Home

The New Combination System and Why You Shouldn't Be Worried.

This is a discussion on The New Combination System and Why You Shouldn't Be Worried. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The New Combination System and Why You Shouldn't Be Worried.

Some of you guys are worried about the combination system and I think you are misunderstanding what it brings to the table. You are thinking just because there is a combo list that you have to go into the menu and look at the inputs and learn them like you do in MK. You won't need to do that if you know basic combos and techniques. They will just work for you when you try them the first time. It will be that easy. What you may need to go into the menu and look for is special combos assigned to fighters specifically. For example the awesome combo Cerrone landed on Rick Story is probably assigned to him, and it's faster and smoother when he uses it than anyone else. (This is just speculation and only used as an example.) You will still be able to throw that same combo with other fighters it just won't be as fluid as it is with Cerrone.

Most that are worried are not understanding that this is not a restricted list of combos and these are the only combos you are allowed to throw. A fighters combo list is just a list of combinations they are proficient with. Boxers are more proficient in, well boxing combinations. Muay Thai guys are more proficient in combinations involving knee, elbow, and kicking techniques. So on and so forth with other styles. There is nothing to worry about here. This is going to make styles stand out and as we all know styles make fights. This will also make fighters stand out as unique because they will have combinations specifically assigned to them that they are proficient with. Combinations we have seen them throw in devastating fashion in real life. This is not turning the game into a traditional fighting game like MK people. It is turning the game into a realistic representation of fighting with styles instead of throwing anything you want to wildly and everyone being relatively the same with all combos and techniques.

Maybe I'm wrong. I have not played the game yet. I do believe though that this new combo system will better represent what we see in the cage in real life. This brings a whole new and realistic aspect to game planning and executing real life combinations. Techniques you know already because you have knowledge of striking and the sport will work. You will also have a list of combinations you didn't know about and you can practice them and become proficient with them just like fighters do in real life during their training camps.

I hope this post eases some worry I have seen here. I welcome the change and hope to see you all in the beta!

Last edited by smokeface; 11-25-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
MVP

Re: The New Combination System and Why You Shouldn't Be Worried.

because the new combo is going to get the benefit of frames and damage. I am worried about that. I could be wrong but It will makes the game as the combo festival. combo vs combo in the whole fight. Its very arcade.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tissues250
because the new combo is going to get the benefit of frames and damage. I am worried about that. I could be wrong but It will makes the game as the combo festival. combo vs combo in the whole fight. Its very arcade.
What about head movement and counter punching? When you slip the first strike in their combo you have an opportunity to counter. I believe counter punching will be just as devastating as landing one of these combos. This is an aspect that is not in traditional fighting games to the extent it is in UFC 3. When your defense is on point and your opponent keeps throwing combos I believe you will be able to punish them significantly. You will force them to calm down and go slower or get knocked out.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
Pro

Combos won't be an issue now with stamina management being more realistic. If we go out there trying to take our opponents head off like McGregor Diaz 1 UFC 196 we will gas out like McGregor did.

The intuitive controls, as well many other new mechanics, RPM Tech, New damage, vulnerability, new stamina, new recovery system and the influence of discipline levels effecting combos is no bother for me.

I expect to see many different play styles in EA UFC 3. Especially with new headmovement, new blocking, new footwork, and no parry and vulnerability will change the approach people have to strike.

I wanted a system or stat that worked liked this to effect the speed, stringing and efficiency of combinations like it does in FNC. EA found a different way to implement something like that into a MMA as an awesome addition to the game.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

If done well, this will be a good thing, not a bad thing, and it sounds like it's been done well (guess we'll see soon!)

The only thing I am not too sure about is the ability to pre-load/queue a combo --- instead of having to input the strikes in real-time ---- not ideal in my book.

That said, the best defense against 'combo spammers' (oh yea, we will hear that a lot lol) will be to...make them miss!

They keep 'spamming' 3 or 4 strike combos?

Play some Defense and make them miss. After awhile, they'll be slowing down, you may begin to read their 'combo spam', and voila --- COUNTER TIME BABY
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tissues250
Aaaaaand...you don't get it. The vulnerability, stamina, stopping power, etc. prevent it from being combo vs combo arcade style. The combo stuff is ONE aspect of the striking.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaach
Combos won't be an issue now with stamina management being more realistic. If we go out there trying to take our opponents head off like McGregor Diaz 1 UFC 196 we will gas out like McGregor did.

The intuitive controls, as well many other new mechanics, RPM Tech, New damage, vulnerability, new stamina, new recovery system and the influence of discipline levels effecting combos is no bother for me.

I expect to see many different play styles in EA UFC 3. Especially with new headmovement, new blocking, new footwork, and no parry and vulnerability will change the approach people have to strike.

I wanted a system or stat that worked liked this to effect the speed, stringing and efficiency of combinations like it does in FNC. EA found a different way to implement something like that into a MMA as an awesome addition to the game.
Yup this. I'm really excited to see how the stamina works in game. Sounds similar to that of FNC and I loved how stamina worked in FNC.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:37 PM   #8
Rookie

I speak with respect to the debs, but here's a little constructive feedback -

I hope there won't be combo multiplier abuse like in EA UFC 2. I can take those combos and work it out, but the combo damage with players like Lawler and Woodley is too OP, especially when I'm Nick Diaz and it takes just a few well placed combos to put me in damn near permanent danger zone playing an equal player with Lawler.

I just feel like fighters take combos all the time in general and a few well timed combos don't multiply damage as fast as it does in the game. What I'm hoping is, that the combo multiplier can't be abused by the experts of it... I'd like combos to be able to be thrown, maybe there'll be increased damage, okay - but nothing like EA UFC 2. That was a frustration for me, and cut my ability to win off skill short a couple times. We all can struggle in a match, and win. I just want that right to be able to do that, because the combo multiplier in EA UFC 2 can be a cheese problem many times. And I love EA UFC 2, that's just one loophole I've noticed other games abuse for a quick W.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »