Home

Von Flue Choke Submission Switch Idea

This is a discussion on Von Flue Choke Submission Switch Idea within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #9
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Von Flue Choke Submission Switch Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generative James
This mechanic could also work for the extensive leg lock game I'm hoping will be added to UFC 3. Then fighters could play footsies! I don't know the particulars of the different holds but I know I've seen one fighter dive for an ankle lock or something and then the other fighter responds by going for one of his own... and sometimes finishing it faster than the one who started first.
Yh that's called the 50/50 position in grappling cuz both fighters have access to each others legs. Because sometimes when you dive for leg locks, your legs are still in a position where your opponent can try to attempt his own leg lock. Would be cool to have in the game for sure.

Last edited by WarMMA; 04-23-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #10
Rookie

JustBlazeM8's Arena

If the 50/50 makes it into the game, I think it should have it's own special mechanic since it's not purely an attacking or defensive position - it's an all rounder. See if we can get some Ryan Hall's up in here.
#3 UT Player (PS4)
95%+ Win Record Overall

#14 - LEC 205
#7 - LEC 203
#3 - LEC 214

But, I'm still selling wolf tickets.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #11
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBlazeM8
If the 50/50 makes it into the game, I think it should have it's own special mechanic since it's not purely an attacking or defensive position - it's an all rounder. See if we can get some Ryan Hall's up in here.
We actually saw 50/50 a few times just this last saturday.

The J-Lou - Stevie Ray fight found themselves in 50/50 a few times.

A denied Imanari Roll could potential lead into 50/50 also, which could be cool in the game.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #12
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

I honestly think submissions are the one thing aside from basic clinch entries all fighters should have. Differentiate them via move levels and ability to switch the submissions/effectiveness. I also think the higher the submissions rating/move level and stamina the better position your fighter can escape to when getting out of a sub and better position you hold them in when they get out of your sub.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #13
Pro

I like hearing all of these ideas, even if the mechanics of certain moves might be disagreed upon by each of us. Still great for us, and hopefully those in control reading, to incorporate some new dynamics to the submission game.

By the way, a great byproduct of counter submissions is it would eliminate those who spam submission attempts without any intention of finishing.

For this to work correctly it is IMPERATIVE for EA to consult at least two high level grapplers on positions and submissions in which two fighters can each attack and defend. To realistically introduce advantageous positioning into duel submission situations, and/or straight counters to submissions or certain movement would be a lot of fun... I have a feeling the effort is going toward striking this time around though.

On the von flue: not that it matters as we aren't programming, but just as a matter thinking it through. I like the idea of the defending fighter hitting a green switch gate first to reverse the submission. However, remember the mechanics of this move. It only works if the defending fighter gains leverage, which only happens when the attacker loses position (and holds onto the strangle). So if in closed guard, there is no reversal. However, maybe beating the attacker to the switch gate on the mini game means the defender improves the position (iideally passing guard to the opposite side of the choke). There should then be a time in which the attacker has to quicker abort or risk have his arm stuck and the choke reversed. But, I guess the reason I think this is important enough to comment on is 1.) this only exists in certain situations (but is a white belt level move so nearly everyone should be able to do it), but also, it should be a situation in which the attacking fighter is given a brief window to abandon the choke -- but then ends up in bottom of side control.

When it comes to the idea of playing leg locks from 50/50 or any number of positions, this is an extremely dynamic and deep game. It would be a hell of an effort to get it right. However, it would be great to see a simple attempt even if the back and forth was crude and shallow (as long as the general transitions are realistic and based on something real).
Old 04-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #14
Pro

Haz, I know that you have some grappling background too. What do you think of the above comment?
Old 08-05-2017, 10:28 PM   #15
VideoGame PseudoScientist

Generative James's Arena

Since Jordan Rinaldi just scored the 4th Von Flue Choke in UFC history....

I'm bumping this thread!

Youtube:Generative James's Games's
Helpful EA UFC 2&3 info with No Commercials!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2017, 12:52 AM   #16
VideoGame PseudoScientist

Generative James's Arena

Bumping! OSP does it again!

We don't have to use my submission switch idea... but this choke cannot be ignored anymore!

Von Flues for all in EA UFC 3!!!

Youtube:Generative James's Games's
Helpful EA UFC 2&3 info with No Commercials!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »