Home

Dumb questions: what is a sweep and how do I do one?

This is a discussion on Dumb questions: what is a sweep and how do I do one? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
Pro

MeowingForVengeance's Arena

OVR: 0
Icon5 Dumb questions: what is a sweep and how do I do one?

Hey, ya'll. Filthy casual checking in. Looking at the stats of my Career Mode fighters all of them have a big fat zero in the Sweeps category. I have a vague idea of what a sweep is, but after searching high and low here and elsewhere I haven't been able to find any information on what they are and how to perform them.

Anyone feel like shining a light on this issue? I absolutely love this game, but I really wish it did a better job of explaining the more advanced aspects of the ground game (which are the coolest part, IMO).

Thanks for reading!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2017, 07:10 PM   #2
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Re: Dumb questions: what is a sweep and how do I do one?

I think in the game some of the arm traps are considered sweeps. I could be wrong but in this game it seems reversals are just denials, where sweeps are actual transitions that give you dominant position if you successfully pull one off while in submissive position.

I think some require you to press the L1 modifier.

In this video it's not the clearest since every time you go up a level in sweeps the animations also show the previous levels sweeps. The silver looking dudes on right of the screen show all the sweeps available.

It does seem unusual to me that ea used little silver characters and fast moving animations. It's like they want to make it difficult on you.

If you can't figure out what is going on in this video I'll edit in commentary or instructions later. I didn't want to go through all the animations as the video would be unnecessarily long.

Last edited by Dave_S; 01-13-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Pro

MeowingForVengeance's Arena

Thumbs up Re: Dumb questions: what is a sweep and how do I do one?

Hey, thanks! I've watched those animations before, but it just looked like the same one for every level and I was hella confused as to what purpose they served. Guess I should've watched them a bit longer.

I tend to favor wrestlers, so I've already been using some like the backside sub to backside top and the north-south flip. Weird that the career mode stats don't consider them sweeps, but then there's a bunch of weird stuff in career mode.

Thanks for clearing that up! Sick Ronald, BTW.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Rookie

a sweep is from full guard. a reversal is from any other bottom position. this is in jiu jitsu scoring, anyway.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebelt
a sweep is from full guard. a reversal is from any other bottom position. this is in jiu jitsu scoring, anyway.
That's the correct bjj definition.

We took a more liberal use of the term for the game. In terms of the game and stats/achievements, a sweep is any transition that takes you from a submissive position to a dominant position.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »