Home

Any BJJ Practitioners here?

This is a discussion on Any BJJ Practitioners here? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2017, 05:46 AM   #49
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Any BJJ Practitioners here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajBerimBolo
Other than rubber guard what over techniques and sweeps are you learning exclusively at 10th planet?
Huh? Rubbergaurd isn't even something I personally incorporate in my game? Honey hole would be something I suppose?

All depends on your personal game and what you wanna do. I'm more of a top player at this stage. From guard I work kimura to hip bump sweep.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:13 AM   #50
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_the_Door
Huh? Rubbergaurd isn't even something I personally incorporate in my game? Honey hole would be something I suppose?

All depends on your personal game and what you wanna do. I'm more of a top player at this stage. From guard I work kimura to hip bump sweep.

I was just asking. Not the biggest fan of the 10p style but still respect what they are capable of doing.

I do that at times too. Hip bump sweep, if they base out attack the kimura. Or Hip hump sweep, base out, triangle.

Loads of options and reactions from hitting a hip bump sweep.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #51
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajBerimBolo
I was just asking. Not the biggest fan of the 10p style but still respect what they are capable of doing.

I do that at times too. Hip bump sweep, if they base out attack the kimura. Or Hip hump sweep, base out, triangle.

Loads of options and reactions from hitting a hip bump sweep.
Oh didn't mean to come across mean or anything was just saying I don't really know what'd be 100% exclusive as in my opinion if your gym is purposefully not teaching you a technique then you're not learning Jiu Jitsu IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #52
MVP

chia's Arena

Quote:
Oh didn't mean to come across mean or anything was just saying I don't really know what'd be 100% exclusive as in my opinion if your gym is purposefully not teaching you a technique then you're not learning Jiu Jitsu IMO.
Not entirely true. A lot of the 10th Planet techniques and terminology are very specific to their style of Jiu-Jitsu. Rubber Guard for instance isn't taught in a lot of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu gyms because it is not relevant to more conventional Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. The terminology of the 10th Planet techniques are very specific to their Jiu-Jitsu which is entirely NoGi.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #53
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chia
Not entirely true. A lot of the 10th Planet techniques and terminology are very specific to their style of Jiu-Jitsu. Rubber Guard for instance isn't taught in a lot of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu gyms because it is not relevant to more conventional Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. The terminology of the 10th Planet techniques are very specific to their Jiu-Jitsu which is entirely NoGi.
I'm not saying it isn't exclusive or specific - what I am saying is that if your gym isn't willing to adopt what we teach/learn then you're in for a world of trouble come competition time.

If your gym isn't incorporating some outside techniques then you're getting cheated IMO. I can't tell you how many guys where I'm from struggle when it comes to the cage simply because they're so accustomed to lapels/cuffs.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:05 PM   #54
MVP

chia's Arena

Quote:
I'm not saying it isn't exclusive or specific - what I am saying is that if your gym isn't willing to adopt what we teach/learn then you're in for a world of trouble come competition time.

If your gym isn't incorporating some outside techniques then you're getting cheated IMO. I can't tell you how many guys where I'm from struggle when it comes to the cage simply because they're so accustomed to lapels/cuffs.
Agree to disagree. I'll never teach 10th Planet specific techniques because the majority of training we do is in the Gi and it's not applicable to try and adopt or learn the techniques to counteract a minority of the art/sport.

As far as Gi players struggling in the cage that's pretty normal when they are making the transition but it shouldn't be the norm into their training. If they are focused on competing in MMA then training in the Gi regularly enough to be overly used to the grip is on them for training incorrectly.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #55
Banned

^ Both make good points. I agree that your professor should be teaching you as much as he can, including wrestling too which a lot of schools neglect.

This is just my opinion but those who train in the BJJ in the gi will have better fundamentals than those who train exclusively 10p style BJJ.

Once you get pass their unorthodox style you can use fundamentals to win. Just like pena did against Gordon Ryan. Eventually he passed to side control, took his back and rear naked choked him.

Train in the Gi, no gi and mess around with the fun stuff too. 10p guys will only do no gi which will hinder your overall game. How many 10p guys are doing well in MMA? Tony Ferguson? Kelvin Gastlelum? Cant think of many others as oppose to Werdum, Maia, Jacare, Roger gracie etc who all trained in both but primarily the gi

That being said i think some of the stuff you do is cool and i use the truck a lot even in the Gi.

Last edited by SajBerimBolo; 07-10-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #56
Pro

FYI... none of the 10th Planet stuff is "exclusive" by definition. It may get popularized by Bravo, but many gyms learn the same stuff, even if it's copied. All this stuff is copied at some level.

Silly debate, to be honest.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »