Home

Can we get a bit of a spoiler for the upcoming update?

This is a discussion on Can we get a bit of a spoiler for the upcoming update? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 11:53 PM   #65
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Can we get a bit of a spoiler for the upcoming update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Great Post.

What you described is my dream AI/fighter tendencies. I would love if players were forced to use fighters the way they really fight to win fights. If I use Elkins, I should be forced to force grappling exchanges, force people up against the cage, dirty box and attempt takedowns off the cage to have a chance at winning. I should be able to make it dirty and find a way to win.

FYI, i just watched Hioki/Elkins and I cant say that Elkins "dominated" Hioki on the ground. In fact Hioki arguably won the grappling in round 1. In Round 2, Elkins was on top maybe for 30 seconds and Hioki outgrappled him in the last minute. Now in the third, he held him down for 4 minutes but part of that was exhaustion on Hioki's part.
I agree on the first part. Especially the part in which you specify something like 'I should have to fight a certain style to maximize the chance of winning with a particular fighter with a unique skillset.' That does not currently exist, at least not as pronounced as I'd like to see.

The second part, I had no clue who dominated Hioki. I remember someone was able to completely control him on the ground. Then in another fight once he came over to UFC, someone caught him with a submission (pretty quick if I'm not mistaken). Hioki isn't Maia or Jacare, but in his time, his mma functional BJJ was exceptional. He was doing things years ago you'd only otherwise see someone like BJ Penn do as far as high level guard passing and other nuances to the grappling game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2016, 11:56 PM   #66
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I hope the devs dont get mad at me for saying this (I swear GPD has said this in the forums before) but it was an active decision. They decided to focus on grappling this time instead of striking. The product shows it.

I go back and forth about whether this was the right decision. On one hand, I love the new grappling system. On the other hand, the majority of complaints are focused on standup issues and most gamers tend to pay more attention to the standup.
Casuals prefer the standup over grappling in UFC 2 by a long shot.

It's actually been seen as quite successful.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 AM   #67
Pro

TreJayMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC

yeah but it would be great to see a better striking system where at least the more popular fighters fight like their real self
Old 08-03-2016, 12:02 AM   #68
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreJayMMA
yeah but it would be great to see a better striking system where at least the more popular fighters fight like their real self
There are a lot of improvements that could make it better. This certainly being one of them.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:06 AM   #69
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Improved blocking animations would help the realism, a lot.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:07 AM   #70
Pro

TreJayMMA's Arena

Quote:
There are a lot of improvements that could make it better. This certainly being one of them.
Is there a chance that EA UFC 3 releases next year? even though I do want you guys to take as much time as you need but....... im desperate....and im impatient
Old 08-03-2016, 12:12 AM   #71
Pro

Quote:

Do you mean:
A.) casuals like to stand and bang
or
B.) Casuals do not resemble the rednecks who go to a live fight and boo when there is grappling.... And have therefore made an educated and well-reasoned argument as to why they believe the striking mechanics are superior to the grappling mechanics?

On a serious note, if the grappling system wasn't nearly as good as it currently is, can you imagine the frustration of casuals and more serious players who found themselves caught in whatever broken and spammable ground system might otherwise exist?

I stick with my opinion that, if this was a conscious decision, I think the right call was made. Striking is still fun, and SO TOO is grappling. It would suck if only one element was fun and playable
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2016, 04:26 AM   #72
Rookie

Quote:

Isn't this the case with ANY MMA game though? Most casuals also aren't going to read into the game mechanics like we will. Most casuals won't know about the free headkick (for example) unless it's specifically explained to them by someone.

I think the majority on these forums want similar things (stronger strikes, reduction of parries, massive stamina hit on spinning strikes etc, removal of "hit stun combos") in relation to striking but unfortunately we aren't the biggest slice of the pie when it comes to profit for the game and I understand the need to appeal to the masses.

I do personally think an overhauled striking system where you can go down in 3 perfect hits would appeal to casuals but that's just me.

Don't get me wrong I currently play the game loads and I think the strides from UFC1 to 2 were massive and brilliant.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »