Home

MartialMind's honest thoughts after playing EA Sports UFC 3

This is a discussion on MartialMind's honest thoughts after playing EA Sports UFC 3 within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: MartialMind's honest thoughts after playing EA Sports UFC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
Few things.

I like lots of strikes, I don't think think completely sim mma game would work. It would end up with doing a lot nothing. (An example would be round 2 of Lawler vs Cerrone or any of Woodley's recent fights)

Wanted to note I'm not the David brought up at beginning of video, lol

Sleeper cars are the best

Are game changers not allowed to bring electronics with storage inside ea building? (Cell, tablets, ect?) I was curious about that since martial didn't have examples to show what was wrong with animations.
I hate strike heavy fights. For me, if a fight has fighters throwing 150 strikes per round, it means that the damage and stopping power is too low. I would love to get away from a meta that is too brawl heavy. I think Martial feels the same.

We are allowed to bring phones, laptops and tablets into EA.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
Few things.

I like lots of strikes, I don't think think completely sim mma game would work. It would end up with doing a lot nothing. (An example would be round 2 of Lawler vs Cerrone or any of Woodley's recent fights)

Wanted to note I'm not the David brought up at beginning of video, lol

Sleeper cars are the best

Are game changers not allowed to bring electronics with storage inside ea building? (Cell, tablets, ect?) I was curious about that since martial didn't have examples to show what was wrong with animations.
Just because strikes aren't being thrown doesn't necessarily mean nothing is happening. Footwork, angles, clinch fighting, hand fighting, wrist control, takedown battles against the cage are all things that can happen in between striking.

The key is getting those things to matter and feel meaningful and strategic to the players so that it doesn't feel like nothing.

I can guarantee that Woodley and Maia didn't feel like nothing was happening in their fight. They had a lot going on, they just weren't throwing. That's an extreme example but still.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #11
MVP

Bigg Cee's Arena

so is it safe to say that EA reused a lot of the ugly striking animations from UFC 2 into UFC 3?

Makes me wonder how the ground animations are going to be?! There's a lot of ugly stuff in the ground game for them to re use anything. Ground and Pound at times looks very clunky and awkward.

Last edited by Bigg Cee; 08-06-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #12
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Cee
so is it safe to say that EA reused a lot of the ugly striking animations from UFC 2 into UFC 3?

Makes me wonder how the ground animations are going to be?! There's a lot of ugly stuff in the ground game for them to re use anything. Ground and Pound at times looks very clunky and awkward.
No. The animations are very different than UFC2. What Martial was talking about was there were 4-5 animations that he didnt like. A few of them were important ones that are used alot. He had a discussion with the devs about it and after a little bit of a debate, they agreed to change the animation to another one they mocapped.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #13
MVP

Bigg Cee's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
No. The animations are very different than UFC2. What Martial was talking about was there were 4-5 animations that he didnt like. A few of them were important ones that are used alot. He had a discussion with the devs about it and after a little bit of a debate, they agreed to change the animation to another one they mocapped.
Are there a lot of extra mocapped strikes that they have that you guys saw, but just never used for some reason.

I was wondering what goes into the process of picking the right animation for certain strikes and how they get put into a game knowing that they are ugly or just the wrong look for the situation?
Old 08-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #14
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

The animation talk reminds me of the leg kick health events in the beta, lol. Those were over the top.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #15
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Cee
Are there a lot of extra mocapped strikes that they have that you guys saw, but just never used for some reason.

I was wondering what goes into the process of picking the right animation for certain strikes and how they get put into a game knowing that they are ugly or just the wrong look for a situation?
Keep in mind, movesets werent implemented in the game yet. I have no idea how many extra mocapped strikes there are but they did a bunch of mocap for striking so I doubt there is only one or two kind of strikes. Now, I dont know if they will include all of those strikes in the game but I hope they will.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #16
EA Game Changer

ZombieRommel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaari
That sounds amazing. Sign me up.
Exactly. Game couldn't be in better hands.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »