Home

BLOCK mechanics and How to BREAK BLOCK

This is a discussion on BLOCK mechanics and How to BREAK BLOCK within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

OVR: 0
BLOCK mechanics and How to BREAK BLOCK

Many guys here are complaining about unbalanced unbreakable block - they are wrong, because they dont understand Block mechanics in EA UFC 2.
I like it in EA UFC 2 and the Block is good now.
I will explain.

When you make a strike by your left hand for example - you land a hit (damage) to opponent's right blocking hand and ONLY to it, his left hand does not recieve any damage.
The same for opposite side.
Block is loosing its effectiveness (and damage foes through it) when ONE his blocking hand get massive damage, not both. When it gets critical damage (strong red) his Block is broken and his bodey/head is open for yr strikes.
So, your target is to deal max damage in min time to ONE his blocking hand. NOT on his BOTH hands (to decrease twice your damage on one hand).
The worst way for this - is to combos to his blocking hands. As the most of you are doing.

The best strategy is to land 1-2 strikes to his open body to gain Combo multiplier and then perform the last the most powerful strike (L1) to his the most damaged hand.
From reset position enough 2 strikes landed to his 100% healthy hand to break his block.

Last edited by SUGATA; 07-05-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Re: BLOCK mechanics and How to BREAK IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGATA
Many guys here are complaining about unbalanced unbreakable block - they are wrong, because they dont understand Block mechanics in EA UFC 2.
I will explain.

When you make a strike by your left hand for example - you land a hit (damage) to opponent's right blocking hand and ONLY to it, his left hand does not recieve any damage.
Block is loosing its effectiveness (and damage foes through it) when ONE his blocking hand get massive damage, not both. When it gets critical damage (strong red) his Block is broken and his bodey/head is open for yr strikes.
So, your target is to deal max damage in min time to ONE his blocking hand. NOT on his BOTH hands (to decrease twice your damage on one hand).
The worst way for this - is to combos to his blocking hands. As the most of you are doing.

The best strategy is to land 1-2 strikes to his open body to gain Combo multiplier and then perform the last the most powerful strike (L1) to his the most damaged hand.
From reset position enough 2 strikes landed to his 100% healthy hand to break his block.

Looks simple enough

but try doing what was done in that video when the other guy is a top 100 fighter throwing massive combos at you and get back to me ---- lol

I definitely know where you're coming from and definitely agree that focusing on one side vs. another *would* be a good strategy *if* there was more bleedthru and/or the limbs became red about 20-30% more quickly.

But it's almost impossible to break down the guard of someone who is actually good at the game --- without totally blowing your stamina
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Old 07-05-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler569
Looks simple enough

but try doing what was done in that video when the other guy is a top 100 fighter throwing massive combos at you and get back to me ---- lol

I definitely know where you're coming from and definitely agree that focusing on one side vs. another *would* be a good strategy *if* there was more bleedthru and/or the limbs became red about 20-30% more quickly.

But it's almost impossible to break down the guard of someone who is actually good at the game --- without totally blowing your stamina
As opponent's hand receives more and more damage during the fight - its recovery becomes more and more slower. So to Block break it becomes easier and easier with time (more cumulative damage received).

Last edited by SUGATA; 07-05-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

I think it's a good strategy for sure especially ending the combo multiplier on the same side of the hand

I just think it's not very practical at this point; but if they reduced the power of block by 20%, or included a slight bleed-thru --- where your head starts to absorb some damage once your arm is down to 75% health or lower --- we would be in good shape.

If they can just tone down the strength of block a bit; and/or increase bleed-thru damage; and/or increase how quickly your arm turns red; we'd be set and your strategy would be great

but til then I just don't think it's very practical to use against Top 100 level opponents
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Old 07-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

This is an evolution of the current Blocking mechanics for UFC 3:

OFFENSIVE SIDE STEP (OSS) will become a toll to Block break in UFC 3! OSS will give you a huge advantage from being on opponent's side and ALL (!) your strikes (left or right) are landed on the same on ONE opponent's hand increasing the damage it recieved!
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...scussions.html

2 types of SIDE STEPS:
EA UFC 2 has 2 types of Side steps (LS click and with L1) which are not too different in usage.
This Striking concept will bring 2 absolutely different side steps:

1. DEFENSIVE SIDE STEP (DSS):
Click LS up/down
- will have a bit wider range that we have now
- has evasive properties against linear and half circular attacks if stepped in right direction away from the strike (check opponent’s foot position = skill).
- after well timed DSS opponent’s strike whiffed > I have SA for punish
- failed DSS (mistimed) has shorter range and animation , may be another sound (for checking)
- I think devs needs to remove Stamina level effect on DSS (lower stamina = slower DSS) to make it more stable (we have stamina depending strikes – this is enough)
Anti DSS:
- delayed strike to break his DSS timing (when evasive phase of DSS is gone)
- full circular and appropriate half circular strikes
- all grappling moves (Clinch, TD).
Effect from getting hit on failed DSS:
- increased dmg bonus as a Major counter = more hit stun.
Conditions: negative SA (to evade attacks).

2. OFFENSIVE SIDE STEP (OSS):
Click LS up/down + L1
- will have a bit another animation and sound (for checking), wider range
- has NOT any evasive properties at all! All strikes and Grappling moves are hitting OSS and causing Major counter
- but if the opponent is not making strikes/Grappling moves (Clinch, TD), is moving or stand still or stand Blocking – I will be on his Side after OSS (I will get Side step situation and all advantages from it), so OSS is a perfect anti Turtle tool (against players who back pedal with blocking). And bring more depth and difference into Striking stand up, also will bring truly 3D fighting.
- I think devs needs to remove Stamina level effect on OSS (lower Stamina = slower OSS) to make it more stable (we have stamina depending strikes – this is enough).
Conditions to OSS: neutral or positive SA (to increase SA and solve Turtling fighters. For ex after gaining some SA (by hit, opponent whiff naturally not by DSS, after blocking his strike) i perform OSS to increase my SA and to get opportunity to Block break go to defense opponent.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2016, 11:57 PM   #6
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Re: BLOCK mechanics and How to BREAK BLOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGATA
I will explain.

I disagree, by a lot. I don't think block is unbreakable but it is crazy. Turtling arms in front of face rarely happens in the UFC. Just recently I think Florian was calling a fight talking about how bad it is when a fighter is blocking like "combing hair". Holding your hands up like that will get your arms broken with a good kick. You certainly can't see will with forearms in front of your face. I have posted GIFs here before of fighters getting destroyed quickly holding their hands in front of their face.

This is just my, but the multiplier system is crazy. Doing one or two body body strikes and then a power shot to one arm just seems goofy.

Wether or not block is breakable or anything else, at the very least the animation for high block is completely wrong in my opinion, for the reasons i stated in first paragraph.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #7
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

The most strange thing here is that no one ask about how to recover Block faster).... There are factors that decrease Block recovering (changing his color from deep red).

I will post now a copy-past from my notes, so excuse me for may be not much adapted text but may be it will be helpful for anybody:

3) BLOCK (High block HB, Low block LB):
Stamina cost: no
Depends on:
- Hand health: Hand health (less Hand health (more red) = more damage passed through the Block)
- Fighter stats (Blocking, Toughness)
- Stamina: no effect.

- Block becomes active (come up) INSTANTLY after input (R1/R2). More damaged (red) Hands = less effective Block (animated by lower/loosely hands position in active Block).
But it takes 10 frames to switch from another active Block (10 frames delay for another Block to become active).
[When opponent is holding High Block] Strike to Body; {When opponent is holding Low block) Strike to Head - (because he will have 10 frames delay for switching to another Block level).
Do NOT hold Block for long or all the time (50% slower Moving, 50% slower Stamina regeneration, 10 frames delay to switch Block level).
Try to (click and holding during hit phase duration) Block [just after opponent’s Strike begins] > [after hit phase] release Block.
- Block efficiency depends: on the damage level (more red) of the ONE most damaged Hand; no matter L or R, no matter Total damage of both hands. The most damaged hand becomes more red = Block becomes less effective.
- Legs health does NOT affect on Leg check efficiency.
Use Strikes which hits the most damaged Hand - for more sooner Block break!
Use Strikes which hits the most damaged Leg - for reducing his Moving speed!
- no difference in Block activation between different Weight classes (Block always becomes active immediately after R1/R2 input)
- those Hand takes damage while blocking which are on the side of incoming opponent’s Strike (Left hand when opponent’s strike is incoming from the left side); forehand/backhand – does not matter, so Switch stance does not effect.
- can be performed on ALL distances
- can be performed w/o Stamina (0%)
- not drain Stamina
- not dependent from duration time of holding it – no effect on it from time
- active Block (R1/R2) always slow down Stamina regeneration by 50% in all positions and all actions (Stand up, Clinch, Ground)
- active Block slow down Moving speed in any direction by 50% - ONLY for Moving; NOT for other movements (Parry, Sway, Dodge/Side step)! Better Moving W/O active Block (to prevent 50% Moving speed slow down by Block and 50% Stamina regeneration slow down by Block)!
- (!) active Block do NOT change speed and range of any Dodge/Side step in any direction! Better any Dodge/Side step WITH active Block (no Dodge/Side step speed slow down or shorter range by Block, no noticeable Stamina loss/regeneration slow down by Block)!
- Strikes on Block: Attacker – loose much Stamina depending on costs and multiplier, Defenseman – loose few Stamina from Strikes
- WRONG Block level: DO NOT get increased Health & Stamina damage, than w/o Blocking – no difference.

SWITCH BLOCK LEVEL:
High block <>Low block = Switching to another Block takes 10 frames to Block becomes active.
So, impossible to exploit (tapping) R1, R2, R1, R2 and so on – not working.
But it takes 10 frames to switch from another active Block (10 frames delay for another Block to become active).
FUZZY GUARD – vs predictable attacker’s mix-up scripts use appropriate Block against Fast strikes and then with timing switch to another Block level against another level slower strikes.
- Example: opponent is going to make Jab high or Knee, Knee is much slower – so, use R1, R2 (I will block both options: fast high Jab and slow low Knee).
- But it takes 10 frames to switch from another active Block (10 frames delay for another Block to become active). Fuzzy guard is not too good tool because of 10 frames delay – better do NOT holding Block, and activate Block [as Strike begins], w/o switching Blocks (w/o Fuzzy guard)!
- Use Fuzzy guard - vs predictable mix-up attacks which has very much different speed (has large difference in execution length)! Example: in sub MT clinch vs Head punch/Head Knee mix-ups!
- Fuzzy guard exist always (in Stand up/Clinch/Ground).
BLOCKING LIMB DAMAGE:
- Blocking too long (blocking limb is receiving damage and became more red) decreases Block efficiency (by limbs go down more and more); blocking limb more red = blocking limb go down more = strikes/damage pass thought more!
- Regain ability to Block – only when blocking limb become less red (red > pink); (may keep holding) Block, may keep moving with holding Block:
SPEED OF DAMAGE RECOVERY depends on (red > pink):
1. Fastest: (holding) any Block = Moving or Dodge (with or w/o Block) = No action at all.
2. Slower (50% slower): any Strikes by any limb (even not damaged)
When blocking limb is damaged (red) and Block is broken (to recover damaged limb faster and safer and regain Block): Do not make Strikes; Try to evade opponent’s Strikes, not to block them (by Moving, Side step, Dodge, Parry, Sway); Moving w/o Block > Advanced Side step with Block > Dodges with Block > Moving with Block.
DURING BLOCK:
- 50% slower Stamina regeneration
Old 07-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

I can't imagine throwing one strike over and over again to just break block on one side, the guy will just time you and use the godly parry to KO you.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »