Home

Grapple Advantage ?

This is a discussion on Grapple Advantage ? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Grapple Advantage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKEZERO
All of it is a made up thing, like reactive, locked in denials. The GA just helps game flow and in some instances like the sprawl, it's an anti trolling measure. The ground has way more things to address like there is fundamentally zero wrestling... except the submission mini game. For what we have, and please believe everyone knows it's a work in progress, GA is fine. It may take another 10 years of development to translate a realistic ground experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Minor transitions with high success rates are a better way to avoid stalling and spamming.

From sprawl, how about sitting to half guard, especially if timed when top player punches?

From turtle, an arm trap would make it hard to get punch spammed and all transitions denied.

GA isn’t needed. Just give small changes for more ways out
Old 11-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #18
Pro

Also... we’ve bantered for a while here, which has been fun.

But is GA confirmed for this new game? Maybe they came to their senses and we’re debating for no reason
Old 11-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #19
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

I feel anyone who grapples in real life hates GA.

Anyone with no experience grappling, doesn't care.

"Grapple Advantage" is a joke.

I am totally obsessed with grappling IRL..... but absolutely hate grappling in EA UFC 2.

Something about that is wrong.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Last edited by Haz____; 11-17-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:02 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
I feel anyone who grapples in real life hates GA.

Anyone with no experience grappling, doesn't care.

"Grapple Advantage" is a joke.

I am absolutely, completely, totally obsessed with grappling IRL..... but absolutely hate grappling in EA UFC 2.

Something about that is wrong.
I agree with the first part. I avoided saying that so I didn’t come off the wrong way by saying that those who don’t grapple are missing the point
Old 11-16-2017, 11:32 PM   #21
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

I think I still prefer U3's ground game mechanics but I never got to play it online. The only real problem I had with it is the same problem I've had in every other MMA game, which is easy one button/flick sweeps/reversals.

But UFC 2's system isn't bad, but the GA could definitely use some tweaks at certain positions. BTW, what is the best way to deal with rubber guard spam? Posturing up? I started playing online again recently and I haven't had it happen often enough to really know how to react to. But that's definitely one of the things the GA system needs work on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2017, 12:33 AM   #22
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGhost
I think I still prefer U3's ground game mechanics but I never got to play it online. The only real problem I had with it is the same problem I've had in every other MMA game, which is easy one button/flick sweeps/reversals.

But UFC 2's system isn't bad, but the GA could definitely use some tweaks at certain positions. BTW, what is the best way to deal with rubber guard spam? Posturing up? I started playing online again recently and I haven't had it happen often enough to really know how to react to. But that's definitely one of the things the GA system needs work on.
Go read the recent comments (should still be on the first page) about using a monitor rather than a TV. Best I could gather (and I think Dave or someone said it explicitly), that using the monitor was the only consistent way to block rubber guard.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:54 AM   #23
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

Yeah I guess I over reacted a bit. The grappling system in itself is ok, but it just needs more transitions. More options. If each position had more options you wouldnt need an artificial mechanic like "Grapple Advantage" to balance it out.

Artificial systems like that do nothing but encourage unrealistic, and awkward gameplay, in an attempt by the player to milk the most efficiency out of the system, which doesn't necessarily correlate with realism.

Perfect example: Combo Multiplier.
Another artificial system put into place in an attempt at balance, which did nothing but warp the meta game into some absurd MMA Killer Instinct.

Grapple Advantage is the analog to Combo Multiplier.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Last edited by Haz____; 11-17-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:43 AM   #24
Pro

Icon14 Re: Grapple Advantage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
Yeah I guess I over reacted a bit. The grappling system in itself is ok, but it just needs more transitions. More options. If each position had more options you wouldnt need an artificial mechanic like "Grapple Advantage" to balance it out.

Artificial systems like that do nothing but encourage unrealistic, and awkward gameplay, in an attempt by the player to milk the most efficiency out of the system, which doesn't necessarily correlate with realism.

Perfect example: Combo Multiplier.
Another artificial system put into place in an attempt at balance, which did nothing but warp the meta game into some absurd MMA Killer Instinct.

Grapple Advantage is the analog to Combo Multiplier.
You got it, brother! Finally someone who understands exactly what I'm saying

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »