Home

Question for DEVs or others with knowledge. Does the game use the unified rules?

This is a discussion on Question for DEVs or others with knowledge. Does the game use the unified rules? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Question for DEVs or others with knowledge. Does the game use the unified rules?

I was recently advised by a game changer that blocking takedowns score points in your favour. Can the DEVs advice if this is true or not? Under the current unified rules judges are advised that blocking takedowns are their own reward and should not score points under the scoring criteria.

I also wanted to ask if grappling and striking are scored equally or if striking is favoured over grappling? The reason I ask is in 2012 changes were made to the unified rules which state that blocking takedowns should not score points and striking and grappling should be weighted evenly.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/7/17...oring-mma-news

Also it should be noted the UFC still lists on their website the striking should be given more favour by judges then grappling which is out dated and not consistent with the current unified rules.

http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Question for DEVs or others with knowledge. Does the game use the unified rules?

Any chance I can get a reply from the DEVs.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Re: Question for DEVs or others with knowledge. Does the game use the unified rules?

At last ufc event the rules still stated it should be scored in that order, with effective striking still being first. This is from ufc website.

C. Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the ring/fighting area, effective aggressiveness and defense.

D. Evaluations shall be made in the order in which the techniques appear in (c) above, giving the most weight in scoring to effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area and effective aggressiveness and defense.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
At last ufc event the rules still stated it should be scored in that order, with effective striking still being first. This is from ufc website.

C. Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the ring/fighting area, effective aggressiveness and defense.

D. Evaluations shall be made in the order in which the techniques appear in (c) above, giving the most weight in scoring to effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area and effective aggressiveness and defense.

Effective defense is no longer a scoring criteria in MMA according to a change made to the unified MMA rules in 2012. See article below. John Mccarthy has also clarified this several times on his podcast that blocked take downs are viewed as their own reward since the 2012 rule change and they should not be scored for either fighter. The other major change from the same meeting was effective striking and grappling should be scored equally. Before the 2012 rule change effective striking was scored higher than effective grappling. I have asked he DEV's for clarification on this but they are yet to respond.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #5
Pro

Since there is no such thing as 'scoring points' during a round a lot of this is implied within one of these criteria.

Perhaps defending a takedown is viewed as part of octagon control (for the purposes of this game)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksearyback
Since there is no such thing as 'scoring points' during a round a lot of this is implied within one of these criteria.

Perhaps defending a takedown is viewed as part of octagon control (for the purposes of this game)
What do you mean there is no such thing as scoring points? While there isn't a linear points value for each type of strike, fighter absolutely score points. Eg a fighter would score more points in the minds of the judges for knocking his opponent to the ground then he would for landing a jab.

According to John Mccarthy Octagon control should not be considered as a scoring criteria except when no effective striking of grappling is present hence blocking take downs should not be scored in favor of either fighter.

Also Octagon control is about controlling the center of the Octagon and pushing forward not about blocking take downs.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:27 PM   #7
EA Sports UFC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainbyday1
I was recently advised by a game changer that blocking takedowns score points in your favour. Can the DEVs advice if this is true or not? Under the current unified rules judges are advised that blocking takedowns are their own reward and should not score points under the scoring criteria.

I also wanted to ask if grappling and striking are scored equally or if striking is favoured over grappling? The reason I ask is in 2012 changes were made to the unified rules which state that blocking takedowns should not score points and striking and grappling should be weighted evenly.

Also it should be noted the UFC still lists on their website the striking should be given more favour by judges then grappling which is out dated and not consistent with the current unified rules.

Sorry for the late reply, I had my head down for a couple days working.

Currently, if you deny a takedown you will receive a very slight advantage, which really just offsets the other fighter's takedown attempt.

The rules don't lay out very numerical scoring structures, so it has to be interpreted at some level, but they are definitely taken into account for the game's judging.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet
Sorry for the late reply, I had my head down for a couple days working.

Currently, if you deny a takedown you will receive a very slight advantage, which really just offsets the other fighter's takedown attempt.

The rules don't lay out very numerical scoring structures, so it has to be interpreted at some level, but they are definitely taken into account for the game's judging.
No worries at all and thank you for the reply. May I ask why blocked take down are taken into account at all for scoring given that effective defence is no longer a scoring criteria since the unified rule change in 2012? If it is no longer a scoring criteria why does it need to be interpreted for judging on any level?

I get there needs to be a stamina penalty but there should not be a scoring penalty according to the unified rules. I am generous with take down attempts because according to the unified rules there is no scoring penalty for missed take downs yet I only found out by chance the game does penalize you for missed take downs. If there are scoring criteria in the game which contradict the unified rules we should at least be told about them.

Last edited by trainbyday1; 08-09-2016 at 09:29 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »