Home

So, why should i attack first?

This is a discussion on So, why should i attack first? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2017, 11:11 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: So, why should i attack first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Everyone isn't a good counter striker.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
But you dont need to be a "good counter striker" when the attacking player constantly puts himself in a disadvantage every time he attacks vs someone who can block more and never put himself into that situation.

Im just saying, maybe the guys that played the game can give us some info on how powerful this "vulnerability" mechanic really is.

I really dont want to be KO'ed every time im throwing a strike and getting hit once because of that new mechanic.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:11 PM   #10
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I've had a ton of fights and I'm always surprised when someone goes for a straight takedown. I can't speak on them being easy or not, but that's just my experience from fighting others. It's a clinch takedown 90% of the time.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #11
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypeRNT
But you dont need to be a "good counter striker" when the attacking player constantly puts himself in a disadvantage every time he attacks vs someone who can block more and never put himself into that situation.

Im just saying, maybe the guys that played the game can give us some info on how powerful this "vulnerability" mechanic really is.

I really dont want to be KO'ed every time im throwing a strike and getting hit once because of that new mechanic.
The attacking player needs to be careful, just like they always should. We haven't played the game, so we don't even know how this is going to play out. Being concerned this far out seems really premature. Being scared to throw a punch doesn't make any sense to me.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2017, 01:03 AM   #12
EA Game Changer

Kenetic NRG's Arena

Because weak block won't save you anymore
Old 11-05-2017, 01:17 AM   #13
MVP

Bigg Cee's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenetic NRG
Because weak block won't save you anymore
does the block animation still look the same as UFC 2?
Old 11-05-2017, 01:41 AM   #14
Pro

The Vulnerable mechanic or logic isn't really new. To EA UFC yes it is. Fight Night Champion, EA MMA, & UFC Undisputed always had high level risk of being rocked, knocked down or KO'd based of the choices you make when striking. If you played any of those games you should be able to adjust.

So many things from each game that gave you a risk for your actions. EA MMA & UFC Undisputed it would be technique and dashing strikes that would make you more vulnerable to being rocked or ko'd. Even takedowns in both games were risky because of the intercept knees. I remember I've knocked people out with the first punch in Undisputed when I countered a sprinting jab. As well having the first punch or flying Knee end the fight in EA MMA Online Fight Cards.

FNC your risk was higher of being rocked, dropped or Flash KO'd based off what kind of counter you received, such as running into a punch with your Headmovement, dashing into a punch, getting countered when trying to use the power modifier. Any strike could do this but Power strikes had a higher chance of it happening compared to regular strikes.

People felt no threat in EA UFC 2 which is why over aggressively attacking had little risk and much reward.
Going to the body 4-8 times then going for a sliding side kick to the head or body had little risk but great reward. Throwing continuous spinning back kicks had very little risk so people took advantage of it. Not to mention permanent stamina cost for such tactics even missing those strikes had very little risk. That won't work in EA UFC 3.

I'm excited about them finally adding this to the EA UFC series. This not being in the game is also part of what made the AI weak in EA UFC 1 & 2 compared to the AI in UFC Undisputed, EA MMA, & Fight Night.

EA UFC 2's AI was easy because you were able to throw alot of aggressive combos with no risk at all of being rocked or ko'd by the computer. I don't see that being an issue in EA UFC 3.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:52 AM   #15
Rookie

It'll be fine if clean strikes deal significant damage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2017, 01:59 AM   #16
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Before EA UFC 3, only EA MMA had an actual vulnerability system.

The other games had probability involved in the health events. Higher damage meant higher probability. And in EA UFC2 there was a breakpoint, to avoid rocks happening due to tiny damage (like the ridiculous rocks through block that happened in EA UFC1). But these (probablistic) games are in a whole different league, a lower league, imo, when it comes to the health system.

Also, given the enormous benefit of hindsight and the greater scope of the production, you can expect EA UFC 3 to have an even better health system than EA MMA.

And to answer the question of the Original Post... well, I can't answer it in detail, but I can asure you that this isn't a problem at all. This doesn't mean that your question doesn't have merit. For Honor was a very promising game that ended up being too defensive. This stuff can happen to games. But EA UFC 3 is in no danger at all of being such a case. Kenetic mentioned blocking... and there are other factors that make it so turtling isn't viable.

Another point is that catching people coming in isn't as easy as it may seem. Not only do you need amazing reflexes to intercept people on reaction, you also need to be using a faster attack. So, the game of intercepting people is usually not purely based on reaction, which means it's not something you can just "spam" without risk, like you can (sort of) do with the parries in For Honor.

Last edited by Solid_Altair; 11-05-2017 at 02:02 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »