Home

The Perfect Swoop Explained with example

This is a discussion on The Perfect Swoop Explained with example within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
The Perfect Swoop Explained with example

The perfect swoop is used to avoid getting reversed. Timing is key. When a reversal occurs, the grapple meter will flash blue or red depending on which corner the defender (one doing the deny/reversal) is in. This is not the moment you should swoop. The actual reversal transition does not take place until the meter is full. There is a window towards the end of the meter in which it turns back to yellow for a brief moment. This can vary from around 3/4th full or later depending on what I would assume to be stamina and grapple advantage. *Edit, see correction below from GPD* Below is a link to a quick video I uploaded that will show myself first doing a couple standard reversals where you can see the full meter with the color switch. Then I start doing the perfect swoop in the yellow portion to get that reversal to become just a denial. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ0aGkMh070

If someone can get the embedding to work, that would be great.

Last edited by Evil97; 10-27-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #2
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Re: The Perfect Swoop Explained with example

The perfect swoop window I believe is 8 frames from the end no matter what.

The reason it looks different on the meter is because the meter will fill up faster or slower depending on how many frames the transition you are attempting takes to complete. And that is dependent on GA and stamina and the move itself.

There is also a vibration cue on the controller that tells you when the perfect time to swoop is, so you don't need to rely on the HUD to pull it off.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:27 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
The perfect swoop window I believe is 8 frames from the end no matter what.

The reason it looks different on the meter is because the meter will fill up faster or slower depending on how many frames the transition you are attempting takes to complete. And that is dependent on GA and stamina and the move itself.

There is also a vibration cue on the controller that tells you when the perfect time to swoop is, so you don't need to rely on the HUD to pull it off.
Thanks for clearing that up. I remember the vibration aspect as well, but I never really have attempted to implement the technique into my game. I mainly mix up the timing of starting a transition to avoid reversals. Still get flipped every so often though.

Last edited by Evil97; 10-27-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:12 AM   #4
VideoGame PseudoScientist

Generative James's Arena

Does Perfect Swooping stop SUBMISSION Reversals?

Like single or double leg takedown sub reversals or the kneebar from 1/2 guard or, more importantly, the guillotine reversal from Sprawl?

I tried it out and couldn't get it to work, but I'm bad at swooping with two controllers in my hands. I think the meter stops filling when the sub reversal is input, unlike regular denial inputs where the meter keeps filling, but my tv is small and I'm not sure.

Youtube:Generative James's Games's
Helpful EA UFC 2&3 info with No Commercials!!!
Old 10-28-2016, 04:38 AM   #5
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generative James
Does Perfect Swooping stop SUBMISSION Reversals?

Like single or double leg takedown sub reversals or the kneebar from 1/2 guard or, more importantly, the guillotine reversal from Sprawl?

I tried it out and couldn't get it to work, but I'm bad at swooping with two controllers in my hands. I think the meter stops filling when the sub reversal is input, unlike regular denial inputs where the meter keeps filling, but my tv is small and I'm not sure.
No, I am sure.
Because as I think PS is possible only against Grapple block reversals, not against Grapple move reversals (sub, TD, transition).

And I don't think that this is right decision especially when Geapple move reversal is unbalanced in stand up unlike on ground: L2 instead of L2+R2 input so can be pre emptive, w/o stamina loss or Blank GB penalty.

Last edited by SUGATA; 10-28-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2016, 06:48 AM   #6
VideoGame PseudoScientist

Generative James's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGATA
And I don't think that this is right decision especially when Geapple move reversal is unbalanced in stand up unlike on ground: L2 instead of L2+R2 input so can be ore emotive, w/o stamina loss or Blank GB penalty.
Agreed.

I got excited for a minute when I thought I had some kind of defense against that Guillotine reversal from sprawl.

Youtube:Generative James's Games's
Helpful EA UFC 2&3 info with No Commercials!!!
Old 10-30-2016, 02:14 AM   #7
Rookie

Stahon's Arena

This thread helps, thanks.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
MVP

Bigg Cee's Arena

The swoop is worthless if there is any sort of lag and since most ppl online have crappy internet or are overseas (Brazil is the worst) then it's hard to even pull off and gets you in more trouble. I feel like it's a wasted mechanic. I don't even bother doing it anymore.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »