Home

Would you like to see the R1 modifier return?

This is a discussion on Would you like to see the R1 modifier return? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

OVR: 0
Would you like to see the R1 modifier return?

EA UFC 2 lacks significantly strike variety i had thought of 2 ways of how it can be changed for the next UFC, but what are your thoughts on those 2 systems i am proposing:

- Method 1: R1 Modifier, works like EA UFC 1 for strike/transition variety. When holding R2 you block the body. When holding R2 + R1 the block goes to the head.

(Would make blocking the head a bit harder and closer to real-life, since it requires more button inputs. It's really hard to block your head in real life, most effective method to protect your head is head movement since most strikes bleed through the head block.

Having 2 modifiers could also help a system like this in place: Holding L1 Aggresive stance, hands down and can move faster torwards your opponent. Holding R1 Defensive stance, that locks after your opponent and has slight head movement when you try to move to the sides of your opponent etc.)

- Method 2: This would pretty much leave the key bindings as is, but one new addition would be to change strike variety by holding down the strike button.

(Would allow for situations like this: Tap the leg kick button->Does a quick leg kick. Hold the leg kick button-> Does a slow but powerfull kick that takes more stamina but has chances of health events and also opens up the initiator to be KO'ed easier.

Another situation is this: Tap the head kick button-> Does a normal kick to the head. Hold the head kick button-> It changes the head kick into a question mark head kick for those who have the said move in their moveset

Another situation is this: Tap the jab button-> Quick jab with auto lunge to help you set up other strikes. Hold the jab button-> Stiff powerfull jab, short range(no auto lunge) that has the ability to cancel the opponent's upcoming strike or change it's course and make it miss you.

Another situation is this: Tap the L1+Punch torwards opponent->Overhand punch. Hold the L1+Punch button torwards the opponent-> Superman Punch

And so on so forth, remember, you don't have to hold the modifier , it's irrelevant if you hold the modifier or not, you have to hold the actual strike button to change it into something more powerfull, stamina costly, opens you up and makes you prone to health events yourself.)

Last edited by manliest_Man; 09-18-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Would you like to see the R1 modifier return?

Sure I wouldn't mind to see the R1 modifier return, I like method 1 but a combination of both method 1 & 2 would be cool too.

Have it so R1/L2 + RS governs head movement so we can step, block, head movement at the same time, mobile footwork with LS and head movement with RS.

Hold the face buttons and depending on the duration you have various levels of techniques to pull from. It doesn't necessarily have to only be 2, light and heavy press, can also be tap, press, hold etc. I think it could open up the ability to be able to strike in motion somewhat like what the finish the fight functionally does.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

I think when the Beta came out a lot of people were happy with the removal of the additional modifier. I thought it was bonkers when ea removed it.

personally I would make r2 high block in every scenario, r2+r1 for low block. Issue with that though is it would result in even more camping on high block.

I like the idea of short and long button presses in theory, but with lag I think that could wind up being disastrous.

I actually preferred the old weak block with with buttons on controller giving you strong high and low block, but I think I was the only one who liked that.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
I think when the Beta came out a lot of people were happy with the removal of the additional modifier. I thought it was bonkers when ea removed it.

personally I would make r2 high block in every scenario, r2+r1 for low block. Issue with that though is it would result in even more camping on high block.

I like the idea of short and long button presses in theory, but with lag I think that could wind up being disastrous.

I actually preferred the old weak block with with buttons on controller giving you strong high and low block, but I think I was the only one who liked that.
I liked that as well, but I think it was that it was a huge window to parry. I think if they redid that mechanic but shorten the window to time a parry but still allow us to hold that position like in eaufc1 but if you hold it too long your arms should fatigue and cost stamina etc. Also make it so that parries aren't static but be more variable and fluid in motion so it doesn't freeze you in place etc.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:42 AM   #5
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

I guess i would also be down with a combination of the two methods, but as far as blocking is concerned i am going back and forth on the R2 of EA UFC 1 that blocks everything.

I guess the perfect system of blocking, for me, it would be something like this:

R1 -> Block the limbs of the opponent, that the opponent can throw lead shots with.

R2 -> Block the limbs of the opponent, that the opponent can throw rear shots with.

Hold Both, for a weak block that blocks every strike at about 50% and also drains stamina.

For example: i am on the left side of the screen, my opponent is on the right side of the screen. We have the same stances, i press R1 for his jabs and lead kicks. R2 for his straight and rear kick.

It would make spinning strikes harder to read, just like in real life and so on so forth, so i'd most likely end up holding both buttons and having a weak block and trying to move out the way with movement instead of trying to block everything.

It would translate much better to how blocking works in an actual fight and why fighters have issues when their opponent's fighting style is orthodox or when they can change stances etc. since it makes it harder to read. It would give so much importance on what fighting style your opponent is fighting with, as each style would change the way each strike reads and it would add a lot of variety in striking. It would solve those goofy body/head combos, since they require you to change limbs to be effective when going from the body to the head or from the head to the body, so they would be predictable to block and it would most certainly make parrying a lot harder and skill oriented.

If you are getting battered and don't know what's coming from where, you simply press and hold them together your stamina burns and you have a weak block that gets penetrated easily and can perhaps be broken by specific combinations and requires you to press the block button again, like a failed parry currently does.

That said, I know EA would most likely not go behind a system like that, because it would be too anti-casual and i guess it wouldn't play out well in the game and it would be too hard to get used to.

However, it would fix a lot of issues such as in the clinch, where knees to the body and head have the same animation , and people can't see where it's going, so it's R2 for all the knees.

Last edited by manliest_Man; 09-19-2016 at 12:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2016, 12:55 AM   #6
MVP

I like this idea of specific blocking lead or rear, interesting for sure. I would like it it L2+R2; so R2 would block the head and L2+R2 the body or in this case R2 the lead/rear and L2 the rear/lead and L2+R2 weak block etc.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:01 AM   #7
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
I like this idea of specific blocking lead or rear, interesting for sure. I would like it it L2+R2; so R2 would block the head and L2+R2 the body or in this case R2 the lead/rear and L2 the rear/lead and L2+R2 weak block etc.
Well, that would be a lot harder and pretty impossible to tell in the game, since the animations and the side view, don't really help with when a strike is going to the body or head, it would have to be a prediction most of the times and a lot of unescessary muscle memory(which sure it's how it is in real-life, but that would completely ruin the fun i feel in the game)

Having a block for a pair of your opponent's limbs, sounds more playable than having 4 different blocks. That would be extremely difficult and a lot harder than blocking is in real-life. A lot of people would get pissed off and justifiably complain of being unable to play with 4 blocks.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:17 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by manliest_Man
Well, that would be a lot harder and pretty impossible to tell in the game, since the animations and the side view, don't really help with when a strike is going to the body or head, it would have to be a prediction most of the times and a lot of unescessary muscle memory(which sure it's how it is in real-life, but that would completely ruin the fun i feel in the game)

Having a block for a pair of your opponent's limbs, sounds more playable than having 4 different blocks. That would be extremely difficult and a lot harder than blocking is in real-life. A lot of people would get pissed off and justifiably complain of being unable to play with 4 blocks.
I get what you mean but it does reopen the R1 to be another free modifier can that be used not just for strikes but maybe also for movements, steps, slips etc. Keeps the standard block for R2 and applies the already present body modifier for body block.

In the lead rear dynamic it'd be the same setup as the R1/R2 you suggested but just replacing R1 with L2 so we have method 1, 2, and this method 3 to be able to work together and all be possible in a single configuration.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »