Home

With new blocking system guys that dont parry are at a disadvantage.

This is a discussion on With new blocking system guys that dont parry are at a disadvantage. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2016, 07:35 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: With new blocking system guys that dont parry are at a disadvantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGATA
In VF5 we have a huge diversity between reversals of different characters:
- some characters gave reversal against Pucnhes, some against concrete kick types
- some characters has reversals against all level strikes (low, mid, high), some against high or low
- reversal window is different between different character: Akira has 10F window, Goh has 15F, etc

So, Reversal game is totally different between different fighters. based on their style and +/-.

Btw, there are 4 types of "Parry" in VF:
Reversal - grab attacking hand and deal dmg
Sabaki - deflect attacking limb by performing special strike and deal dmg
Inashi - deflect attacking limb and gain Striking advantage w/o dealing dmg (attack setup)
Throw insahi - counter against clinch/throw attempt which ends in GA situation.

> So, i hope we will see the difference in reversal/parry game between different fighters in EA UFC 3.
I know there are different kinds of parries, but I didn't want to over complicate things. I just wanted to show that parries in most fighting games are much harder to perform and carry many more risks than UFC does
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-04-2016, 11:18 PM   #26
EA Game Changer

ZombieRommel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme_Bananas
hahaha what? Parrying takes neither skill nor timing and is ridiculously over rewarded.

1. The parry window is extremely large, I haven't tested it but it must be 20 frames at the very least. If your timing is even in the ballpark of precise you will parry with no problem.

2. You don't have to worry one bit about what kind of strike the opponent is throwing. Jab? Straight? Left hook? Right hook? Left upper? Right upper? Superman punches? Overhands? Roundhouses? Wheel kicks? Showtime kicks off the cage? R2/RT+[]/Y and you'll parry them all as long as you guess whether it's to the head or body.

3. The amount of stun you get from being parried is absolutely insane, as are the counter opportunities. You parry the smallest of jabs and your opponent pretty much does the splits and allows you to land a free lead headkick. A free headkick off of a jab parry

I've ranted about this before in other threads, so I'm not gonna write a 6000 word essay here, only that I think the parries are the worst flaw in the entire striking aspect of this game. They either need to be majorly revamped or left out entirely
I agree. Parries are bull****. Martial is also very loud about this. Pretty much all of the GC'ers have made it clear how much we hate the parries.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:41 PM   #27
EA Game Changer

Kenetic NRG's Arena

If you mix up your strikes and timing there are literally less than 5 people who can "parry spam". If you are getting parried by someone frequently who isn't one of these 5 people you need to work on your striking.

I parry people who stick to a very simple timing and who always throw the same damn combos. If I know for a fact what someone is about to throw, seconds before they do, why shouldn't I be able to punish them?

The problem isn't the parries it's other methods of defense. Head swaying sucks and body 1-2's are way too prominent.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:02 PM   #28
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Considering the other aspects of the game the hate towards parrying is unwarranted. If martial and his YouTube combos don't like them I don't see how that isn't anything but positive.

I don't think I've ever played against anyone where I thought parrying was a big problem. imo if you try and deny fake and do it wrong you can't deny again for a period of time is worse.

Every aspect of this game has something the goofy.

Don't be predictable, or better yet, be predictable just to fake opponent out.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #29
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenetic NRG
If you mix up your strikes and timing there are literally less than 5 people who can "parry spam". If you are getting parried by someone frequently who isn't one of these 5 people you need to work on your striking.

I parry people who stick to a very simple timing and who always throw the same damn combos. If I know for a fact what someone is about to throw, seconds before they do, why shouldn't I be able to punish them?

The problem isn't the parries it's other methods of defense. Head swaying sucks and body 1-2's are way too prominent.
I disagree. Like I said in a previous post, the parry window is so large that you barely have to predict or time anything. Add to that that you can parry mid combo after being hit (I want to throw a 1-2-left hook, the 1-2 hits him square in the face yet he still parries the left hook), and timing and reading your opponent becomes even less important.

What's even worse, there is almost no risk involved. When you miss a parry in other fighting games, you get blown up. Miss a parry in Tekken and say goodbye to 60% of your life bar, 2 missed parries and you're dead.

What happens in EA UFC? You miss a head parry and you eat a bodyshot, you miss a body parry and eat a headshot, big deal, single strikes do no damage anyway, and even if you get combo'd you can still parry the subsequent shots. If you miss a parry, you can safely attempt it another 100 times throughout the match.

Conversely, all it takes is one parried jab and counter puncher/crazy legs or any other damage perk to kick in to cause and instant stun or knockdown, and since you can parry hundreds of times in a match the chance of that happening goes up considerably.

I agree that sadly, 1-2 spam is very prevalent and sway counters are severley underpowered, but that doesn't take away that the parry is still extremely overpowered.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #30
EA Game Changer

Kenetic NRG's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme_Bananas
I disagree. Like I said in a previous post, the parry window is so large that you barely have to predict or time anything. Add to that that you can parry mid combo after being hit (I want to throw a 1-2-left hook, the 1-2 hits him square in the face yet he still parries the left hook), and timing and reading your opponent becomes even less important.

What's even worse, there is almost no risk involved. When you miss a parry in other fighting games, you get blown up. Miss a parry in Tekken and say goodbye to 60% of your life bar, 2 missed parries and you're dead.

What happens in EA UFC? You miss a head parry and you eat a bodyshot, you miss a body parry and eat a headshot, big deal, single strikes do no damage anyway, and even if you get combo'd you can still parry the subsequent shots. If you miss a parry, you can safely attempt it another 100 times throughout the match.

Conversely, all it takes is one parried jab and counter puncher/crazy legs or any other damage perk to kick in to cause and instant stun or knockdown, and since you can parry hundreds of times in a match the chance of that happening goes up considerably.

I agree that sadly, 1-2 spam is very prevalent and sway counters are severley underpowered, but that doesn't take away that the parry is still extremely overpowered.
You couldn't be more wrong about missing parries not resulting in damage. I want to say there IS a smaller window for penalty on PS4 - however

In high levels of play missing a parry gets you killed. In high level play, damage and knockdowns are a result of missed defense off the combo multiplier. I want to try and explain this in the easiest way possible so let me use an example -

When I fight another striker, Onzah.. Shariff.. doesn't matter - each of us are looking to mix you up on a 50/50 block to get a knockdown /do damage. The 50/50 is the point in which you are given an instinctual choice of whether to block / parry high or low oncr you are hit by a combo. I say instinctual because if done correctly you DO NOT have the reaction time to defend the attack.

Something Shariff likes to do is player power strikers (Lawler, Cain, Rumble, ect) and will go LOW with body jab straights. He will do this and mix in a HIGH power overhand occasionally. By doing this he FORCES the opponent into a 50/50 where they have to either continue to block low or GUESS he will go high.

Now - if I think 'ok he is going to go 1-2-1-2 ALL to the body and I parry my body ok good I guessed correctly. HOWEVER if I miss the parry because he goes high I am eating a combo multipied overhand that I CANNOT block because I tried to parry low.

The issue with parrying is that people don't understand striking in the game yet. Take it as you will but the striking is based off of mixing people up on their block. When I fight someone who parries I AIM to mindgame them. I will throw 1-2 body then a head uppercut headkick. If they parry it - awesome I have their attention. I might throw the same combo to see if they parry it again. The trick is once they have that combo locked in I throw the same body 1-2 but continue it to the body with a body kick (results in a hit stun) and then a body knee. They miss blocking the kick because they tried to parry and take a full 4 piece heavy combo to their body. If they didn't try to parry they could have blocked the kick BUT they took the RISK in trying to parry.

You can do this to anyone and makes for an incredible mind game in the striking. If someone misses a parry or if I miss a parry vs a strong player, I'm going to take a lot of damage. If I see a 4 piece coming at my head and miss time the head kick finisher parry, I am 100% on my ***.

Parrying jabs is lame but it is VERY easy to work around unless you are playing vs someone with some of the best parries in the game. If you are getting your jab parried with overhands MIX UP YOUR TIMING. Jab their body, lead with a headkick instead of a jab, throw a body kick, circle into range like you are ABOUT to throw - you'll see their hands come up THEN you hit them.

I have worked with many players who struggle in dealing with my parries - After 15 minutes of showing them what they are doing wrong they have zero issues afterwords.

I barely play the game anymore. I came back and all anyone wants to do is dance around, point fight, and abuse the no standup mechanics on the ground. Why is no one talking about that? I invite anyone to play me, two fights. One fight I'll parry my god damn heart out. The next I won't parry once but I will abuse every poor mechanic within the game. I will bet money you will say that second fight was much much worse.

Last edited by Kenetic NRG; 11-06-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:26 AM   #31
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenetic NRG
You couldn't be more wrong about missing parries not resulting in damage. I want to say there IS a smaller window for penalty on PS4 - however

In high levels of play missing a parry gets you killed. In high level play, damage and knockdowns are a result of missed defense off the combo multiplier. I want to try and explain this in the easiest way possible so let me use an example -

When I fight another striker, Onzah.. Shariff.. doesn't matter - each of us are looking to mix you up on a 50/50 block to get a knockdown /do damage. The 50/50 is the point in which you are given an instinctual choice of whether to block / parry high or low oncr you are hit by a combo. I say instinctual because if done correctly you DO NOT have the reaction time to defend the attack.

Something Shariff likes to do is player power strikers (Lawler, Cain, Rumble, ect) and will go LOW with body jab straights. He will do this and mix in a HIGH power overhand occasionally. By doing this he FORCES the opponent into a 50/50 where they have to either continue to block low or GUESS he will go high.

Now - if I think 'ok he is going to go 1-2-1-2 ALL to the body and I parry my body ok good I guessed correctly. HOWEVER if I miss the parry because he goes high I am eating a combo multipied overhand that I CANNOT block because I tried to parry low.

The issue with parrying is that people don't understand striking in the game yet. Take it as you will but the striking is based off of mixing people up on their block. When I fight someone who parries I AIM to mindgame them. I will throw 1-2 body then a head uppercut headkick. If they parry it - awesome I have their attention. I might throw the same combo to see if they parry it again. The trick is once they have that combo locked in I throw the same body 1-2 but continue it to the body with a body kick (results in a hit stun) and then a body knee. They miss blocking the kick because they tried to parry and take a full 4 piece heavy combo to their body. If they didn't try to parry they could have blocked the kick BUT they took the RISK in trying to parry.

You can do this to anyone and makes for an incredible mind game in the striking. If someone misses a parry or if I miss a parry vs a strong player, I'm going to take a lot of damage. If I see a 4 piece coming at my head and miss time the head kick finisher parry, I am 100% on my ***.

Parrying jabs is lame but it is VERY easy to work around unless you are playing vs someone with some of the best parries in the game. If you are getting your jab parried with overhands MIX UP YOUR TIMING. Jab their body, lead with a headkick instead of a jab, throw a body kick, circle into range like you are ABOUT to throw - you'll see their hands come up THEN you hit them.

I have worked with many players who struggle in dealing with my parries - After 15 minutes of showing them what they are doing wrong they have zero issues afterwords.

I barely play the game anymore. I came back and all anyone wants to do is dance around, point fight, and abuse the no standup mechanics on the ground. Why is no one talking about that? I invite anyone to play me, two fights. One fight I'll parry my god damn heart out. The next I won't parry once but I will abuse every poor mechanic within the game. I will bet money you will say that second fight was much much worse.
Missed Parry does not grant additional damage.

There are always 10 frames delay between switching defense levels no matter Block or missed Parry.

Mixing 50/50 is a routine base for every fighting game, but in UFC 1-2 mix ups are OPed:
- in other fighting mix ups takes nearly 30% of the fight time ; in UFC 1-2 it takes 100% all the time
- no Striking advantage rules
- because no hit stuns and guard stuns
- the most used moves are basic strikes not L1, basic strikes can be modified High /Low ANY time w/o any restrictions
- difficult to read recognize incoming strike level by its initial animation especially in 30 fps

So, 50/50 mix up game becomes TOO RANDOM and unpredictable regardless of skill level or defensive techniques. This is the main issue of the game, not pro!

Last edited by SUGATA; 11-07-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #32
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

I agree w/ both Bananas and Kinetic in a way

Parries aren't really OP in this game if you're a high level striker. I don't really fight anyone who can use parries as a *single* method to beat me; no way.

On the other hand...just b/c it's balanced doesn't mean it's not ugly and lame lol....also, while there are some penalties for missing parries, that penalty needs to be dialed up.

By like a factor of 3

Parries definitely aren't OP but they're definitely not 'legit' lol they're a goofy in-between experience.

And yes on one hand --- GIT GUD and you won't have to worry too much about parries --- on the other hand, they definitely need some more risk to their reward.

And there should never be an opportunity to parry a jab and then land a unblockable or near-unblockable headkick lmao
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »