Home

would be nice have different controls for movement (sidesteps etc) than flicking

This is a discussion on would be nice have different controls for movement (sidesteps etc) than flicking within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: would be nice have different controls for movement (sidesteps etc) than flicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme_Bananas
To be honest I have the same problem.

I have Cerebral Palsy and have heightened muscle tone in my body. As a result I am less dexterous than most people, especially in my left hand. Because of this, I have a big problem accurately flicking the left stick while holding a left shoulder button, because I basically clench the controller tighter than I want to.

I hated not being able to sidestep properly so I changed the PS buttons in the menu and switched L1 and R1 around. This works wonders! I can now sidestep properly and I can still block effectively. Since special striking and grappling was now mapped to R1 it took a little while to adjust but now it works great!

The ideal solution for me however, would be to map the special sidesteps to the block button, although maybe that would make defense overpowered because you can block and sidestep with the same button.
I have a buddy who I sim race with that is in a similar position as you. He can't use wheel and pedals so has to use a controller and had issues using the buttons and triggers during shifting. He added some paddles to the rear that let him map 4 buttons. They are the 4 face buttons. X, O etc. So he never has to use his thumbs except his left thumb to steer. Do a quick Google sewrch. There are tons of these Mapable paddles out there. Some 2 buttons, some 4.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: would be nice have different controls for movement (sidesteps etc) than flicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
I have a buddy who I sim race with that is in a similar position as you. He can't use wheel and pedals so has to use a controller and had issues using the buttons and triggers during shifting. He added some paddles to the rear that let him map 4 buttons. They are the 4 face buttons. X, O etc. So he never has to use his thumbs except his left thumb to steer. Do a quick Google sewrch. There are tons of these Mapable paddles out there. Some 2 buttons, some 4.
Never heard of these! I'll check it out!
Old 08-18-2016, 05:51 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet
What button do you think would be suitable for this to use? MMA is an incredibly complex sport, and a video game version of it has incredibly high demand for button real-estate. When you look at adding more modifiers, you must always ask the question of what else you're taking away. We go through no small number of ideas around button layouts and we test many of them in house.

So as an exercise, try to re-map all the buttons and inputs that we currently have while adding a new button for this feature, and then really try to imagine how accessible and easy to play that would be. Sadly, you can't test them yourselves, but this is in fact a huge challenge for this kind of game.

Again, not shooting this concept down, as we really do look at controller changes quite thoroughly. Just suggesting you give some thought to the end result of such changes and discuss how that'd turn out. The killer for us is usually the accessibility and ease of use. Just getting everything mapped on there is one thing, but the actual gameplay is another.

To your thought of holding buttons, it's not impossible, certainly, but play testing has showed it to not work terribly well in the past. Even harder for combos and tense situations where your fingers flying around. Holding the button can become an issue, and you can result in the wrong input.
I understand what u re saying..
but other EA games have many control schemes, why is it not possible on this game or next one?
I cant redefine my controller buttons on xbox, because there is no flicking there
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2016, 06:39 AM   #12
Rookie

no i had that idea for some time. i dont copy n paste ur ideas or topics.
that s thing about mankind 2 people can get same idea at same time while being on other side world not knowing about each other.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »