Home

What are some combos that completely destroy your opponents guard?

This is a discussion on What are some combos that completely destroy your opponents guard? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #25
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What are some combos that completely destroy your opponents guard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksearyback
Not realistic? Why would stamina not recover when blocking?

Just my opinion but I hope they address the concerns you have, but in a different way.

Example: If someone camps on high block you can punish the arms or maybe sneak around the guard if you want to go up top. Damaged arms should become slower over time, and (along with increasing fatigue) should make the fighter begin to carry his hands lower, thus increasing the time it takes to block from neutral... and it makes reaction time slower when switching from high to low block.

Anyway, I really hope that everything in this game is questioned in development with the main point being, does this make sense realistically? This should eliminate arbitrary things like parts of grapple advantage as well as blocking, and basically everything. Everything can be addressed with an alternative solution rather than arbitrary mechanics to account for spam/cheese management
In real life you can't see well worth forearms and gloves in front of your face and you can sneak strikes around it.

Dudes literally hold block when are nowhere near them not throwing strikes.

My original idea would be to block out 20-30% of the screen to simulate arms in front of face. I was thinking that would be realistic, even though I know its terrible idea.

Last edited by Dave_S; 07-21-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #26
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
In real life you can't see well worth forearms and gloves in front of your face and you can sneak strikes around it.

Dudes literally hold block when are nowhere near them not throwing strikes.

My original idea would be to block out 20-30% of the screen to simulate arms in front of face. I was thinking that would be realistic, even though I know its terrible idea.
Haha. It would certainly be a deterrent if the screen was blocked.

A proper doesn't block vision like that though (even if this were 1st player). Even a high guard with boxing gloves shouldn't be over the eyes, let alone small MMA gloves.

I'm with you though, there should be ways to deter holding high block. I have to say though, I think it's pretty realistic to say attack the body and legs... and/or start banging on the arms so they slow down (punch and block reaction time) as the fight wears on. Also, arms in neutral should be lower once tired and damaged creating more distance from neutral to block.

What challenges me is that punches should be able to get through or around these small gloves. But to incorporate that would be random, and that would suck. I guess the current mechanic can be interpreted as best down arms allowing more punches to "slip through" even though that's not what's really happening in the animation of a broken high block.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #27
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Quote:
Haha. It would certainly be a deterrent if the screen was blocked.

A proper doesn't block vision like that though (even if this were 1st player). Even a high guard with boxing gloves shouldn't be over the eyes, let alone small MMA gloves.

I'm with you though, there should be ways to deter holding high block. I have to say though, I think it's pretty realistic to say attack the body and legs... and/or start banging on the arms so they slow down (punch and block reaction time) as the fight wears on. Also, arms in neutral should be lower once tired and damaged creating more distance from neutral to block.

What challenges me is that punches should be able to get through or around these small gloves. But to incorporate that would be random, and that would suck. I guess the current mechanic can be interpreted as best down arms allowing more punches to "slip through" even though that's not what's really happening in the animation of a broken high block.
In UFC 2 holding block puts arms right in front of the face though, that was my point.

I'd like to see my active blocking ideas implemented in ufc 3.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #28
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

I know this sounds really stupid, but holding up a high guard, after rounds of striking, and grappling IS NOT as easy as you'd think. You're tired, fatigued, arms are full of lactic acid, etc.

There's a reason why you see less effective high guard as the fight wears on, because it's a lot more physically taxing to hold your arms up constantly than you'd initially realize.

Holding guard should absolutely 100% burn stamina. It should also make you move slower.

Just for fun, hold your arms in front of your face, and watch the clock. I guarantee within 2 minutes your arms will be tired. Let alone 15-25 minutes, WITH striking, and grappling, etc..

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Last edited by Haz____; 07-21-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #29
Pro

TheUFCVeteran's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
I know this sounds really stupid, but holding up a high guard, after rounds of striking, and grappling IS NOT as easy as you'd think. You're tired, fatigued, arms are full of lactic acid, etc.

There's a reason why you see less effective high guard as the fight wears on, because it's a lot more physically taxing to hold your arms up constantly than you'd initially realize.

Holding guard should absolutely 100% burn stamina. It should also make you move slower.

Just for fun, hold your arms in front of your face, and watch the clock. I guarantee within 2 minutes your arms will be tired. Let alone 15-25 minutes, WITH striking, and grappling, etc..
I don't think it should lower regular stamina, but have a separate stamina bar for blocking. Or, slowly make the block less effective the longer you hold it up. When you're not holding it, it'll regenerate slowly, but not at the same rate that it deteriorates.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #30
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Quote:
Anyway, I really hope that everything in this game is questioned in development with the main point being, does this make sense realistically? This should eliminate arbitrary things like parts of grapple advantage as well as blocking, and basically everything. Everything can be addressed with an alternative solution rather than arbitrary mechanics to account for spam/cheese management
This is what i've been saying over and over man...

Unfortunately some of the gamechangers come from being DEEP into the Arcade Fighting game scene, and are looking at our game through their lenses, and I think that is a big reason why all these goofy unrealistic auxiliary systems are put into the game.... Because that's how Arcade Fighters work....

The thing is, we are a Martial Arts sim, NOT an Arcade Fighter..

It honestly has me a bit worried for the future, but i'm holding out hope.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #31
Pro

TheUFCVeteran's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
This is what i've been saying over and over man...

Unfortunately some of the gamechangers come from being DEEP into the Arcade Fighting game scene, and are looking at our game through their lenses, and I think that is a big reason why all these goofy unrealistic auxiliary systems are put into the game.... Because that's how Arcade Fighters work....

The thing is, we are a Martial Arts sim, NOT an Arcade Fighter..

It honestly has me a bit worried for the future, but i'm holding out hope.
Well MartialMind is a gamechanger, and he is hardcore for the sim playing style. So that might be a consolation. He's said in comments and tweets something along the lines of it being much better than UFC 2, and if that's coming from him, then I've reason to be excited.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2017, 05:13 PM   #32
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUFCVeteran
I don't think it should lower regular stamina, but have a separate stamina bar for blocking. Or, slowly make the block less effective the longer you hold it up. When you're not holding it, it'll regenerate slowly, but not at the same rate that it deteriorates.
Hmm. Some interesting ideas.

I think blocking somehow needs to be tied to stamina. And at the very least, it needs to not be a perfect forcefield like it is now, which blocks 100% of all damage..

The only way to beat High Guard, without grappling, is goofy unrealistic mix up combos, or body spam... Literally the only way to beat it, is with cheese.

That's just not good mechanics..

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »