Home

Balance vs. Fighter Realism/Sports Game Logic v. Fighting Game Logic

This is a discussion on Balance vs. Fighter Realism/Sports Game Logic v. Fighting Game Logic within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2017, 08:48 PM   #25
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Balance vs. Fighter Realism/Sports Game Logic v. Fighting Game Logic

I think you are missing one vital key: the brains. We are their brains. Jon Jones is very talented because he knows how to use his tools. The weapons are stronger, but you ARE the fighter. A weaker fighter should have a harder time in certain areas. Which is why stats matter.

Jones vs Brilz: Jones is definitely the stronger fighter, with more precision, but a "smart" Brilz could destroy a "dumb" Jones.

Mimic that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #26
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingtime
I think you are missing one vital key: the brains. We are their brains. Jon Jones is very talented because he knows how to use his tools. The weapons are stronger, but you ARE the fighter. A weaker fighter should have a harder time in certain areas. Which is why stats matter.

Jones vs Brilz: Jones is definitely the stronger fighter, with more precision, but a "smart" Brilz could destroy a "dumb" Jones.

Mimic that.
I agree with this wholeheartedly which is why I don't understand the need to balance the game by balancing the fighters.

Build the fighters to scale the way they are in real life and the player base will balance the leader board based on skill the skills of the real life human controlling them.

If you're really playing competitively and that is the end all be all, then why does it matter if you end up fighting the same elite fighters over and over again?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #27
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeric
Sure but if im lyoto or shogun i shouldnt be at some massive disavantage when it goes to the ground just because its jones. It should have more to do with what i can do. Standing up stats dont make sich a massive impact on the game the way it does on the ground. This is my main point.

More importance on stats=less competitive= less fun.. This is still a game afterall. And i shouldn't feel like i destroyed the guy and played much better but lost just because i fought jones(or some OP fighter)
This is the crux of the issue. EA UFC is the only sports game where this thinking happens.

In NBA 2k, the Warriors are significantly better than the Nets. The Warriors have higher shooting, defending and passing ratings. Why? Because they are significantly better than the Nets in all of those areas. I've never seen anyone argue that the stats of those teams should be made closer so that someone using the Nets or any other team can have a better chance at winning against the Warriors.

This is a fighting game based on real life. Jones dominated Rua and Machida in grappling in their fights. We know for a fact based on those fights and Jones's other fights that he is a better grappler than those two. So why cant his stats show that?
Old 02-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #28
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:

Mimic that.
I think the game does that already. I'm slightly below average at this game. If you give me Jones and give a player like Kenetic Maldonado....he beats me every damn time.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #29
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I think the game does that already. I'm slightly below average at this game. If you give me Jones and give a player like Kenetic Maldonado....he beats me every damn time.
He isn't a gauge. He is the top of the top. We all play lower.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #30
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaari
Depends. I like the idea of realism, but only if it is matched with realistic fighter stats, no more undeserved stats to fighters favored by the UFC.

I wish it was more about fighter skills and not about fighter bodies beefed up with stats. Getting caught at the right moment should cause problems for anyone on the roster, if we can atleast achieve that, we are a long way towards fair balance.

I do support it though, I'd be very happy if the game took a direction where you could exploit your opponents known weakness rather than them being viable everywhere as they are now, but I don't think many people are going to enjoy that sort of approach.
Fingers crossed that this wont be an issue in UFC 3.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:03 PM   #31
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
He isn't a gauge. He is the top of the top. We all play lower.
Use any other good player. I'm not going to win half of those fights against any good player. Now if you took a person of the same skill level as me, I'd likely be alot more competitive and in my opinion thats the way it should be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2017, 09:08 PM   #32
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Use any other good player. I'm not going to win half of those fights against any good player. Now if you took a person of the same skill level as me, I'd likely be alot more competitive and in my opinion thats the way it should be.
When you are fighting someone of equal skill it should be a challenge, but not impossible. Every fight has a 50/50 chance in the beginning.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »