Home

CATCH PUNCH into Clinch by Parry for EA UFC 3

This is a discussion on CATCH PUNCH into Clinch by Parry for EA UFC 3 within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #25
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: CATCH PUNCH into Clinch by Parry for EA UFC 3

I guess people forget how much a missed catch will cost you. This wasn't a problem on Undisputed. The risk/reward was there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #26
EA Game Changer

MartialMind's Arena

Okay there's a language Barrier and sometimes it's difficult to understand exactly what you mean so forgive me if i misunderstand you and please correct me when i misunderstand you.

For the sake of making sure we are on thesame page, what exactly are you referring to? Are you referring to:

- Punch block into clinch and which clinch? Single Collar? Over/under? Double under?
- Punch Catch into clinch and which clinch? Single Collar? Over/Under? or double under?
- Or Punch deflect/Punch parry into the clinch? And also, which clinch?

It is important that we all understand the difference between a block, catch and parry in the martial arts sense of these words. I know it might all seem basic but in EA UFC 2, all sorts of things are referred to as a parry.

Example, in EA UFC 2, if you hold R2 and press X or O when you see a leg kick coming and you completely evade the leg kick, that is referred to as a parry.

https://gyazo.com/93bbd2400b202f2aaf0163f72039e384">

But that isn't a parry... That's a complete evade.

Another one is when you hold R1 + Square/Triangle when you see an uppercut coming and the fighter sways it... That is also considered a parry in EA UFC 2.

https://gyazo.com/f4ff076bce095612bfe431806e7e57ea">

That also isn't a parry. That's a sway. You swayed the uppercut, you didn't parry it.

For a defensive maneuver to be considered a parry, you need to deflect the punch and by deflection, i'm going with the traditional martial arts definition, the Wing Chung definition... the Pak Sao in Wing Chun. I use Wing Chun because Wing Chun is the Martial Arts that uses the Parry the most, even more than boxing.

Right here Cro Cop executes a perfect Pak Sao... he parries a jab and a straight almost simultaneously and returns fire.

This is what an ACTUAL parry looks like in EA UFC 2

https://gyazo.com/44c71c661b146ddcce302984ae53cabc">

NOW that we have that out of the way, i would like to know EXACTLY which defensive maneuver you want to blend into the clinch?

- Block?
- Catch?
- Pak Sao (Parry/deflect)?

Reading from your latest reply, i'm gonna assume you meant the deflect, the parry, the Pak Sao? You then showed a Gif from UFC 209 showing a punch block into the clinch and that's what is really confusing me.

I mean this wasn't a deflect, this was a BLOCK into the clinch.

https://gyazo.com/b88b8bc5eb0ec261448b942287ff298d">

So that's what i really wanna know exactly what you're asking for. And can you provide image references to back it up?.

You say what you're asking for happens frequently in MMA.... Please provide references? Could you show at least 5 times where this happens in a LIVE fight?

If you can't find a Gif, at least tell me which fights it happens, i can find the fights and watch it and see if i can see what you're referring to.

Until there's a clear understanding of exactly what you're referring to, there will be confusion.

Either way, i'm still probably not going to be on board with any defensive mechanic that results in an automatic clinch against an offensive attack. I can't imagine how it would be done right, the animation will have to be believable and for it to be believable, they'll need a clear reference, a real life reference and i don't know what possible reference they could use.

Even when you look at UD3 and how they handled it, the animation is 100% unbelievable and unrealistic. Even the block (Or as you say deflect punch) into clinch isn't realistic... No one blocks a punch and then magically sucks the other into the clinch.

It's even worse in UD3 when you look at the Punch catch into the clinch. The straight and overhand catch into the clinch looks terrible... it looks like the punch actually hits them in the face and then somehow you get sucked into the clinch.

https://gyazo.com/64d78d7a8aa95ae805066e3be7f04eac">

https://gyazo.com/a5cc0c5c3538b3fdf42eb449b8c4215b">

I mean these simply don't make any sense. For me to be on board with something like this, i need clear references from real fights and honestly, i don't think they exist, at least in the way you're suggesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GIF 1.jpg (41.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 1

That pretty much sums it up for me. Punch catches are weird looking and don't reflect something that happens often.

Now if it were easier to grab a clinch on someone after they whiffed on a strike? Sure. But the UD thing was not good.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #28
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartialMind
Okay there's a language Barrier and sometimes it's difficult to understand exactly what you mean so forgive me if i misunderstand you and please correct me when i misunderstand you.

For the sake of making sure we are on thesame page, what exactly are you referring to? Are you referring to:

- Punch block into clinch and which clinch? Single Collar? Over/under? Double under?
- Punch Catch into clinch and which clinch? Single Collar? Over/Under? or double under?
- Or Punch deflect/Punch parry into the clinch? And also, which clinch?

1) When i am requesting for "Catch punch inot clinch by parry" - i am talking about:
ANY POSSIBLE fighting moves which IRL can neglect the opponent's strike and gives a safe window for going into Clinch; these moves launches by Parry command input and can be different based on the context and current fighter fighting style > more diversity.

It can be:
- Block into Clinch (like Age Uke from karate) - similar to those i posted as a gif from UFC UD1-3
or hard brute block like this:

- Deflect/parry into Clinch - used often in combat Sambo:

- Evade (Sway) into Clinch - combat sambo:

- Cross counter strike w Clinch entry (common in MT)

Many examples are in my post above with several videos.

If all that moves are possible and even common in those fighting styles they must to be available in MMA, they are not restricted by rules.

2) Your examples with the last your UD gifs are not correct because UD suffered from animation issues and this is the example. Please check my gif and your similar gif where the incoming strike is not deflected but blocked ... by deflection move - this is an animation bug/issue (both "parries"are the same but contact is different which causes buggy animation on your gif, which you complain as unrealistic when it is just buggy):

P.S. To prevent misunderstanding, do you want me to ask about changing thread's name into "Parry punch into Clinch for EA UFC 3"?

P.P.S. In EA UFC almost every fighter has Cage jumping strikes... How often do you see them in real life MMA? Parrying into clinch is much more common thing irl, and we still dont have it in the game... it is a nonsense.

Last edited by SUGATA; 03-19-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:44 PM   #29
Handling it

fishingtime's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGATA
P.P.S. In EA UFC almost every fighter has Cage jumping strikes... How often do you see them in real life MMA? Parrying into clinch is much more common thing irl, and we still dont have it in the game... it is a nonsense.

via GIPHY

Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 AM   #30
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGATA
Thats true for the first game. Not so much for the 2nd one.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:14 AM   #31
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

cage strikes are outta control, but I think that's obvious and is a different discussion anyways
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2017, 12:21 AM   #32
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
cage strikes are outta control, but I think that's obvious and is a different discussion anyways
Different discussion but I think online guys exaggerate the issue a little. There are 250 fighters in the game and the large majority dont have cage strikes. When you are only fighting people that typically use the top 10% of fighters and alot of that 10% have cage strikes....the issue seems a little bigger than it is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »