Home

For the love of Humanity, We Need A Universe Mode.

This is a discussion on For the love of Humanity, We Need A Universe Mode. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #73
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: For the love of Humanity, We Need A Universe Mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallUNLIMITED
Career Mode is the most played mode by a very large margin and is consistently called out as the biggest detractor among reviews, focus groups, telemetry insights, surveys, etc.
This is depressing.

Here's the issue. Your fan base should be combat sports fans AND sports fans.

Sports fans view the sport as a whole and have thoroughly enjoyed franchise modes in other sports titles, without fail.

Career mode is the most played, but most critiqued because there isn't another option in the game and IS limited (especially for those of us who don't want to pretend we are the next Conor McGregor when in reality, we would prefer to run the whole UFC).

Also, where in the survey does it highlight that I can request a Universe Mode? Also, are we suggesting that because some people might not understand what a Universe Mode is that they wouldn't enjoy it? How many knew what Knockout Mode was or would be before it was created, and why didn't those answers prevent it from being made (because it was easy to make is likely the answer)?

If this is just going to be a fighting game then I guess we can just stash this away as a niche sport forever because mainstream is where sports fans are, and a sports fan gamers run franchises in Franchise Mode in other sports titles. They do other things also, but that is THE offline mode for us sports fan video gamers.

I LOVE the game, but I wouldn't stop playing it until the next iteration comes out if you had UNIVERSE MODE, and isn't that one of the primary focuses a developer should strive for?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by TheRizzzle; 08-09-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #74
MVP

SeaTownGamer's Arena

Quote:
Career Mode is the most played mode by a very large margin and is consistently called out as the biggest detractor among reviews, focus groups, telemetry insights, surveys, etc.
If that is true........It's because that is the only option available for us to come close to feeling immersed but that is not saying much because we are limited to other game modes that makes us feel connected to the UFC as a whole. Also I doubt it's the most played game mode by a large margin like you claim. Most played? Maybe. By a large margin? Again I doubt that.

This is how I look at it.

Career Mode with UFC, I compare it to "My Career" in NBA 2K or "Road To The Show" in MLB but that is not saying much because in fighting games it gets stale real fast compared to those games I mentioned. At least in My Career in 2K you can check what's going on around the league, stats from other players, team standings, ect. It's just a way deeper game mode compared to UFC. Here is another way to view it, when most ppl buy Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat do you think they buy it to play the story mode or do they buy it to play ranked games online? I doubt the majority buys Street Fighter mainly for the story. Street Fighter story mode might be weaker but UFC is no exception and if they don't improve it soon it will go in that direction if it hasn't already.

Universe mode on the other hand has potential to be like "Franchise Mode" in Madden or "My GM" in NBA 2K where they keep tracks of stats and records around the sport like how they do with teams and players around the league in Madden, 2K, MLB, FIFA, ect. Don't you think it's cool to see how other fighters in UFC are doing? I sure as hell do. Now imagine they make an "Online Universal Mode" sort of like online Franchise/Season/Dynasty where u can fight other users online in your universe. (which is equivalent to playing against other members in your online league in Madden, MLB, NHL or 2K) That would be epic. And just to kill two birds with one stone for people that like career mode they can just play with a single fighter they created or a real fighter (whatever they prefer) in universe mode and play it like a career mode the same way someone would when playing an offline Madden franchise and controlling a single team. That right there my brothers is what I call the winning recipe because it's a win/win situation for everybody in my honest opinion.

Last edited by SeaTownGamer; 08-10-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #75
MVP

Trillz's Arena

with a great career mode and universive mode will do wonders for ea ufc 3 offline portion as well as challenging AI that plays similar to their real life counterparts.

I wonder if SKynet and Tallunlimited are up for the challenge.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #76
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Saying that career mode is the most played mode is like saying the treadmill is the most used piece of equipment at a gym that only has a treadmill, elliptical and stationary bike. No free weights, no machines, no basketball court, no pool or anything like that. Sure those things would be fun, but let's get incline on that treadmill first.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 08-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #77
MVP

Trillz's Arena

Quote:
Its the most played because its the only offline mode, which is a lackluster mode. Having a great career mode and universode mode will do wonders for offline play.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #78
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Here is my prediction. Its all speculation and its based off of no internal info:

They will likely go the story mode route. Here are the reasons:

- EA has been hyping Frostbite and its capabilities when it comes to story modes. An example of this is FIFA's story mode.

- EA execs have been quoted as saying they would like to see similar modes in other EA Sports games.

- Some of the members of this team worked on the last combat sports game that had a story mode, Fight Night Champion.

- Its the easiest way to make a splash with a career mode and its something that reviewers would see as a huge leap from UFC2.

This is just a guess though. They could easily go the other way and add elements that EA MMA/UD3 had (Interviews, Training at different camps, fighting on non-UFC cards) etc.

My question for you guys is.....do any of these improvements make you play career mode more than once?
Old 08-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #79
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

One other thing: I'm starting to realize that gaming is moving away from the things that I want. There is no focus on long-term offline play anymore.

You have a choice of being an online player (and dealing with the exploits and the players who only play with top players) or be happy with offline modes that only offer interests for a month or two.

I appreciate the series like NBA 2k, the Show, WWE and even Madden (with its CFM changes and formation subs), that encourage long term play for offline players and are interested in having offline players play their game through its entire life cycle.

I'll say this: I think we've been patient. I think we've earned the right to complain. We've been told that the earliest we will see a universe/franchise mode is UFC 4 (assuming that is made) and given the current schedule......thats 2019-2020.

What sucks is I'll continue to support the game because MMA is my favorite sport and I'm hopeful the game will continue to improve. Maybe they will add features to custom events.

Most of us will probably do the same. We've created charts and spreadsheets and will keep on doing our thing. It just sucks that we have to do it.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #80
MVP

SeaTownGamer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Here is my prediction. Its all speculation and its based off of no internal info:

They will likely go the story mode route. Here are the reasons:

- EA has been hyping Frostbite and its capabilities when it comes to story modes. An example of this is FIFA's story mode.

- EA execs have been quoted as saying they would like to see similar modes in other EA Sports games.

- Some of the members of this team worked on the last combat sports game that had a story mode, Fight Night Champion.

- Its the easiest way to make a splash with a career mode and its something that reviewers would see as a huge leap from UFC2.

This is just a guess though. They could easily go the other way and add elements that EA MMA/UD3 had (Interviews, Training at different camps, fighting on non-UFC cards) etc.

My question for you guys is.....do any of these improvements make you play career mode more than once?
No. Not a fan of story mode in sports games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »