outside the taller man's reach but still close the gap and do damage and clinch before the taller man can begin to mount an offensive.

14.) Finishing The Fight

Now with ability to close distance quickly there's just a few more things to add to get TKOs right.

Change stamina properties during health events
Example:
P1 rocks P2 > P1 stamina will go down after a much slower rate while P2 is rocked but endurance will continue to go down normally > This gives P1 the option to aggressively hunt for the finish but has to weigh the risk of being at a cardio disadvantage if P2 recovers.

Smooth out the transition from standing to striking a knocked down opponent

Have the referee actually get in between the fighters and stop the fight. Maybe even add animations of hurt fighter trying to wrestle the referee after the fight is waived off.

Standing TKOs

Conclusion

Hope this helped, if anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to elaborate. Let me know what you guys think.

*Disclaimer I'm a novice striker irl and not anything special in the game. So if there is something technical I missed please correct me.

Last edited by TheSouthpaw; 08-26-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #80
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcelts
After landing a strike especially kicks if you input block it takes too long to respond. The block animation is too slow and it seems like your opponent can get a free strike. Does anyone else think this? I also think more strikes are not registering. I land a lot of kicks that don't register. Really frustrating. Is it possible to fix this in a patch?
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...scussions.html

Every strike consists from 3 follow up stages:
1. startup
2. hit phase
3. recovery phase - yr leg returns back after hit
You can not to Block during all 3 phases until ends of recovery phase.
Animations of some kicks are very long, so be careful

The main problem of the game now - is that even after getting Hit (w/o Full body hit reaction i.e. "hit stun") an opponent can launch his strike IMMEDIATELY and this strike will be GUARANTEED because it lands during yr recovery phase when yr are helpless.
This is the terrible ISSUE of the current striking mechanics, which must ti be fixed in EA UFC 3.

> If you successfully land ANY strike you NEVER can not be getting hit during this your strike Recovery phase. This is the rule!

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »