Home

Can we please have a scramble mechanic in UFC 3?

This is a discussion on Can we please have a scramble mechanic in UFC 3? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Can we please have a scramble mechanic in UFC 3?

WARNING LONG READ AHEAD!!!

I've seen GPD post about a transition based sub which is awesome and I really hope makes it in.Hopefully with some form of minigame to finish the sub and the mini game becoming much easier depends on how deep into the sub transition you've gone up until that point.I really liked the choke submissions from EA MMA.

What I'm hoping for is to take that same logic but apply it to all of grappling and especially scrambles.

I think we should have the "get up" button return, but make it the "force scramble" button. There should be a rating attached as well as a perk for it. I would also like for a mini game with either shining or button mashing but based on a certain timing. If you recklessly mash/shine then you'll go to fast and be sloppy which leads to losing position or risking getting subbed. Too slow and your opponent will beat you to the position. But like with transition based subs how easy/hard the mini game is should depend on which position you've put yourself in prior to initiating (or attempting to) the scramble.

A good example would be full guard bottom. I should be able to do a couple of mini transition, for instance, shrimp left or right to create space then getting a foot on the hip. If I managed to get both then I'd be able to hit the scramble button to explode up if timed right. If I mess up the mini game I could end up with my back taken or possibly giving up a free pass to half guard or side control.

In the above scenario you could also use a mini transition to first game wrist control, then another to immediately shrimp out to create space, follow by going for a sub attempt. This would put you deep into the submission minigame and locking the sub would be a lot easier. Ratings+stamina would also affect the mini game. If Werdum did all the mini transitions against Derrick Lewis + had a stamina advantage, the triangle or armbar would pretty much be 90% locked in at that point.

In my scenario there would be 3 different kind of transitions. Mini,regular, advanced. Mini transition would be the small nuances like hand placement, hip movement etc. It would cost very little stamina even if denied but if you're constantly focused on mini transitions you open yourself up to GnP. Regular would be our standard ones now, like going straight for half guard. It should use moderate amount of stamina/ Major transitions would be attempting sweeps, or special transitions to pass right into side control from full guard. But they'd be very difficult to achieve unless certain mini transitions were complete first OR you had a huge stamina+rating advantage. Scrambles could be clicking in R3. Both of these would use large amounts of stamina and a large amount of long term stamina if denied.

I think this adds another dynamic to the grappling and keeps the casual friendly controls yet adds far more depth. A casual player can still just rely on jumping straight to half guard, or even trying to just scramble right away if they'd like. But at high level play you'll be forced to work on the mini transition first otherwise you risk being denied/reserved constantly.

Last edited by Phillyboi207; 10-08-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Re: Can we please have a scramble mechanic in UFC 3?

I like it.

Ground game in UFC 2 is so much better than UFC 1...but I still think it feels a bit robotic at times.

Adding in different types of transitions (i.e. major vs. minor vs fake vs mini etc) --- with more varied outcomes for those "on the fence" situations (i.e. neither player totally dominated the transition, or the denial; it's now a scramble/etc.) --- would help a lot.

Easier said than done I'm sure But it definitely feels like Rock Paper Scissors on the ground at times, but adding a few new (but simple) transitions/scramble mechanics/etc could be h0000ge!
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Old 10-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
Banned

Re: Can we please have a scramble mechanic in UFC 3?

Glad someone likes it

I wouldnt mind keeping GA but only in terms of momentum or position placement. Denials shouldnt have anything to do with it. But if i posture up to strike that should make it easier for you to transition or scramble. That makes it less about denying or baby striking for GA and more about attaining good positions and doing the little things to give you advantages

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »