Home

Damage Dynamics: Understanding Depth

This is a discussion on Damage Dynamics: Understanding Depth within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Damage Dynamics: Understanding Depth

Here's my question, which may be common knowledge to most of you: If I lean a certain direction, are their certain strikes that will inflict increased damage due to me leaning into the strike?

For example, if I lean forward and my opponent throws an uppercut, is the damage worse for me?

If the above answer is yes, then does this same dynamic relationship hold true for movement? Example, if I flick right to create a new angle just as my opponent launches a left to the liver, do I absorb more damage than if I were standing still and in front of him?

Does the opposite also hold true. If I pivot to the right, do I take less damage from a landed right handed strike because I've moved away from the power?

Just trying to figure out how dynamic and sophisticated the striking system is.

Also, if these variables are not currently taken into account, I would hope this is something being built out for the next iteration... and for that matter, the inverse relationship should also hold true: meaning, offensively creating angles should result in more damage (i.e., a striker who changes the angle with a quick pivot to the left should be able to simultaneously leverage a left to the body to inflict exponentially more damage than the same strike thrown without first setting up the shot with proper footwork). This can go on forever, but just an idea I'd hope is already in motion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Re: Damage Dynamics: Understanding Depth

I was under the impression this game has no idea where the liver is located, and a body shot was a body shot.

In my experience it really seems like my modified sidesteps make me eat a ton more damage if I am moving into a strike.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #3
MVP

Bigg Cee's Arena

This was first adjusted in a patch, but was too OP so in the next patch they toned down the damage taken when side stepping into a strike.

I believe GPD, Kenetic and Zhunter talked about it on this forum. I don't remember the details of the damage taken, but GPD mentioned it.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Cee
This was first adjusted in a patch, but was too OP so in the next patch they toned down the damage taken when side stepping into a strike.

I believe GPD, Kenetic and Zhunter talked about it on this forum. I don't remember the details of the damage taken, but GPD mentioned it.
Interesting... I feel like priorities are jacked up. We have hit stuns and combo multipliers in what is supposed to be a simulation game. However, very realistic things like movement, and angles altering shot placement and efficacy are shunned because they couldn't properly calibrate what it should mean with regard to the damage meter.

I don't get that decision. I say get rid of stuns -- and especially special combos. I'd rather have something that's realistic and overpowered, than something that is silly and fake, AND overpowered.

But that's just my two cents
Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

It kind of is, but at the same time it's honestly not that dynamic. The damage system is just not that realistic tbh. Increased damage is much more catered to in combos and off parries, which shouldn't be the case. But that's why all the players now try to do combos and parry all the time...it's what the game caters to. In real mma though, the strikes that always do the most damage are counter strikes where the opponent misses and right away gets hit and strikes the opponent runs into. That is not really represented properly in the game. I remember I played against a Conor one time online that was spamming spinning back kick. At one point he did it like 3 times in a row and missed and I counter high kicked him every single time and all I got was hit reactions. Then as the match goes on he rocks me with a random head kick lol. I was using Cerrone btw, who has head hunter lvl 3 perk. But yh it's cases like these that show you the games striking is trash and not really realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
It kind of is, but at the same time it's honestly not that dynamic. The damage system is just not that realistic tbh. Increased damage is much more catered to in combos and off parries, which shouldn't be the case. But that's why all the players now try to do combos and parry all the time...it's what the game caters to. In real mma though, the strikes that always do the most damage are counter strikes where the opponent misses and right away gets hit and strikes the opponent runs into. That is not really represented properly in the game. I remember I played against a Conor one time online that was spamming spinning back kick. At one point he did it like 3 times in a row and missed and I counter high kicked him every single time and all I got was hit reactions. Then as the match goes on he rocks me with a random head kick lol. I was using Cerrone btw, who has head hunter lvl 3 perk. But yh it's cases like these that show you the games striking is trash and not really realistic.
Man, just reading this makes me crave a new system which does away with stuns and combo multipliers. In exchange, we could end up with a build out which rewards footwork, angles, punch placement (and to your point, some of the more devastating strikes are short counters which were unexpected). So add distance management and timing.

A system like mentioned above would allow beginners to stand in front of each other and throw down and have fun. However, trying that against someone countering, or initiating at the correct angles, with the correct strike for the precise distance at that time, would cripple the opponent in short order. Subtle and nuanced, yet very realistic. It's simple, it's intuitive. It makes sense!
Old 04-27-2017, 11:03 PM   #7
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksearyback
Interesting... I feel like priorities are jacked up. We have hit stuns and combo multipliers in what is supposed to be a simulation game. However, very realistic things like movement, and angles altering shot placement and efficacy are shunned because they couldn't properly calibrate what it should mean with regard to the damage meter.

I don't get that decision. I say get rid of stuns -- and especially special combos. I'd rather have something that's realistic and overpowered, than something that is silly and fake, AND overpowered.

But that's just my two cents
Hmm...why do you think hit stuns are fake? What causes them in the game (combos and the multiplier) isnt realistic but a stun is very realistic in my opinion.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:11 PM   #8
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

In the real world it's very rare for one strike to cause the same type and duration of stun nearly every time. If it did fighters would be browsing YouTube and throwing the combos we all love so much in real fights.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »