Home

I want your guys opinion on the current ground game of EA UFC 2

This is a discussion on I want your guys opinion on the current ground game of EA UFC 2 within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #1
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

OVR: 0
I want your guys opinion on the current ground game of EA UFC 2

I can see many people praising the new system of the grappling/ground game, but we all know it's far from perfect and could improve on lots of things.

Reason i am making this thread, is because i wanted to know what do you think of the subject that i am about to bring up and wether you'd like to keep the system this way for EA UFC 3 or wether you'd like to go back to how it was.

So what i am talking about, is the posturing up/ground and pound and transition mashing that cancels the exact same generic looking strikes.

To take Undisputed 3 and compare it to EA UFC 2, in Undisputed 3, you could use the left stick both on the offense and defense on the ground game and it would change the how well you defending against your opponent's strikes as far as defense is concrerned, while on the offense, you could posture up seemlessly and turn left and right and change the angle your strikes came in from.

Another thing was, that you could drag and move your opponent while on the ground, if your opponent was headlocking you, the game didn't just stall there and have you sit on the same spot without doing anything, but rather you could drag around your opponent.

So with that said, what i've noticed and i think we all have, with EA UFC 2, is how generic and stuck in the mud the whole grappling system seems.

While it does work most of the time, it doesn't feel like it represents a realistic MMA experience, like the one Undisputed 3 was trying to accomplish with it's fast paced and tons of fluidity system.

In EA UFC 2, you do the exact same transition animations over and over again, the exact same strikes from each position, that are always deadly and always feel kind of buggy and not true to the sport, other things like that are the posturing up, which takes too much stamina and slows you down and all in all what i am trying to say is EA UFC 2's ground game feels like a mini-game that doesn't try to represent the actual MMA ground game, but rather it trys to be in a league of it's own. It tries to just work and have it's own logic instead of giving us an authentic MMA experience.

Some examples of what i mean:

1) You are in Full Mount position .

- You posture Up.

- You start throwing strikes.

- Opponent will block and as soon as he blocks 2 strikes he knows he can transition out that position and be safe in half guard.

2) You are in Side Control position.

- You try throwing a strike

- Opponent starts spamming transitions

- Your strike animation gets canceled and the opponent gets grappling mommentum.

3) You are in sprawl position.

- You can't throw knees to the shoulders, you are only throwing predetermined strikes which are soft punches to the body.

- The more you sit in that position, the opponent gains a magic grappling advantage that will allow him to get up easier etc.

4) You are in Full Guard position.

- You Posture Up

- You try throwing strikes and the opponent knows that once he blocks 2 strikes he can safely transition out of it and get up etc. or he can start mashing his transitions left and right or faking you pulling you down to cancel your strike animations.

5) Every Postured up strike cancels the opponent's transitions. (some rare cases it gets glitchy and this logic doesn't apply)

So you see, where i am going with this?

While this game has it's own logic and it works in a game environment it's completely absurd and unrealistic in trying to mimic the real sport's ground game.

While those rules make sense from a game perspective, they end up making the game look not only arcadey and unrealistic and not true to the sport, but in my opinion are not even fun. It's not as if the devs said "okay this is not a fun real-life aspect, let's put our twist in it and make it a more pleasant experience" it feels like they just did it, to work instead of being realistic,true to the sport and being fun.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you prefer the game to have it's own logic and sacrifice the realism and fluidity of the real-life ground game or did you prefer the Undisputed 3 approach, which tried to include everything real-life ground game related, in it's ground game, instead of a locked down fake system with it's own logic & rules that becomes more of a board game with it's solid and predictable options that ends up looking arcadey/generic and feels like it's stuck in the mud?

Last edited by manliest_Man; 12-26-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
MVP

Trillz's Arena

Re: I want your guys opinion on the current ground game of EA UFC 2

i think the actually basis of the system is fine but obviously it still can improve. you mentioned some of the issues but i think the system is good, hopefully they keep it the same and work on the problems that you said and make more positions.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Rookie

We must have more positions and variety like UDP3 and the ability to your oponent like you said and better animations of course, besides that is fine like that and it would be nice to have referee stand ups whenever your oponent is content with just sitting in there and throwing baby punches without posturing up like UDP3. No more lay and pray and waiting for your oponent to move first.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:40 PM   #4
Pro

It can definitely be better but it is the best gound system to be implenented in an mma game by far. Tweak some things and add more positions for the next game and i would be satisfied. Spend the rest of the time focusing on the clinch and stand up and ufc 3 will be great
Old 12-26-2016, 08:46 PM   #5
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

I think if I was good at game I would hate the submission system. Since I'm not good at game, sub system is awesome, lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2016, 09:57 PM   #6
Pro

Donnie_Brasco_FR's Arena

The final version we have is dope but
2 unfair things must be corect for the next game!

firstly, have the option when you defend a takedown attempt to CHOOSE to go in sprawl if you want OR to only push the opponent away if you want too but if the second choice is choosen, it is necessary that we push the opponent to a distance That he can be touched like in the first episode, now we push him and we cant touch him in return

The second is when we deny a thai clinch attempt, we push the opponent so far, it's unfair!

Last edited by Donnie_Brasco_FR; 12-26-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:40 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 1

Yeah I agree that it isn't emulating actual MMA at all in how it works. Way too many transitions, way too hard to hold a guy in one place. Watch two real fighters and they don't go from half to full to half to mount to half etc etc. It just doesn't happen that way. Transitions should be passively blocked if your opponent is not striking, blocking a strike/submission or transitioning themselves.

That's right, I'm saying it should be impossible to transition most of the time you're on the ground. If you watch an MMA fight guys have to create the opportunity to transition to better position by threatening a submission or striking. That's just how it works. Sometimes you see a guy explode into a transition or get up attemp and they could find a way to work that in but right now it's way, way too easy to transition and I would rather they swung the other direction to start in 3.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:32 AM   #8
Pro

Donnie_Brasco_FR's Arena

Wanted to simulate the reality Obsessively is a heresy, for exemple, on the ground, what we want is more positions, more options, like holding the opponent into our guard, decide by deny transitions if we want to reverse or just keep the oponent.
Who into his guard have wanted to deny a gas out opponent to submit him then instead of reverse him

Last edited by Donnie_Brasco_FR; 12-27-2016 at 05:53 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »