Home

Question for GPD regarding strikes in mount

This is a discussion on Question for GPD regarding strikes in mount within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Question for GPD regarding strikes in mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
The clinch breaks part makes sense and it's obvious what that would mean.

I'm 99% sure the other two are complete BS.

My guess is the description was written very early on based on an early design that changed, and they were never updated.

Punch breaks (if any still exist in the clinch) are binary and not affected by any perks.

Locomotion breaks don't exist.
That's crazy. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:59 PM   #34
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfc_rob_lfc
Yeah I suppose the elbows could do with altering. Straight punches, the hooks and the hammerfists all come out at exactly the same speed if you keep throwing them once the first one has landed. The problem is that the first straight punch takes a shorter time from button press to land than the hook and the hammerfist takes a little longer than the hook. This means that switching between a straight punch, hook, hammerfist etc. just isn't viable. People might as well stick to the same type of strike if they're gonna throw them repeatedly. If they're gonna take their time, they might as well start with the hooks as they do more damage to arms than the straight punches, and then once an arm is damaged they might as well just time straight punches between blocks and arm traps etc.
There's lots of ways to add depth to ground striking, centered around the different strike types.

But we didn't have time to do that, so any difference (aside from relative damage which was just a carry over from UFC 1) any difference between them is incidental and wasn't tuned.

I fully expected there to be a single best option that people gravitate towards. There were no real pros/cons designed into it.

It seems obvious and easy to do now in retrospect, but at the time there was literally no time to do it.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #35
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Quote:
I fully expected there to be a single best option that people gravitate towards. There were no real pros/cons designed into it.

It seems obvious and easy to do now in retrospect, but at the time there was literally no time to do it.
Good to know. I did complain about this during the beta because it is an immersion issue. You rarely see jabs/straights used when someone has full mount postured up. That was my main reason for wanting it changed. (Not to mention how much damage they do when they are weaker strikes.) So you don't feel like you are really ground and pounding using jab/straights. Ground and pound is strong strikes. Elbows, hooks, hammerfists. Hopefully that will be represented next game. I use the jab/straights, but only because of the effectiveness. I don't like using strikes that you normally wouldn't see in a position. Immersion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #36
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
So you guys don't use elbows in side control or side saddle? They are deadly after a few blocked transitions. Seems if u can land the first elbow from side saddle with being thrown back to side control you can tko every time with 4 or 5 more elbows even if they block. Side control I like to alternate hammer and elbow. You can knock guys out pretty easy with elbow from side control if they ha e low stamina
Well actually I do throw elbows in side saddle/crucifix I guess I was just thinking Full Mount

In Side Control I usually throw knees to the body. Doesn't do much damage ... needs a buff ...but I like to do that instead of elbows haha
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Old 07-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #37
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

One thing I like about working hammerfists into my Full Mount GnP --- those who try to go for Arm Traps a lot will be thrown off by the slight change in pace going from Straight Punches to Hammerfist

just that little 'change-up' can screw up their rhythm and be the difference between an Arm Trap; and a TKO
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

Old 07-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #38
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler569
Well actually I do throw elbows in side saddle/crucifix I guess I was just thinking Full Mount

In Side Control I usually throw knees to the body. Doesn't do much damage ... needs a buff ...but I like to do that instead of elbows haha
Yeah, elbows in side control are like pistons if someone isn't trying to transition. I believe they even slowed them down lol. Elbows in mount postured up are the ones that are pretty much useless except as a finishing strike. They are too slow and you can transition in that time.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #39
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Quote:
There's lots of ways to add depth to ground striking, centered around the different strike types.

But we didn't have time to do that, so any difference (aside from relative damage which was just a carry over from UFC 1) any difference between them is incidental and wasn't tuned.

Breaking Clinch w/ a strike would have been awesome; hope it's on the short list for UFC 3 --- sounds like you have a huge white board full of ideas in the hopper !
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

Old 07-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #40
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler569
Breaking Clinch w/ a strike would have been awesome; hope it's on the short list for UFC 3 --- sounds like you have a huge white board full of ideas in the hopper !
I want it on both sides. I want to be able to strike to break their clinch, as well as let go of the clinch to land a massive strike on the exit. The clinch also needs to be more fluid. Having to wait for the other player to try and transition or strike themselves so you can is awkward. I want to be able to clinch, throw a strike, then strike out of the clinch all in one fluid motion. Almost like it was a move.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »