Home

What are some combos that completely destroy your opponents guard?

This is a discussion on What are some combos that completely destroy your opponents guard? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2017, 05:16 PM   #33
Pro

TheUFCVeteran's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What are some combos that completely destroy your opponents guard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
Hmm. Some interesting ideas.

I think blocking somehow needs to be tied to stamina. And at the very least, it needs to not be a perfect forcefield like it is now, which blocks 100% of all damage..

The only way to beat High Guard, without grappling, is goofy unrealistic mix up combos, or body spam... Literally the only way to beat it, is with cheese.

That's just not good mechanics..
Very true. There are guys who just hold high block until you punch, then counter. What this does is make it so you blow your stamina, and they get away scot-free.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #34
Pro

Quote:
I know this sounds really stupid, but holding up a high guard, after rounds of striking, and grappling IS NOT as easy as you'd think. You're tired, fatigued, arms are full of lactic acid, etc.

There's a reason why you see less effective high guard as the fight wears on, because it's a lot more physically taxing to hold your arms up constantly than you'd initially realize.

Holding guard should absolutely 100% burn stamina. It should also make you move slower.

Just for fun, hold your arms in front of your face, and watch the clock. I guarantee within 2 minutes your arms will be tired. Let alone 15-25 minutes, WITH striking, and grappling, etc..
I get what you mean, but I disagree strongly. Someone using untrained muscles to test that is pretty far off. I promise even a 1 year Thai student who comes to class 2-3 times a week can circle a ring with their guard up for 3 rounds.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:09 PM   #35
Pro

Quote:
Hmm. Some interesting ideas.

I think blocking somehow needs to be tied to stamina. And at the very least, it needs to not be a perfect forcefield like it is now, which blocks 100% of all damage..

The only way to beat High Guard, without grappling, is goofy unrealistic mix up combos, or body spam... Literally the only way to beat it, is with cheese.

That's just not good mechanics..
The only thing that makes sense to me is to figure out a way to allow strikers to create angles to attack around or through the guard. I know I'm in the minority here but I don't think holding block should drain stamina. At least not in an absolute sense.

Now, to some of the other points you made: clinch Grappling, wrestling, jiu jitsu, scrambles, AND damage from blocking strikes should absolutely affect 'arm stamina.' Different from holding hands up draining general stamina. Does that make sense? And weak/tired/beat up arms should have repercussions, as explained in previous posts in this thread.

Haz, you do make a great point though, and I don't think it's emphasized enough in the current game. If you hold high block you should have a super hard time stopping a takedown (if done from a decent distance etc.). The reason we learn to fight with a different stance from boxers is precisely because of the takedown element. You have to be ready to get underhooks to stop the shot. Same goes for overreaching with the lead arm and getting over that front foot -- again, easy takedown.

Just pointing out some things that are simple to implement in the game as counters for this stuff. I do admit, aside from easier takedowns and a wide open body, I struggle to think of a good way to deter this... (one idea just popped into my head though: high guard held constant means no elbow to deflect body blows - perhaps liver shots should be implemented into the game. Step left and kick/punch a clean liver shot from the perfect distance means game over, no more eating 20 clean body kicks in a fight. That will change behavior)
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »