Home

Most of you will hate me for this: How to parry every strike.

This is a discussion on Most of you will hate me for this: How to parry every strike. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Most of you will hate me for this: How to parry every strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenetic NRG
It was like this for the last one, I thought everyone knew.

It's weird though - parrying is a LOT easier on PS4 and I think that's where so many complaints come from. On Xbox it's actually pretty hard in comparison. I can hop on PS4 and be a robot but on XB1 there's a weird delay / window that makes it pretty hard to do effectively.
Yes, it was like this in the last game too. I haven't played UFC 2 on PS4, but you're right the parries are very delayed on Xbox1. To me it feels like there is a delay with many of the animations though. Like the striking or trying to deny ground transitions. That's one thing I can't stand about this new game the lack of responsiveness with the user input and when the animation actually happen. UFC 1 everything was much more responsive.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #10
Banned

I have also known about this for a while but try to avoid using parries when possible. The bigger problem I think is the people who start every single combo with a parry even when you are not throwing any strikes. I think there should be a bigger stamina punishment for players who parry constantly even when your opponent isn’t throwing any strikes, much the the same way you are punished when you throw strikes and hit air.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:08 PM   #11
Pro

Stamina penalty for parrying non strikes? Nah. Irl when you see fighters over reactive to their opponents movements or feints it's usually a sign of being uncomfortable against their opponents skill sets. To translate this in-game, there should be a damage multiplier against the player who parries at non strikes and cools down like the GA meter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #12
VideoGame PseudoScientist

Generative James's Arena

So, I don't get where this window is. Whether I press block and a strike together, or hold block and then press a strike, whether I tap it or hold it, as soon as I do, my fighter turns their hands outwards, indicating the parry, and I lose my block leaving myself open for a counter. In order to parry again, I have to press both buttons in whatever order. Where is this window?

But what I did find interesting, that you pointed out, was holding the strike button and parrying without blocking first. I was playing around a little with this and having some success. Throw a strike, but don't release the button. From there you can parry high or low by pressing the high or low block. You can keep the strike button pressed and parry for as many times as you want by pressing the block buttons without having to repress the strike button. You can also continue to strike with your other limbs while keeping the 1st strike button pressed.

I was throwing a jab and keeping it held. Not blocking my head, leaving a nice wide open target, my opponent would attack it. I'd hit high block to parry then use the bottom part of my thumb to throw a head kick. I could do that over and over, all while keeping the top of my thumb on the jab and never blocking anything. I don't think it's fool proof but it's something I'll try to throw in the rotation.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #13
MVP

If you really want to have some fun, you can hold down both X and A (PS Square and X) at the same time and successfully parry with just using the R1 or R2 when the strikes come in.

Last edited by Evil97; 09-05-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generative James
So, I don't get where this window is. Whether I press block and a strike together, or hold block and then press a strike, whether I tap it or hold it, as soon as I do, my fighter turns their hands outwards, indicating the parry, and I lose my block leaving myself open for a counter. In order to parry again, I have to press both buttons in whatever order. Where is this window?

But what I did find interesting, that you pointed out, was holding the strike button and parrying without blocking first. I was playing around a little with this and having some success. Throw a strike, but don't release the button. From there you can parry high or low by pressing the high or low block. You can keep the strike button pressed and parry for as many times as you want by pressing the block buttons without having to repress the strike button. You can also continue to strike with your other limbs while keeping the 1st strike button pressed.

I was throwing a jab and keeping it held. Not blocking my head, leaving a nice wide open target, my opponent would attack it. I'd hit high block to parry then use the bottom part of my thumb to throw a head kick. I could do that over and over, all while keeping the top of my thumb on the jab and never blocking anything. I don't think it's fool proof but it's something I'll try to throw in the rotation.
The increased parry window is only noticeable when the other player is striking. As in you will only notice that you get more parries from the bigger window if the other guy is striking. When the other guy is not striking the parry animation is the same whether you hold down the parry button or just tap it.

The other trick you mentioned about holding down the strike button then blocking will get you KO'd against a good player as there is a delay between switching from high to low block. It will work well against quick match players though. Unless you come across Dave. He is the king of quick match. Come back to us Dave.

Last edited by trainbyday1; 09-05-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:00 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEZERO
Stamina penalty for parrying non strikes? Nah. Irl when you see fighters over reactive to their opponents movements or feints it's usually a sign of being uncomfortable against their opponents skill sets. To translate this in-game, there should be a damage multiplier against the player who parries at non strikes and cools down like the GA meter.
Irl you don’t see fighters closing the distance then parrying thin air when the other fighter is stationary. You also don’t see guys backing up and parrying thin air before every combo. It looks so dumb, is completely disingenuous and is in no way reflective or real life.

Myself and a lot of people who play the game are in favour of something to discourage this whether it be a stamina penalty or some other kind of penalty. Again the stamina penalty should only apply when the other fighter is not throwing any strikes in the same way you get punished for hitting thin air with strikes.

Last edited by trainbyday1; 09-05-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #16
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainbyday1
The increased parry window is only noticeable when the other player is striking. As in you will only noticed that you get more parries from the bigger window if the other guy is striking. When the other guy is not striking the parry animation is the same whether you hold down the parry button or just tap it.

The other trick you mentioned about holding down the strike button then blocking will get you KO'd against a good player as there is a delay between switching from high to low block. It will work well against quick match players though. Unless you come across Dave. He is the king of quick match. Come back to us Dave.
I've been playing lately.

In a ridiculous amount of quick match fights I've only seen maybe 2 people I'd consider good at parrying that were difficult to work around. A ridiculous amount.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »